Anti-Australia ABC does it again - Dapto Dogs under threat!

Remove this Banner Ad

You claimed that we need animals for food. This is incorrect. We eat meat because we enjoy it. Just like we enjoy animals for entertainment purposes. By your reckoning, to minimise harm, it is more moral to kill an animal for food than train it as a race horse or have a lion perform in a circus show.
We eat meat because it is the most efficient method of turning pasture that is unsuitable for cropping into protein.

We eat meat because it is the most efficient method of turning pasture that is unsuitable for cropping into protein.

I would like the rib eye steak, medium rare - because it is the most efficient method of turning pasture that is unsuitable for cropping into protein. Said no one ever.

I would like the rib eye steak, medium rare - because it is the most efficient method of turning pasture that is unsuitable for cropping into protein. Said no one ever.
I want to get married because ancient cultures needed a way to ensure property could be reliably passed between generations. Said no one ever.

I want to get married because ancient cultures needed a way to ensure property could be reliably passed between generations. Said no one ever.

I was at a wedding the other day and the happy couple commented that they were getting married because ancient cultures needed a way to ensure property could be reliably passed between generations. And they had chosen beef for guests to eat - because it is the most efficient method of turning pasture that is unsuitable for cropping into protein.

No wait, neither of these things are true. No one ever said them.

I was at a wedding the other day and the happy couple commented that they were getting married because ancient cultures needed a way to ensure property could be reliably passed between generations. And they had chosen beef for guests to eat - because it is the most efficient method of turning pasture that is unsuitable for cropping into protein.

No wait, neither of these things are true. No one ever said them.
That for agreeing that both statements are absurd.

Your false equivalence just makes what you said absurd.
As usual, you need things spelled out or you'll carry on with this obtuse routine.

But I can't be bothered. Carry on with whatever it is you think you're doing.

here i was thinking i hate pork ribs because they taste good.

Turns out i'm an environmentalist!

giphy.gif

What are you trying to say? Is flavour not related to nutrients? There's a reason people crave the umami taste. Because it is associated with protein.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is a girly man?
It was directed at me as an insult because one of the sources I quoted was from a site apparently read more by women than men. And of course the article in question was written by a woman.

It's what is done when you have no comeback to the actual argument being presented - attack the message and deflect from the actual topic.

Which has been a constant theme from the poster in question during this thread. Why do you think cats started being discussed for example?

http://www.mamamia.com.au/social/is-greyhound-racing-cruel/

It was directed at me as an insult because one of the sources I quoted was from a site apparently read more by women than men. And of course the article in question was written by a woman.
It's what is done when you have no comeback to the actual argument being presented - attack the message and deflect from the actual topic.
Which has been a constant theme from the poster in question during this thread. Why do you think cats started being discussed for example?
http://www.mamamia.com.au/social/is-greyhound-racing-cruel/
"It's what is done when you have no comeback to the actual argument being presented - attack the message and deflect from the actual topic."
Sadly happens a lot with some posters.
I thought it may have meant that a male has a sensitive side and that it was a negative slur.

Poster in question may well know a thing or two about the dogs, he exemplifies their I don't give a f*** attitude.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/grey...gn_code=nocode&promote_channel=social_twitter
A greyhound once banned from racing over the live-baiting scandal has won $30,000 in a group one race after authorities backflipped on suspensions following legal threats from owners.

The Greyhound Racing Victoria (GRV) board, citing legal advice, had reversed suspensions on all dogs which were trained by the 15 people currently under investigation for live-baiting, as long as the owners signed statutory declarations stating they had no knowledge of the illegal training practices.

That decision, which has been heavily criticised by animal rights groups and independent federal MP Andrew Wilkie, allowed Awesome Project to compete in Saturday night's $145,000 group one race at The Meadows, in Melbourne's north.

The dog finished in second place, securing $30,000 in prize money, coming behind My Bro Fabio with the $100,000 victory.

Awesome Project had been previously banned from racing because it was in the care of two-time Australian trainer of the year Darren McDonald, who was a central figure in the damning Four Corners investigation, which showed piglets, rabbits and possums used as live bait to train greyhounds to run faster.

The greyhound's owner, however, threatened legal action to keep the dog in the race.

Trainer Robert Britton, who had fourth-place finisher Above All compete against Awesome Project in the race, said prior to the run that the industry had let itself down and needed reform.

While stressing how he personally didn't have a problem with lifting suspensions, he warned how the industry still needed to be cleaned up.

"It's just one of those things," he said. "It's been a very upsetting week and I think most people just want to get it over with and, as I say, leave all those things to the authorities."

He said the scandal tarnished the reputation of tens of thousands of innocent people involved in greyhound racing.

"The industry has let itself down," he said. "As far as I'm concerned, there are a lot of things that have got to change and I certainly hope, from Monday, it's started."

GRV chairman Peter Caillard said the suspensions were lifted on the greyhounds, not the 15 trainers, and suspensions could return if further evidence is uncovered.

"We are working within the constraints of the law to do what we can to prevent those associated with the live baiting allegations from taking part in the sport any further," he said.

"Importantly, this latest resolution is founded upon a presumption of innocence on the part of the owners."

It's understood GRV is also seeking further legal advice on what to do with prize money won by the once-banned greyhounds if the animals are later found to have been live-baited.

But Mr Wilkie said it was ridiculous to allow the greyhounds to keep racing.

"There is more than enough evidence to be sure that there is a widespread problem, so much so that, in my opinion, all races should have been suspended," he said.

"There's no way we'd allow a horse to race this weekend if there was a reasonable suspicion that it had been drugged. It's no better to allow a dog to run that's been trained with an illegal performance-enhancing technique."

Racing Integrity Commissioner Sal Perna declined to comment, citing the on-going investigation.

"It's what is done when you have no comeback to the actual argument being presented - attack the message and deflect from the actual topic."
Sadly happens a lot with some posters.
I thought it may have meant that a male has a sensitive side and that it was a negative slur.
Yeah, the actual gist of the insult is that you care and have compassion and have a bit of decency about you.

A bit like the "bleeding heart" insult thrown around as well.

Personally, I'll wear it as a badge of honour. :)

While I do not condone this, what if they were put down humanely?
As I'm sure you well know, there is already infrastructure in place for undesired greyhounds to be adopted by families.

I think a good general rule is if a plan involves 'dump them in the bush' it probably isn't the right option.

As I'm sure you well know, there is already infrastructure in place for undesired greyhounds to be adopted by families.

I think a good general rule is if a plan involves 'dump them in the bush' it probably isn't the right option.

That doesn't answer the question. What if they were put down humanely?

While I do not condone this, what if they were put down humanely?
For me it is the wastage of life that is the issue, not the way they were killed. If they were killed humanely, that would only marginally reduce my concern.

There is little doubt from what I read that the greyhound racing industry kills untold numbers of perfectly healthy, beautiful animals each year simply because they aren't up to speed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back