Any father-son/father-daughter picks coming up in the near future?

Remove this Banner Ad

Won't get past our third if we're lucky enough to see him fall that far. FWIW Cal Twoomey was "surprised" that Alec didn't get an invite, which means other things are in play other than consensus on his standing. Which is what Cal does in fact have a good handle on.

If anyone that thinks F.Watson, A.Anderson, J.Deluca, M.McGovern, J.Garlett or B.Frampton are rated higher by a single AFL club id question their sanity. Blakely, Smith, Cripps and Keitel might well by if utterly subjective from club to club.

I suspect there is a few different things at play (some i've covered) and one of the one i didn't consider was simple exposure bias, we have 10 Victorian clubs and Victoria (Metro) has the strongest group of players by some margin. Given the quantity of good players that also missed i wouldn't read to much into it. Not until we get to end of the season proper and draft talk heats up.

I'd be stoked if we could pick Waterman up with a third rounder. Talk about daylight robbery.

Could make things interesting for us.

What are some midfielders we could get with our 2nd round pick>? Have only really heard talk of the top 4-5 mids.

Won't get past our third if we're lucky enough to see him fall that far. FWIW Cal Twoomey was "surprised" that Alec didn't get an invite, which means other things are in play other than consensus on his standing. Which is what Cal does in fact have a good handle on.

If anyone that thinks F.Watson, A.Anderson, J.Deluca, M.McGovern, J.Garlett or B.Frampton are rated higher by a single AFL club id question their sanity. Blakely, Smith, Cripps and Keitel might well by if utterly subjective from club to club.

I suspect there is a few different things at play (some i've covered) and one of the one i didn't consider was simple exposure bias, we have 10 Victorian clubs and Victoria (Metro) has the strongest group of players by some margin. Given the quantity of good players that also missed i wouldn't read to much into it. Not until we get to end of the season proper and draft talk heats up.
Yes, looking through that list of invitees and some are not worthy of mention. Cal Twomey did have Alec in the top 20 pre championships too IIRC, that flies in the face of some on this board wondering if the WC fans who have seen Alec are the only ones to rate him highly.

I do wonder though, why after that big game against VM he was taken off every 5 or so minutes and not played in the centre square. Also why Hardisty and Lim played up a level and not Alec (don't say they're better, they're notte).

They're limiting his exposure without making it obvious in my paranoid, conspiracy seeking mind.

Brayden Maynard is who I'd like WC to pick in the 2nd round.
I'd be happy with either of these guys (borrowed from KM's 2014 Phantom Draft):

#28 Richmond - Connor Menadue (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 69kg, DOB: 19/09/1996
Recruited from: Western Jets
Style:
Player comparison: Kieran Harper (midfield version)
Range: 15-45
Profile: Menadue is a really explosive midfielder who can do some real damage. He’s light bodied and has played in a variety of positions but he looks best as a midfielder who can at times rotate forward. The key with Menadue is he does damage with his touches. He’s a damaging ball user as someone who can hit his targets from his long kicks and has the vision to pick out the best targets. Also in traffic Menadue similarly has some real ability finding targets by hand and even executing his kicks to target while under pressure which is impressive. He needs to improve his contested ball winning and hopefully that comes as he adds size to his frame but what he has shown that he can do it read the ruck taps well and get first possession from the hitouts. He uses his pace well in game to take guys on and burst through and away from traffic, he can also take on guys and has the ability to avoid tacklers. He’s also used his pace well when he’s played in the back half to break the lines. In addition to his pace he’s also got the ability to do some real damage with his kicks. This year he’s become a real goal kicking midfielder and a consistent goal kicking threat which is pleasing progress given he didn’t kick any goals last year in the TAC Cup.

#32 Port Adelaide - Alex Neal-Bullen (SA – Mid)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 09/01/1996
Recruited from: Glenelg
Style: Lenny Hayes
Player comparison: Luke Shuey
Range: 15-50
Profile: Neal-Bullen is an exceptional inside player with his contested ball winning ability elite and among very top few in this draft. What most stands out with Neal-Bullen is his awareness in traffic to find the best player by hand, he can gamble some looking for the opening but he typically finds the most damaging target. He’s got a burst of pace and can break away from the contest and can use effectively in game. He’s produced at senior SANFL level and has shown he can play with the bigger bodies suggesting he’s not far off and his numbers throughout the u18 champs also were exceptional. The major queries with Neal-Bullen are footskills and decision making ability. At times by foot Neal-Bullen can do some real damage and hit some high difficulty targets lace out from some of his long kicks and even can do this at times under pressure. His kicking efficiency in part can suffer as he frequently elects to kick long which I don’t have an issue with but he also on a number of his kicks badly butcher it and on other occasions often tries to do too much. I’d also like for Neal-Bullen to lower his eyes more as he often misses the more obvious and higher percentage options. He’ll also need to start finding more ball outside the contest as the majority of the ball he gets is inside ball at this stage.

I want us to either draft 190cm size mids, or 175cm mids that have talent but slip due to concerns over their height. They normally end up being fine and being a steal.

/have not statistical analysis to prove this

They're limiting his exposure without making it obvious in my paranoid, conspiracy seeking mind.

The WA State side and Claremont would have bigger things in mind not pandering to west coast (unless we are throwing a few bags of cash at them).

The higher players go, the more money the clubs get i think? And winning games rather than limiting a top player would be a priority.

I wouldn't have thought being compared to Keiran Harper was a good thing....
Thats fair, but when you do look at the descriptions of the players themselves you can't help but be excited. Perhaps thats KM's style of writing, but they both have traits that we need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a reason for clubs to limit the number of players they request for testing (besides trying to hide a player from other clubs), such as the AFL limiting it or it costing the club for each invite received?

So where do you think waterman is really rated, he had a few good games then a few that really made him look second rate a game against vic metro his hand balling was really bad he handballed to the feet a number of times with little pressure he didn't have enough speed to impact some contest leaving metro to get easy marks, if that was the first game anyone watched of waterman they would be very dissapointed and wouldn't want the Eagles to draft him, but then he has had some good games where his strength and decision making was second to none ! so where does he really fit in this draft ?

Is there a reason for clubs to limit the number of players they request for testing (besides trying to hide a player from other clubs), such as the AFL limiting it or it costing the club for each invite received?
AFL limited it. Each club can nominate up to 25 players. If three other clubs nominate the same player then they are invited to the combine.

So where do you think waterman is really rated, he had a few good games then a few that really made him look second rate a game against vic metro his hand balling was really bad he handballed to the feet a number of times with little pressure he didn't have enough speed to impact some contest leaving metro to get easy marks, if that was the first game anyone watched of waterman they would be very dissapointed and wouldn't want the Eagles to draft him, but then he has had some good games where his strength and decision making was second to none ! so where does he really fit in this draft ?

Nah the knock on him has to be his pace and pace alone. Had a stinker, but he doesn't miss targets by hand regularly.

One of the benefits of having a few poor games on the east coast is that you're guaranteed to do it in front of the head recruiters who might not have seen you play more than few times in the last year or so.

I think he is in the top 15 mids in the draft and we will have to use our second pick to draft him.

Well at least Zane Sumich has a leap on him.

1801286_657777197591093_7446247512417518921_o.jpg

Well at least Zane Sumich has a leap on him.

1801286_657777197591093_7446247512417518921_o.jpg

Great pic.

For those too young to remember that was his dads size and shape when he came into WAFL footy. A super athletic left footed half forward ...

Has he got those ground level skills too? His dad could genuinely play as a really tall flanker as a young guy ...

Yes, looking through that list of invitees and some are not worthy of mention. Cal Twomey did have Alec in the top 20 pre championships too IIRC, that flies in the face of some on this board wondering if the WC fans who have seen Alec are the only ones to rate him highly.

I do wonder though, why after that big game against VM he was taken off every 5 or so minutes and not played in the centre square. Also why Hardisty and Lim played up a level and not Alec (don't say they're better, they're notte).

The reason I have been told is Waterman has asked for x$ per game to play league and it's well above what Claremont would pay colts players, so they won't part with the ca$h. Your final sentence might be accurate. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back