Toast Alex Pearce

Remove this Banner Ad

AP stays in for the rest of the year

He has done a good job but during the finals i think a back 6 of

Dawson / Mcpharlin / Spurr
Sutcliffe / Johnson / X running player (Sheridan/Duffield/Hill etc)

is a bit more stable.

i agree AP is a huge talent but we're in the business of winning football games and i'd reckon in the finals type environment AP is going to drop out. In the short term obviously.

Pearce has shown he will be a very very good backman but unfortunately not many premiership teams have a first year player playing a key post.

Perhaps someone who looks at numbers can comment but historically I thought that very young players struggle to continue to perform consistantly beyond about 10/12 matches. I'm not saying that AP is going to drop his bundle but rather fatigue will be a factor this season and I would think he will need to managed carefully if he is to play through to the end.

Still I have been loving what he has delivered so far this season. I think I can join my comments to others and say that we have a player in whom the hopes look like being well founded.

is a bit more stable.

i agree AP is a huge talent but we're in the business of winning football games and i'd reckon in the finals type environment AP is going to drop out. In the short term obviously.
Ibbotson over Dawson, honestly Dawson should only come in if Mcpharlin is out/rested and Silvagni is not ready.

I think you're forgetting how much of a general Dawson is back there. That's his main value.
As finals swing around i would expect Johnno back who already takes that role too, i just feel like dawson is a downgrade now and we can't risk that disposal and slowness out of our defence due to the fast pace end to end game plan thats now in place.

As finals swing around i would expect Johnno back who already takes that role too, i just feel like dawson is a downgrade now and we can't risk that disposal and slowness out of our defence due to the fast pace end to end game plan thats now in place.

I almost think the opposite. Even with Dawson out of the team our ball movement out of defence is so slow and lackluster that the benefit of having Dawson back outweighs the negatives.

he did indeed.

Generally if a player does his ACL when he is younger it can simply be due to growing, and it will often not be a big problem later on, so i'm not too worried about that.

i'm more worried about his complete lack of football ability.
When I saw him play against Sydney in the preseason he looked as unfit as Casey Sibosado

1 RICH Kamdyn McIntosh
2 WB Mitch Honeychurch
3 SYD Isaac Heeney
4 CARL Patrick Cripps
5 GC Adam Saad
6 GEEL Cory Gregson
7 HAW Billy Hartung
8 GWS Cam McCarthy
9 MELB Jesse Hogan
10 MELB Angus Brayshaw
11 COLL Tim Broomhead
12 WB Tom Boyd
13 ADEL Charlie Cameron
14 STK Jack Lonie
15 WCE Dom Sheed
16 GC Touk Miller

Out of that lot, obviously McCarthy and Hogan stand out while Cripps and Brayshaw are beauties. You couldn't say the rest are better than AP and if I had to bet right now I'd say only Hogan and Cripps will be better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you're being harsh on Saad, Gregson, Cameron and Sheed who have all played nearly every game this season and also had pretty impressive seasons.

1 RICH Kamdyn McIntosh
2 WB Mitch Honeychurch
3 SYD Isaac Heeney
4 CARL Patrick Cripps
5 GC Adam Saad
6 GEEL Cory Gregson
7 HAW Billy Hartung
8 GWS Cam McCarthy
9 MELB Jesse Hogan
10 MELB Angus Brayshaw
11 COLL Tim Broomhead
12 WB Tom Boyd
13 ADEL Charlie Cameron
14 STK Jack Lonie
15 WCE Dom Sheed
16 GC Touk Miller

Out of that lot, obviously McCarthy and Hogan stand out while Cripps and Brayshaw are beauties. You couldn't say the rest are better than AP and if I had to bet right now I'd say only Hogan and Cripps will be better.
Purple goggles much?

is a bit more stable.

Wait! No Garrick Ibbotson in your back six? :eek: With the stellar year he's been having?

Wait! No Garrick Ibbotson in your back six? :eek: With the stellar year he's been having?

I see Ibbo as filling MJ's position, at present.

When MJ & Dawson are ready to resume, I see MJ resuming his "drifting" position, Dawson to take over from Baby Pearce. Ibbo shuffles along to another role in the back 6.

Happy with Dawson, Elvis & Spurr at the back.

Ibbo, MJ and a runner ( Sutty, Hill, Sheridan or even Baby Pearce if a another tall back needed).

Pearce is coming along very nicely, but when fit, Dawson has the experience. Fast forward 12 months, this will probably have changed.

Alex Pearce has definitely played his way in to this team. I don't think he'll be an automatic out when Dawson is available. I'm hoping he gets a run upthe wing when Dawson is back. He is a good mark, a reliable kick, has a pretty good set of wheels and knows where to put the footy. We need players like that on the field. I can think of at least 4 guys who should be out of the side before him.

We have never shied away from going tall in the midfield. Chuck him on a wing. He doesn't have the body to play as an inside mid, but he could quite happily continue his development on a wing. Gives us flexibility if a tall gets injured in the middle of a game as well.

Alex Pearce has definitely played his way in to this team. I don't think he'll be an automatic out when Dawson is available. I'm hoping he gets a run upthe wing when Dawson is back. He is a good mark, a reliable kick, has a pretty good set of wheels and knows where to put the footy. We need players like that on the field. I can think of at least 4 guys who should be out of the side before him.

We have never shied away from going tall in the midfield. Chuck him on a wing. He doesn't have the body to play as an inside mid, but he could quite happily continue his development on a wing. Gives us flexibility if a tall gets injured in the middle of a game as well.

He doesn't have anywhere near the fitness required to play full time midfield.

Playing him in the middle is a good idea especially with his agility and quick decision making. Reminds me when Sam reid did that against us at subi this year and killed us in our rebounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back