Game Day Around the MCG - Grand Final Day

Remove this Banner Ad

I think 'stage fright' is the apt term for West Coast's performance yesterday, several of their unforced errors (such as Darling's fumbled mark) were partly of a result of nerves of a large group of players who had likely never played in front of a massive, raucous crowd like that away from the house of pain.

At least they thought it out, and ensued it didn't get ugly, like Port's pathetic 2007 capitulation.

Very disappointed with Hurn and Priddis yesterday, although I think Clarko did his homework, as a game day tactician, Clarkson is just about the best in my lifetime following footy (brilliant match ups and containment of The Eagles mids to ensure Kennedy and Le Cras, two of WCE's most potent towards were rendered impotent)

Can anyone remember the last time a Coleman Medalist who played in a Grand Final was held goalless in the Granny (although I doubt Plugger or Hudson would have kicked any goals if they were served the god awful delivery by the Eagles miss yesterday)

Hawthorn wear teams down and erode their spirits with their dead eye dick goal kicking accuracy. Its got nothing to do with free agency or any other supposed 'leg ups' they supposedly have (which I think is a myth), they are the best field kicking team in the comp and impose scoreboard pressure when it counts the most.

Fingers crossed the Blaine Boenhorst/Issac Smith comparison turns out to be somewhat accurate, along with Cyril, Smudger was the one decisive player that probably iced the game for Hawthorn in the first half, just needs Boek to build up the tank and endurance of Smith and we've likely got a gem.

The AFL has got itself into a situation now much like that of the 1980s, with success being confined to a small proportion of the clubs (7 of the last 9 premierships have been won by Hawthorn or Geelong, with at least one of those teams participating in every GF since 2007)

I too have conveniently forgotten the Collingwood Vs St. Kilda grand finals.

For all of the buzz word of 'equalisation' being bandied about I've never felt there was a time where the league was less equalized than what it is today. If and when GWS get going and making grand finals that word will again come to the forefront.

Teams that are up and about like Hawthorn and Geelong are in a position where free agents actively want to play for them because of the success they've enjoyed. It means that when players such as Kelly, Stevie J, etc. retire the succession of Patrick Dangerfield's and Lachie Henderson's are waiting in the wings to take their spot. It means that those who were in the gutter remain in the gutter like Melbourne or they go on to make the finals for a couple or so years before sinking back into mediocrity or worse (e.g. Carlton).

The free agents that do leave and go to those lower clubs are either broken down players who are trying to get the juiciest contract that is in it for them (e.g. Daisy Thomas, Troy Chaplin, etc.), are paid well above what their club considers to be their perceived value or are just not good enough to make a real difference in a team's fortunes anyway.

In so many ways the AFL is screwed. But so long as they rake in the big TV money and they can trot out the Hawks or their beloved interstate club of the year then the league itself wont give one single s**t.

Last edited:
I too have conveniently forgotten the Collingwood Vs St. Kilda grand finals.

For all of the buzz word of 'equalisation' being bandied about I've never felt there was a time where the league was less equalized than what it is today. If and when GWS get going and making grand finals that word will again come to the forefront.

Teams that are up and about like Hawthorn and Geelong are in a position where free agents actively want to play for them because of the success they've enjoyed. It means that when players such as Kelly, Stevie J, etc. retire the succession of Patrick Dangerfield's and Lachie Henderson's are waiting in the wings to take their spot. It means that those who were in the gutter remain in the gutter like Melbourne or they go on to make the finals for a couple or so years before sinking back into mediocrity or worse (e.g. Carlton).

The free agents that do leave and go to those lower clubs are either broken down players who are trying to get the juiciest contract that is in it for them (e.g. Daisy Thomas, Troy Chaplin, etc.), are paid well above what their club considers to be their perceived value or are just not good enough to make a real difference in a team's fortunes anyway.

In so many ways the AFL is screwed. But so long as they rake in the big TV money and they can trot out the Hawks or their beloved interstate club of the year then the league itself wont give one single s**t.

Explain how The Dogs (who were a basket case last season) managed to lure Tom Boyd over (or The Lions with Beams)

The situation is nowhere as grim or unbalanced as you perceive it to be IMO.

Port and The Dogs fixed their club through hard work, great recruitment and decent coaching and administration appointments.

The old days and methods of Carlton opening up the big fat hairy chequebook and buying a Dangerfield type star just don't work anymore.

Only Brad Ottens was the big money recruit from another club that Geelong bought in for their triple premiership sides.

Personally I'm excited about the prospect of our next premiership team being mainly 'home grown' even if its nearly a decade away.

Explain how The Dogs (who were a basket case last season) managed to lure Tom Boyd over (or The Lions with Beams)

By paying what most considered at the time to be massive overs. There's a reason why many of the smarter Dogs fans would be all too happy to get out of that contract for pick #1. Besides, Boyd was a trade and not free agency.

Beams - his father was very ill and he had a brother at the club already.

The rest of your post I agree with.

It will take incredibly sound recruiting to pick us up. It wont happen overnight and even after that work is done it will require a s**t ton of luck (and further work) that everything right happens for the recruited players to pay off regardless of how talented they are when they first arrive.

Footy is a funny game.

Chips Frawley saved his best for the Hawks final 3 games, and given what was on stake, he repaid their investment.

Its funny how a mostly mediocre Home and Away season can be forgotten in a month of brilliant finals performances.
Sorry to intrude, thylacine60 said there was some fapping over the Hawks happening here, and to have a look...

Anyway.....Frawley's supposed mediocre season comes on the back of learning how to play within our system. Gibson, Lake, Burgoyne and Gunston all took time to find their feet in our gameplan and structure, and I've heard Mitchell, Hodge and Gibson all mention that it takes new players time to find their way.

The other thing I was going to say to Bluesque and those who say Hawthorn have ruined Free Agency, please, take note that Hawthorn have lost twice as many players(4) - including the best forward in the comp - to Free Agency, than they have gained(2), and one of those was a delisted free agent who won't be on our list next year - Jonathan Simpkin.

So saying Hawthorn have built their flags on FA, or that they've rorted or ruined it is an absolute myth. Fair chance we'll lose another 1 or 2 to FA this year as well.

Hawthorn identify a target then trade fairly for it 99% of the time, choosing to get a mutually acceptable trade completed that not only benefits each club, but increases the chances of further trades being completed on the basis of good trade relationships with the other clubs. Let's not forget this a closed market, if you s**t in the shoe shop today, you're not going to be welcome back there tomorrow. It makes zero sense to play hardball against other clubs if you know what you want.

This is something Wright and Silvagni have been on the same page about for a few years now, it seems. As they've worked through trades with each other without fuss.

Last edited:
Sorry to intrude, thylacine60 said there was some fapping over the Hawks happening here, and to have a look...

Anyway.....Frawley's supposed mediocre season comes on the back of learning how to play within our system. Gibson, Lake, Burgoyne and Gunston all took time to find their feet in our gameplan and structure, and I've heard Mitchell, Hodge and Gibson all mention that it takes new players time to find their way.

The other thing I was going to say to Bluesque and those who say Hawthorn have ruined Free Agency, please, take note that Hawthorn have lost twice as many players(4) - including the best forward in the comp - to Free Agency, than they have gained(2), and one of those was a delisted free agent who won't be on our list next year - Jonathan Simpkin.

So saying Hawthorn have built their flags on FA, or that they've rorted or ruined it is an absolute myth. Fair chance we'll lose another 1 or 2 to FA this year as well.

Hawthorn identify a target then trade fairly for it 99% of the time, choosing to get a mutually acceptable trade completed that not only benefits each club, but increases the chances of further trades being completed on the basis of good trade relationships with the other clubs. Let's not forget this a closed market, if you s**t in the shoe shop today, you're not going to be welcome back their tomorrow. It makes zero sense to play hardball against other clubs if you know what you want.

This is something Wright and Silvagni have been on the same page about for a few years now, it seems. As they've worked through trades with each other without fuss.

Fair points you raise about Frawley, recall Lake struggled in his first half of a season or so at The Hawks.

Bit surprised there is a fair bit of animosity over Hawthorn doing the three-peat, always thought there was a healthy/mutual respect between the two clubs, especially the rivalry built in the 80s GFs, which were didn't seem to have the stinging antagonism like Hawthorn/Essendon or Carlton/Collingwood.

And with Bolts joining us, with your club's full blessing, and sadly the heartbreaking personal tragedy of Brett Ratten, and the compassion and love your footy club showed Ratts, I was a bit taken aback by a lot of anti Hawk sentiment here.

Agree with you about Free Agency, sadly though people forget that when Buddy left, a lot of people thought your flag run was over and a Swans dynasty would begin.

I guess some people are a bit sick/jealous of your mob being so good, but I firmly believe the comp will even up again in around 2 years time, and it may be decades again before we see another club three peat.

0004_the-spoon-600x600.jpg

DaVillaBlues I reckon we'll drop off at the very same time the two blokes in my Avatar and Shaun Burgoyne call it a day.

Gil will be pleased.

DaVillaBlues I reckon we'll drop off at the very same time the two blokes in my Avatar and Shaun Burgoyne call it a day.

Gil will be pleased.

Do you think the Hawks should re-sign Lake or let him go ? Despite his decent finals series, I feel that you should let him go. Also any chance Jed Anderson being traded (despite being contracted for next season) ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think the Hawks should re-sign Lake or let him go ? Despite his decent finals series, I feel that you should let him go. Also any chance Jed Anderson being traded (despite being contracted for next season) ?
I won't be surprised with Lake either way. 1 yr contract or cut.

Jed won't be traded. Knows where he is at, knows he's in line for games in 2016, and knows why he hasn't gotten games this year.

Hawthorn identify a target then trade fairly for it 99% of the time, choosing to get a mutually acceptable trade completed that not only benefits each club, but increases the chances of further trades being completed on the basis of good trade relationships with the other clubs. Let's not forget this a closed market, if you s**t in the shoe shop today, you're not going to be welcome back there tomorrow. It makes zero sense to play hardball against other clubs if you know what you want.

Yeh good on you thylacine60

Whatever, thanks for the update

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back