Article on Herald Sun Superfooty today

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows process was water tight. Nothing from the club has suggsted anyone but Sando was our preferred candidate.

We were very good in this regard, the media were all over the place in their predictions and analysis, couldn't hang their hat on anything. It was Burns all the way, until it wasn't...

Sshhh. so jenny knows something, but cant tell... Thats fair enough, but I guess if I write incorrect facts on here, she can tell me how wrong i am...;)
Something that shows how committed Sando was....

So, I heard Sando was offered the Melb job first, but waited on the Crows to see if he'd get that appointment...

Warm?

I'm glad we went for Sando; he seems like the kind of guy we needed. He's laid back and seems very approachable - something that a young list like ours needed. I wanted him from before Craig even left, but thanks to dodgey-as journos like Rucci, I was led to believe Sando was light years behind Neeld, Burns & Bickley, so I turned to Neeld. But I'm not sure if I'd want another coach who hadn't played in the AFL; Sando's career didn't go to plan early on so he knows how to fight, & knows what it's like to be on the "outer", which can only help our players who aren't in (or even close) to our best 22.

plus, Neeld creeps me out, whereas I could sit, watch & listen to Sando all day :p:thumbsu:

Neeld played 74 games for Richmond and Geelong

Sshhh. so jenny knows something, but cant tell... Thats fair enough, but I guess if I write incorrect facts on here, she can tell me how wrong i am...;)
Something that shows how committed Sando was....

So, I heard Sando was offered the Melb job first, but waited on the Crows to see if he'd get that appointment...

Warm?

Cheeky! :p.

So you're possibly saying that the process was finanlised and announced in the manner it was, was not due to Neeld, but rather Melbourne wanting Sanderson which forced us to reveal our hand a bit early than we were planning to ?

Nope, I didn't say anything.

All I am prepared to say is that Sanderson was our #1 choice, that he proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he wanted this gig ahead of all others. And because of previous criticism of selection process, all i's were dotted and t's crossed before an announcement was made. Neeld also wanted the gig. ;)

I was one of those pissed off people, but more with the fact that we were the first to fire and the last to hire after screwing around for 3 months.

However there maybe a bit of hypocrisy in play because I was also critical of the coaching panels process last time which was a complete joke.

I'm happy to accept Sando was 1st choice, really I'm not too fussed I was only keen on Neeld through external information that I had heard rather than his ability as a coach.

but it would have been nice for the AFC to do something properly and avoid this kind of conjecture.

I wanted Neeld at the time, and I'm still a huge fan, but I think Sando was the right choice for us.

Neeld seems very well suited to Melbourne; they strike me as needing a coach who is strong on discipline and kicking their arses, and teaching the young guys about what it means to be a decent AFL player.

We had that with Craigy - I think we've got a slightly older, more mature list then Melbourne, and our guys needed a guy who would play to their individual strengths.

I think both Clubs would be very happy with their choice.
This is exactly what happened. And actually there was more to it than that, that shows Sando's commitment to us.

So tell us :)

Damnit Jenny, don't make vague allusions if you aren't willing to clarify them.

I wanted Clarkson. Once he was off the table I felt it best left in the hands of the Club since wtf do I know about other assistant coaches.

So you're possibly saying that the process was finanlised and announced in the manner it was, was not due to Neeld, but rather Melbourne wanting Sanderson which forced us to reveal our hand a bit early than we were planning to ?

Or what she's saying by not saying.... is that Melbourne offered it to Sando, but he said he was waiting on the crows decision first even if it meant he missed that job too . Melb got tired of waiting and offered it to Neeld, who then rang the crows to see where he stood and we said take it.

Jen - just send another pink/red smiley face for warm, :eek::p
or a blue one for cold :eek::confused: ..
Your secret is safe with us, and no-one will work out our secret smiley code anyway!

I'm inclined to believe the Crows version of events. If we cast our minds back, the Melbourne process was a train wreck. Talk of Malthouse and Lyon, media leaks and then an ultra fast decision on Neeld.

Crows process was water tight. Nothing from the club has suggsted anyone but Sando was our preferred candidate.

The Geelong system has won three flags. The Collingwod system one. Plain and simple, I'd take Sando over Neeld.

Wasn't Neeld coaching at Geelong before moving to Collingwood?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to recall that Neeld was extremely keen on one particular job, with this in mind considering Neeld called Triggy prior to accepting the Melb offer it does suggest that the Adelaide role was his preferred role.

With that said given the fact that the AFC were not prepared to compromise it's process for Neeld it could also be debated that Neeld was not our preferred option.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, at the time I wanted Neeld however now I am i am glad that we appointed Sando as I see too much "Craigy" and "Talk" in Mark Neeld and I see alot of Bighty in Sando

Time will tell

I think we got the guy we wanted. I also think that unfortunately because we took so long to make our announcement to the point where Melbourne made theirs first, there will alwasy be innuendo (no matter how untrue) as to whether or not we got our first choice.

In saying that, I'm absolutely stoked we got Sando - has said all the right things so far, made all the right moves so far and we've shown some good preseason form. However now it's time for the real stuff to start and we'll really see what Sando is made of.

I think we got the guy we wanted. I also think that unfortunately because we took so long to make our announcement to the point where Melbourne made theirs first, there will alwasy be innuendo (no matter how untrue) as to whether or not we got our first choice.

In saying that, I'm absolutely stoked we got Sando - has said all the right things so far, made all the right moves so far and we've shown some good preseason form. However now it's time for the real stuff to start and we'll really see what Sando is made of.

I imagine that the first slip up will see some posters here crying out that we got the wrong guy. We need to remember that we do have a fairly young and inexperienced squad. It's unlikely we'll cruise through this year with 18 wins (though i'd be stoked if we did!). I just hope this board can steer clear of the kind of thing we saw last year, it could take time for things to really take hold.

And in relation to the original post, I think we can conclude that Scott Gullan made an incorrect assumption about Neeld and the Adelaide job.

It would be nice to know what Jenny knows, or "knows" though... Maybe create an alias and drop the bombshell - or sned a dm to rumour ralph on twitter and let him break it.

Neeld's "I'd walk over broken glass for one of the roles," was almost certainly about us - there were a number of hints in there about resources/facilities/culture etc that made it pretty clear.

At the time I remember thinking it was almost certainly about the Melbourne job. My assumption at the time was that he had a job locked away at Melbourne, and then contacted the Crows and said "I have a job and I'm happy to take it, are you guys going to offer me considerably more than they are? Because if not, I'm taking it now." And we weren't, so he took it.

Or what she's saying by not saying.... is that Melbourne offered it to Sando, but he said he was waiting on the crows decision first even if it meant he missed that job too . Melb got tired of waiting and offered it to Neeld, who then rang the crows to see where he stood and we said take it.

Jen - just send another pink/red smiley face for warm, :eek::p
or a blue one for cold :eek::confused: ..
Your secret is safe with us, and no-one will work out our secret smiley code anyway!

One of you is :p and one of you is :eek:. ;)

Didn't Neeld come out and say he'd walk over broken glass for one of the 2 jobs? But it was never confirmed which job he was referring to?

Watching the Dees game, I think we know now.....

Maybe he said that coaching one of the two teams would be like walking on broken glass :confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back