Australia's World T20 Squad (March 2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aaron Finch
Usman Khawaja
Shane Watson
Steve Smith
David Warner
Glenn Maxwell
Matthew Wade
James Faulkner
James Pattinson
AJ Tye
Cameron Boyce
-------------------------
George Bailey
Mitch Marsh
Nathan Lyon
Josh Hazlewood

Really?! He had maybe two good games and the rest he was basically exactly the same as he was in the international games.

I don't want to be the guy to defend Tait, but I think you are being harsh. It's true he only had a couple of genuinely good games. But I wouldn't have said the others were that rubbish... with maybe one exception, where he took 1/54 off 4 overs. In that instance, he was utterly spanked by Lynn who ended up scoring a century off about 50 balls.

Overall, he finished with 10 wickets for the competition, with an economy rate of just under 8. When you exclude the international players, and the spinners, that puts up there with one of the better performers. He was behind McKay (who took a lot more wickets), Tye (more wickets, better economy rate) and Behrendorff (better economy rate). Laughlin ended with a similar record, but (IIRC) he bowls more at the death so I'd give him higher credit for maintaining an economy rate of 8. You could maybe make a similar argument for Hastings.

When you consider that McKay is out of favour with the selectors, Behrendorff is injured, and Tye and Hastings already made the squad... suddenly it doesn't seem that laughable that the selectors took a chance on him. They probably should have given Laughlin a chance, but I suspect he was seen as being a bit too similar to Tye.

IMHO, none of this explains why McKay wasn't considered, despite taking 18 wickets for the competition. But I can't explain every idiotic decision the selectors have made ;)

At the start of the summer our best 5 T20 quicks were Starc, Behrendorff, Johnson, Cummins and Coulter-Nile. All of them unavailable through injury/retirement has crippled us.
We really should be on the phone to Johnson right now for one last cameo.

We really should be on the phone to Johnson right now for one last cameo.
******* oath. Get him to play one or two FC games for WA as some preparation.

I don't want to be the guy to defend Tait, but I think you are being harsh. It's true he only had a couple of genuinely good games. But I wouldn't have said the others were that rubbish... with maybe one exception, where he took 1/54 off 4 overs. In that instance, he was utterly spanked by Lynn who ended up scoring a century off about 50 balls.

Overall, he finished with 10 wickets for the competition, with an economy rate of just under 8. When you exclude the international players, and the spinners, that puts up there with one of the better performers. He was behind McKay (who took a lot more wickets), Tye (more wickets, better economy rate) and Behrendorff (better economy rate). Laughlin ended with a similar record, but (IIRC) he bowls more at the death so I'd give him higher credit for maintaining an economy rate of 8. You could maybe make a similar argument for Hastings.

When you consider that McKay is out of favour with the selectors, Behrendorff is injured, and Tye and Hastings already made the squad... suddenly it doesn't seem that laughable that the selectors took a chance on him. They probably should have given Laughlin a chance, but I suspect he was seen as being a bit too similar to Tye.

IMHO, none of this explains why McKay wasn't considered, despite taking 18 wickets for the competition. But I can't explain every idiotic decision the selectors have made ;)
I could say the same things about Hilfenhaus who had the same amount of wickets from the same amount of games and actually bowled an over or two at the depth (and only conceded marginally more per over).

Another thing you are forgetting is that if Hastings, Boland, Richardson etc had played the whole tournament they would've shown they are far better than Tait. This was a chance to see whether Hazlewood can cut it in t20s. We blew it and we won't take him. A few seasons ago he was one of the better bowlers in the BBL and has since played more for Australia and has barely played the t20 format. Absolute waste of time picking a guy who since his golden moment in the 2007 World Cup has looked incapable at this level almost every game he's played.

Need to embrace more spin in our side. Don't need Tait, bowling fast is more damaging than anything if you bowl all over the place like he does. Our more effective T20 bowlers have been guys like Watson and Boyce who have some control and move it off the pitch a bit, it will be even more the case over there. Wouldn't be against just picking one front line quick and using all rounders and spin bowlers.

Keyboard heroes #flogs

Yeah we're keyboard heroes for pointing out how silly your initial post was...

Tye had a fantastic T20 summer. Actually, he's had two in a row now, and thoroughly deserved his T20I call-up. He had one bad game against the best T20I side in the world, and here you are carrying on like a pork chop claiming he (or this Aaron character, anyway) should never play for Australia again.

I guess logic shouldn't be used to get in the way of your rant. Go on then...tell us more about how Aaron Tye shouldn't play for Australia again. Whilst you are at it I guess you can also go into some detail about why the same should apply to Shannon Marsh, Steven Tait and Simon Boland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't bother. I've seen his posts on football and they're no better - assert generic over-definitive one-line statement, defend inevitable backlash by claiming the refuter is a flog and then rinse and repeat on another topic.

Yeah we're keyboard heroes for pointing out how silly your initial post was...

Tye had a fantastic T20 summer. Actually, he's had two in a row now, and thoroughly deserved his T20I call-up. He had one bad game against the best T20I side in the world, and here you are carrying on like a pork chop claiming he (or this Aaron character, anyway) should never play for Australia again.

I guess logic shouldn't be used to get in the way of your rant. Go on then...tell us more about how Aaron Tye shouldn't play for Australia again. Whilst you are at it I guess you can also go into some detail about why the same should apply to Shannon Marsh, Steven Tait and Simon Boland.

I'll let you carry on with your rant. And pointing out a minor detail (albeit a mid named player) is as floggish as it comes.

Don't bother. I've seen his posts on football and they're no better - assert generic over-definitive one-line statement, defend inevitable backlash by claiming the refuter is a flog and then rinse and repeat on another topic.

I resent this. I hardly even go onto other board let alone your clubs.

Probably mixing me up with Eth-dog

Keyboard heroes #flogs

You should learn never bag a player from WA...

To them a career strike rate of 102 is perfectly acceptable for an opening batsman in T20 cricket...

And being belted for 50+ runs is ok because they are from WA and can do no wrong. However if a player from another state gets hit for 10 runs in any 1 over they are a hack and should never play again...

Heaven forbid a bowler has to debut on the flattest pitch in Australia, that will get them labelled a hack to never play again as well if they are not from WA...

I'll let you carry on with your rant. And pointing out a minor detail (albeit a mid named player) is as floggish as it comes.

You are carrying on like a complete and utter pork chop, and I'm the one who is "as floggish as it comes"? Please, spare me the stupidity.

The guy had a poor game but that came on the back of two brilliant domestic summers. He well and truly deserved his international call-up, was solid on debut, and had a bad second game against the best T20I side in the world.

You can jump up and down, and carry on all you like, but to put a line through him on the back of that one game is just about as dumb as it gets.

Now, all I did in my initial post was back someone up who pointed out the errors - in both fact and logic - in your post. You had a go at a player and you got their name wrong. Deflect all you like, but that's not a "minor detail".

You've come back defensively at me - good for you. Clearly that's your default position when called out for typing garbage and power to you for it. Call me what you like, but all you are doing is digging yourself a bigger hole. It doesn't do you any favours nor does it dispel the fact you don't have much of an idea about what you are talking.

For an ex-mod you carry yourself remarkably poorly.

What is it with Tye that people think is so good and effective?

He went for plenty in the final T20 and the 2nd he wasnt nearly as effective.

In his death overs, he has gone for 10, 9, 12, 19 for only one wicket. Not exactly brilliant reading if you ask me.

John Hastings is someone who has shown he can do it at the top level and would be my choice for the 'finisher' ahead of Tye.

"Guys how can you pick Watson over Mitch marsh? Marsh is such a good player and makes so many runs" Eth dog said.

What is it with Tye that people think is so good and effective?

He went for plenty in the final T20 and the 2nd he wasnt nearly as effective.

In his death overs, he has gone for 10, 9, 12, 19 for only one wicket. Not exactly brilliant reading if you ask me.

John Hastings is someone who has shown he can do it at the top level and would be my choice for the 'finisher' ahead of Tye.

So only 1 bad over in 4 from Tye. 12 runs is MORE than reasonable in the death. He had 1 poor over and you are laying into him for a bad 6 balls...it happens he wasn't the only one to bowl poorly...Boland was worse! It isn't fantastic but it is acceptable when batsmen are trying to score 15+. Hastings gets belted at the death, just no thanks.

We've got a mountain of injured strike bowlers. That's the problem. Johnson retired, Starc injured, Pattinson managed, Cummings injured. Tait can't bowl the right areas. Might need to go back to medium pacers who can bowl a heap of variations like swing the ball then bowl cutters a bit like Watson does. Two new balls means reverse swing is dead from ODIs. Flat pitches are trying to kill swing/seam bowling. Heaps of pace, control and a really good yorker and bouncer seem the way to go, that and spin. On the off chance the ball swings that may work too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back