Any father-son/father-daughter picks coming up in the near future?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I know, amazed he's not invited though.

Needs four clubs to signify interest in him to be invited? Maybe they all took it as a given that West Coast would draft him?

Just to clarify, can a player be drafted if they aren't invited to a combine (state or national) injuries notwithstanding?

Needs four clubs to signify interest in him to be invited? Maybe they all took it as a given that West Coast would draft him?

Just to clarify, can a player be drafted if they aren't invited to a combine (state or national) injuries notwithstanding?

As far as I'm aware you can nominate for the draft if you are registered with a state league club...

So I guess have played at least one game of Colts? Or just be on their roster. The combine is just another way for clubs to scout.

Yeah they can, just need to attend if invited and have played 1 game in the WAFL comps (for example)
From the 2013 Draft App form;

c. If invited, the player must attend the
NAB AFL Draft Combine or other AFL-approved or
organised test or evaluation, unless the General
Manager, Football Operations considers that
there is a reasonable explanation for the player’s
non-attendance; and
d. The player has:
i. been previously registered with the AFL;
or
ii. been registered continuously from June 1,
immediately preceding the NAB AFL Draft
Selection Meeting and has played at least one
game
in the season immediately preceding
the NAB AFL Draft Selection Meeting in the
State League competition conducted by AFL
Victoria, the WAFC, SANFL, the AFL (NSW/ACT)
Commission, AFL Canberra or AFL Queensland;
or
iii. been registered continuously from or before
June 1, immediately preceding the NAB AFL Draft
Selection Meeting with any recognised Club or
school competition in Victoria, Tasmania, New
South Wales, the Northern Territory, Queensland
or the Australian Capital Territory;

As far as I'm aware you can nominate for the draft if you are registered with a state league club...

So I guess have played at least one game of Colts? Or just be on their roster. The combine is just another way for clubs to scout.

Yeah they can, just need to attend if invited and have played 1 game in the WAFL comps (for example)
From the 2013 Draft App form;

c. If invited, the player must attend the
NAB AFL Draft Combine or other AFL-approved or
organised test or evaluation, unless the General
Manager, Football Operations considers that
there is a reasonable explanation for the player’s
non-attendance; and
d. The player has:
i. been previously registered with the AFL;
or
ii. been registered continuously from June 1,
immediately preceding the NAB AFL Draft
Selection Meeting and has played at least one
game
in the season immediately preceding
the NAB AFL Draft Selection Meeting in the
State League competition conducted by AFL
Victoria, the WAFC, SANFL, the AFL (NSW/ACT)
Commission, AFL Canberra or AFL Queensland;
or
iii. been registered continuously from or before
June 1, immediately preceding the NAB AFL Draft
Selection Meeting with any recognised Club or
school competition in Victoria, Tasmania, New
South Wales, the Northern Territory, Queensland
or the Australian Capital Territory;

thanks guys. :thumbsu:

For those who haven't found it yet there's an awesome thread if you're after footage of draftees on the Phantom Drafts board.

Luke McAlister aka Skippo has uploaded short videos of most of his draftees in the top 30 or so, including Waterman.

Bear in mind as you watch it, it isn't a highlights package, the bad is in there with the good. Personally, I like what I see with Waterman (even though this is not the first time I've seen him play). His clearance work impressed me the most.

That's a really nicely worded piece from Skippo and he's right in regards to it all not coming together yet and who knows what he'll end up being. Like i've said before he likes to play direct, and he is capable of follow up touches running the lines.

Doesn't like to kick as long as he did against Vic Metro, does the discipline thing more often than not but as you see in those clips he can hit long targets when they are there to be kicked at.

If we finish the year poorly and pick him up in the 3rd it'll be a case of daylight robbery.

That's a really nicely worded piece from Skippo and he's right in regards to it all not coming together yet and who knows what he'll end up being. Like i've said before he likes to play direct, and he is capable of follow up touches running the lines.

Doesn't like to kick as long as he did against Vic Metro, does the discipline thing more often than not but as you see in those clips he can hit long targets when they are there to be kicked at.

If we finish the year poorly and pick him up in the 3rd it'll be a case of daylight robbery.

Question is can he kick goals?

Question is can he kick goals?

A goal a game last year playing more time outside and up forward, a goal every second game this year spending more time at the ball drop. So yeah, how that translates up is a different question.

Most pleasing thing for me was another (in addition to you and ROYAL EAGLE) speaking of his burst speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just in that footage needed to be a little more clean picking up the ball and his handballs over 6-7m lacked a bit of penetration. But you can see that bit of burst out of a stoppage and I don't think I saw him get tackled in the congestion too many times.

Waterman looks like the inside player we need to replace Priddis.

Strong, aggressive, hard, skillful by hand and by foot, elite running ability, has vision and is creative. Just needs to lose the bulk and reshape his body and his speed/running ability will improve immensely.

To me he seems like a more inside version of Luke Hodge.

Last edited:
Jordan Matera played on the weekend. Don't know how he went or anything like that, but Brighton Grammar are APS premiers with a 9-0 record.

Have one game left (dead rubber) against Geelong College this Saturday. It's within walking distance for those who like moving, but I will drive down and have a look.

I asked Knightmare why he thought Waterman would have been overlooked for the draft combine and what the effects may be regarding his draft position.

This was Knightmare's reply:

"It could well be less interest than previously many of us many have anticipated with Waterman.

It probably less effects his standing on draft boards as it likely is a reflection of recruiters just not rating him as highly as some may.

WCE could the way things are looking be able to grab Waterman with their final draft selection which would be a good outcome for a well performed strong bodied midfielder."

That is a huge shift in thinking if we could get him for our final pick.

Last edited:
I asked Knightmare why he thought Waterman would have been overlooked for the draft combine and what the effects may be regarding his draft position.

This was Knightmare's reply (I hesitate to quote him without tagging him but I don't know how. Please let me know and I'll include a tag.)

"It could well be less interest than previously many of us many have anticipated with Waterman.

It probably less effects his standing on draft boards as it likely is a reflection of recruiters just not rating him as highly as some may.

WCE could the way things are looking be able to grab Waterman with their final draft selection which would be a good outcome for a well performed strong bodied midfielder."

That is a huge shift in thinking if we could get him for our final pick.

Would be doing cartwheels if that happened.

To tag someone you type @ then their name, InTheWings

Maybe not many clubs nominated him because he isn't available and they know if someone throws a token nomination at the F/S bidding before our second we will 100% take him . I highly doubt we would pass on our second pick . Just a waste of resources to have him tested

Remove this Banner Ad

Back