Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Those of is that are fortunate (or possibly unfortunate) to have been around for a few years may recall the work barassi had to do to get the 70s list of underachieving players with potential to be a 2 premiership team might have an idea of whats required to succeed. And we havnt even got to the talented list phase yet.

Could prolly say the same thing about the list pagen inherited. Again we are miles away from that still.
Barassi got us into a GF in his second season I'm pretty sure. First year was '73?

And I wonder wtf has happened to those guys like LMac, Jye, Corr... Like this is literally the worst they've played in their careers. They wouldn't even make it on a clubs list via the SSP if this was their U18 form.

WTAF is going on? How do you regress so badly? Surely they can see it in themselves? Or is it like when one partner is cheating and the rest of The World knows, but they just have NFI with their head in the sand?

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Cant speak for corr ( never really impressed me anyway) but i think jy and lmac are genuinely damaged goods after jys concussions and lukes hammie.

It would be a dream to pick up a player like Pendlebury for 12 months, would do so much for our kids. Any other retirees a possibility (fantasy) for 2025? Not that he has announced a retirement but what an amazing get he would be.

You're absolutely right we had great home grown talent topped up by the players brought in with the 10 year rule. I know our current predicament is very different.

Cant speak for corr ( never really impressed me anyway) but i think jy and lmac are genuinely damaged goods after jys concussions and lukes hammie.
Yeah, that chase and tackle on Rioli was epic. A career defining moment, just in the polar opposite direction of the way we'd hoped.

Agree on Jye. Hopefully he comes good with time.

Yeah, that chase and tackle on Rioli was epic. A career defining moment, just in the polar opposite direction of the way we'd hoped.

Agree on Jye. Hopefully he comes good with time.

Worth revisiting, note at 0:04 he was 10 meters behind with 2 players between them!

Last edited:
I hope the resilience of the playing group is stronger than the resilience of a large portion of the members and supporters.
Let me tell ya something ...it's not, not even close. We had a really good sized crowd for the Hawthorn game - members turned up - the players didn't and they haven't done so for a long time now.

I hope the resilience of the playing group is stronger than the resilience of a large portion of the members and supporters.
Mate, I turn up every week and so do many people on here.

If you want to pot supporters for getting incredibly sick of the horrific performances coming from players that should know better and should expect better from coaching themselves, then I have nothing else to say to you.

We are being literally killed mentally by the 'leadership' of this team and it's making Clarko's job more hell than it needs to be. Not to mention the negative impact it's having on young players that want to contribute and win by all means. It has never been more crucial for a young team to have some form of guidance so there isn't animosity and players looking rudderless in the heat of battle.
This isn't just about us anymore. It's about the young players that deserve better leaders and standards. It's simply not good enough. When I witness Sheezel or Wardlaw looking absolutely spent because they've tried their absolute best to get us somewhere but then look at the more experienced players and it's the same s**t every week.

I can't let that s**t slide. This is a footy club in a rebuild that has its experienced players sitting on the back of blokes that are 18/19 years old. Maybe it's Clarko giving the keys to the young players and it looks like that, but with that much talent in crucial positions, I'm not seeing the support those players need. Not even close!

I will continue supporting this club, but the team's mindset needs to shift drastically. I can cop being belted, but I ain't gonna cop it if our players don't lead at the ball carrier, don't zone properly, hesitate, don't go in as hard as they can, don't provide direction and setup plays, don't do the basics well so we don't get belted every week... etc.. etc.

Comben has shown more leadership than the co-captains combined. Along with Sheezel and Wardlaw. Go figure that. Disgraceful.

Last edited:
We have no one, ABSOLUTELY NO ONE in the 26 and above group that can help move this team forward.

How does Clarko work with that? Can anyone tell me?
We need to potentially trade pick 1 this year and get some mature heads in

Similar to how Brisbane got Hodge to come in for leadership when they sucked

Drafting another teenage mid isn't the answer we are going to lose all the talent to other clubs and free agency if we don't start being more competitive.

We need to potentially trade pick 1 this year and get some mature heads in

Similar to how Brisbane got Hodge to come in for leadership when they sucked

Drafting another teenage mid isn't the answer we are going to lose all the talent to other clubs and free agency if we don't start being more competitive.
We don't need to trade pick 1 to do that. Hodge could've walked straight to Lions as an unrestricted free agent but they worked out an exchange of later draft picks so as to not dilute the compensation picks from other deals.

We could also split the 1st and/or 2nd round picks into multiple selections to both draft top 35 kids and/or trade for targets.
Otherwise use the cap space on mature leaders from successful clubs or trade with later selections.
But it's easier said than done as it requires players actually wanting to come to us in our current situation.

Feel like we used to get some more ITK info when s**t was hitting the fan. Need a campfire and beer open and honest session within the team, I guarantee letting some of the emotion out would help the morale more than they know

Feel like we used to get some more ITK info when s**t was hitting the fan. Need a campfire and beer open and honest session within the team, I guarantee letting some of the emotion out would help the morale more than they know

Knowing our luck four of our best would go down with smoke inhalation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me tell ya something ...it's not, not even close. We had a really good sized crowd for the Hawthorn game - members turned up - the players didn't and they haven't done so for a long time now.
Main problem is from the shoulders up.

The players have also suffered at the hands of some of the most crap decisions made by football department prior to Clarko and Viney.

Must get to you eventually!

Winless with a % in the 50's is a little more than "patches of inconsistency" in games.

Partly the journo's fault for not asking the hard questions, but he really needs to address the form of the senior players in some of these press conferences.

He keeps putting blame on "lapses" and the "inexperienced players...."

It's not just them though.

Im yet to hear him call out Simpkin/McDonald, LDU's drop in form from even his injury interrupted games in 2023, Corr in general, Zurhaar going completely invisible in these run ons.

If he's not calling out the drop in form of some of these guys, we are nowhere near close to getting some accountability at selection.

Barassi got us into a GF in his second season I'm pretty sure. First year was '73?

And had stars from other clubs come in and set the standards

Who do we have doing that?

Luke McDonald? Zurhaar? LDU? Simpkin? Please

Remove this Banner Ad

Back