Another alleged racial abuse incident, this time at Buddy Franklin

Remove this Banner Ad

I think if someone invaded the field wearing a white sheet and burning a cross you would get some people on here denying it was racist.

Post the Goodes incident anyone who makes the argument that they are unaware that ape or monkey - when directed at indigenous players - is not a racially loaded insult is being disingenuous.

not even i would deny that being racist. but the way our society is the fact that it's racist would be a much bigger deal than the fact that there's a mad man in the stadium setting s**t on fire

I don't think this was a one off incident with Goodes either.

Couldn't possibly compare with the older indigenous players either. Lets be real here and not extreme as to say its the same as 20 years back because of what 3 incidents in 5 years?

At least if they were cut deep it would have been able to point out 10-12 people using b words and c words and all kind of blatant in your face racist diatribe that half the crowd would have accepted as par for the day from certain ferals. And a weekly proposition when "away". I do agree how Goodes having his time again wouldn't have pointed the girl out. The man is a champion and himself said in a round about way his actions were a mistake. He was reacting to childhood scars in essence.

Race relations are excellent. That shouldn't even be a phrase to note or a topic for debate in 2014. But when someone equates a person to an animal its not exactly casting us back to 1900 if they happen to be indigenous. Or even 1990, when real racist rants would have been common.

I feel its wrong when certain people roll their eyes and cast judgment on common sense viewpoints.

I think if someone invaded the field wearing a white sheet and burning a cross you would get some people on here denying it was racist.
They'd probably just think it was these jolly jokers.

article-dockers3.jpg

Rubbish.

"You're a rapist **** you" yelled at Milne is targeted purely at Milne.

"You're aboriginal **** you" is targeted at Buddy/Goodes/whoever but suggests ANYONE who's aboriginal is lesser than others because of that.

Can't believe I'm having to explain this.

Calling Milne a rapist could be seen as insulting to rapists, and also to the 'innocent before proven guilty' doctrine

Couldn't possibly compare with the older indigenous players either. Lets be real here and not extreme as to say its the same as 20 years back because of what 3 incidents in 5 years?

At least if they were cut deep it would have been able to point out 10-12 people using b words and c words and all kind of blatant in your face racist diatribe that half the crowd would have accepted as par for the day from certain ferals. And a weekly proposition when "away". I do agree how Goodes having his time again wouldn't have pointed the girl out. The man is a champion and himself said in a round about way his actions were a mistake. He was reacting to childhood scars in essence.

Race relations are excellent. That shouldn't even be a phrase to note or a topic for debate in 2014. But when someone equates a person to an animal its not exactly casting us back to 1900 if they happen to be indigenous. Or even 1990, when real racist rants would have been common.

I feel its wrong when certain people roll their eyes and cast judgment on common sense viewpoints.

What you (and a lot of people) don't seem to grasp is that people have grown up hearing this s**t daily.

And do you know why? Because they stood there and took it.

Sorry but I'm not going to take that s**t, I'm not going to sit in restaurant with my kids and hear people at the next table make jokes about us being frozen faeces. Telling my family don't look at them just ignore it and try to change the subject.

I don't give a s**t if it's a one off, the s**t only stops if you speak up about it.

As for people carrying on "oh but their superstars paid millions of dollars." we guess what the kids in ear shot aren't, instead of making excuse after excuse. Because you don't like the player, take a moment to realise that saying nothing teaches these uneducated feral a-hole that it's fine to denigrate other people's race.

And what about any indigenous kid in earshot? He should just sit there and try to ignore it right?

How many times are racists going to get excuses made for them in footy?
Land of the faloffo, oh it was just a joke
You ******* ape, she... Ummm meant he was hairy and unco.
King Kong, oh Ummm stop being sensitive.
Harry'o is indigenous, let's just pretend he didn't call a Brazilian guy aboriginal because he's black.
Ape, again um s**t he's ah 70 and it was a slip of the tongue and it's a normal insult I totally go around calling people apes everyday!

So just how many times are people supposed to put up with the s**t before a line is crossed once? Twice? Twenty? How many?

Yes I do deny that "ape" has been a long and commonly used word to describe Indigenous Australians.

Now over to you. Answer the question.

To answer in the same manner as you:
"Ape" has been used for centuries as a racist term.

You didn't answer the question, so why should I bother engaging with you

He pointed out people who used words used to describe big hairy ugly men(which he is). He made it about a race by indicating that is what offended him.

I've heard many common unsavoury terms used to describe our indigenous population over the years by racists. None of which were words commonly linked to black people with African heritage. '

His offence shouldn't be that he's likened to Primates. It's that so many people think he big, hairy and ugly.
You have no idea how ordinary your opinion is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sorry, I've been trying to work out what common slur this equates to, and I can't come up with anything.

aboriginal in a freeze "joke" that was just the height of insightful and witty commentary one was graced with hearing at slizzer on fairly regular occasion in the early 90's.

Brilliant post

Especially from a maggot cats fan:eek::p:D

dont get all touchy cause your team is not in finals;), call goodes a maggot and see how far you get, the way that two faced prick pretends anything hurts him is beyond pathetic, lets pull the bird though lol. oh such a class act, please educate us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back