Review Autopsy vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Lesson for the young guys from this game: the older blokes aren't that good so we'll have to win it ourselves.

Absolutely - I've got an image of Bonts, Macrae, Stringer and Hrovat exchanging some incredulous glances when someone mentions in passing that Cooney used to be a pretty useful player.....

Roughie has been playing with a bung shoulder for a while - quite frankly if someone is going to kick 8 on us, it might as well be on Talia or Fletch and let Roughead have his Op and get cherry ripe for next season. Obviously the coach is keeping Talia or Fletch out for a reason that the fans dont know, but whatever their flaws are, its apporaching the nose to spite the face stage, IMO.

Crameri is easy - we need a better forward line. Crameri was gettable and makes our forward line better, so job done, end of story.
FWIW I think the deal worked out for both teams.
Dogs were in need of some forward line experience and if stringer and ________ can develop alongside crameri it will be a half decent forward line. It sold us short this year a bit in hindsight however I dont think the brains trust thought Carlisle would struggle as much as he had (last 2 games aside).

Do I wish we still had Crameri? To a point yes, but I'm glad we didn't match the 500k deal at the dogs, and as one previous poster alluded to you guys aren't anywhere near hitting the max cap. 30 goals a year from Crameri is a good return, if stringer can get 30-40 a year you're well placed to do some damage

My best mate at the time almost got into a punch up with him after words were exchanged when Hird tried to barge through a group of people without using any manners, knocking a few people over. Interestingly, he (my best mate) would have been relying on me coming into back him up had blows been exchanged, so that would have been an amusing story to tell on this place. 'This is the story of when I smacked Hirdy in the head back in '96.....

Should have went "over the top" on him, WADA style.

You guys have lots of exciting players, Bontempelli, Stringer, Macrae.. had no idea Bonts would be so effective in his 1st year.. kind of freakish. Stringer knows his way around the sticks and once Macrae sharpens up his disposal he could be a Top 10 player in the competition.

Watching the game back. Hunter is so important. Super young talent. And jj's speed is massive for us. Just complements the midfield nicely. Stringers a beast leading up at the footy, particular when the ball hits the deck and he can use his power and agility.

And so noticeable that all our young boys just hunt the footy. They just keep at it. Great to see.

Watching the game back. Hunter is so important. Super young talent. And jj's speed is massive for us. Just complements the midfield nicely. Stringers a beast leading up at the footy, particular when the ball hits the deck and he can use his power and agility.

And so noticeable that all our young boys just hunt the footy. They just keep at it. Great to see.
Agree with this, especially the bit about Hunter. I think he has gone under the radar with all the focus being on the Macrae, Bonty, Hrovat and Stringer, all RS nominees (except Stringer but he's a hot chance for the RS nom next week).

Hunter just does some very clever things - we know about his agility, but his decision making and execution are pretty good too.

What has probably held him back is the fact that he hasn't got a whole lot of the footy yet. When that happens, watch out!

Also, he is going to be a serious candidate for MOTY at some stage. Not quite a Jeremy Howe but he has a very good leap and will be a real crowd-pleaser when he hangs onto a few of those speccies.

Hunter is incredibly effective with the ball in hand. I like him a lot and I don't think the "disposal efficiency" stat does him any justice.

I see less flaws in Hunter's game than i see in just about every player on the list. Exquisite talent

Yea, he's something special.
Really look forward to seeing him develop over the next few years.
He reminds me a bit of Steve Johnson. Bit of an X factor about him.
Gee we've lucked out with the father sons

I think we've done that well with the father sons over the years that I kinda take it for granted and expect it to continue for the next 20 years. There are clubs out there that just don't get any father sons at all.

I think we've done that well with the father sons over the years that I kinda take it for granted and expect it to continue for the next 20 years. There are clubs out there that just don't get any father sons at all.

Yes but who cares about these interstate teams?

I see less flaws in Hunter's game than i see in just about every player on the list. Exquisite talent
Agree - there are very few holes in his game. His defensive awareness is average but it's improving; he's not overly quick but his cleverness more than compensates for it; he isn't a strong contested ball winner but he is capable. The biggest thing for me are those lapses in concentration which you commonly see in young players anyway. If he can build towards consistent four-quarter efforts he could be the best of the lot. There isn't much he can't do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the replay I thought Redpath was better than I was giving him credit for at the ground. He didn't do much again but he actually has a bit of presence about him, all the best key forwards have it and I really think he has it when watching him. He threw his weight around as we'd expect him too and he also did a couple of nice little things that caught my eye, like a great half volley pick up in particular. He also provides a pretty good chop out in the ruck, not ideal but okay. He's had a tough initiation to AFL footy and he hasnt done much but he's done a few nice things each game and I expect him to have a bit of a breakout game soon, and by that I mean I'm not expecting him to go nuts and kick a bag or anything but just hit the scoreboard 2 or 3 times and find a bit more of the ball than he has been.

Considering he only got into an AFL environment at 20 years old, after two knee recos and then was chucked around with the alignment with Willy doing him no favours, you just cant treat him as a 23 year old. Think of him more as a very big, angry and intimidating baby with maybe a bit more potential than I originally gave him credit for.

Watching the replay I thought Redpath was better than I was giving him credit for at the ground. He didn't do much again but he actually has a bit of presence about him, all the best key forwards have it and I really think he has it when watching him. He threw his weight around as we'd expect him too and he also did a couple of nice little things that caught my eye, like a great half volley pick up in particular. He also provides a pretty good chop out in the ruck, not ideal but okay. He's had a tough initiation to AFL footy and he hasnt done much but he's done a few nice things each game and I expect him to have a bit of a breakout game soon, and by that I mean I'm not expecting him to go nuts and kick a bag or anything but just hit the scoreboard 2 or 3 times and find a bit more of the ball than he has been.

Considering he only got into an AFL environment at 20 years old, after two knee recos and then was chucked around with the alignment with Willy doing him no favours, you just cant treat him as a 23 year old. Think of him more as a very big, angry and intimidating baby with maybe a bit more potential than I originally gave him credit for.
I don't think Redpath will make it to be anything special, but I think your use of the word "presence" is a good one. He gives us strength and brutality up forward, something that Jones is unable to do even when he plays well. When Jones plays poorly he is nowhere to be seen; Redpath may not do a whole lot but he is always 'around' the play and he is always at least presenting and giving us an option. I'm not sold on him but it's no coincidence that our forward line has looked a little more dangerous with a sense of consistency up there.

I don't think Redpath will make it to be anything special, but I think your use of the word "presence" is a good one. He gives us strength and brutality up forward, something that Jones is unable to do even when he plays well. When Jones plays poorly he is nowhere to be seen; Redpath may not do a whole lot but he is always 'around' the play and he is always at least presenting and giving us an option. I'm not sold on him but it's no coincidence that our forward line has looked a little more dangerous with a sense of consistency up there.
Yeah definitely not expecting him to be a star, but I don't see why he cant be a 30 goal a year forward in time. While I agree with what you've said about Jones, I think that is one area he has actually improved a little bit this year, he's throwing his weight around (and was unlucky to cop a suspension for it) and at least trying to make an impact when he's not getting the ball, even if it doesn't come as naturally to him. But I really don't think we will see the best of either of them until they play either in the same forward line, or along side other talls.

I really do think with Redpath providing that consistency, strength and brutality up front like you said it would take a heap of pressure off Jones and allow him to roam around a lot more freely (pretty much the exact partnership we had with Baz and him) and with him performing that would then take more pressure off Redpath. We'd just need 25 - 30 goals each, as well as them both impacting games with their strength, taking a few marks, priding themselves on defensive pressure which they are both capable of and just making themselves useful when they're not hitting the scoreboard, and we'd have a bloody good forward line when you throw in Crameri, Stringer, Bonts, Dahl, Hunter, Grant etc. I think they both have that in them too, maybe even more but lets just start somewhere hey? :p

What I'm hoping for that Redpath had a breakout game. 2-3 goals, or key goals, or even just 3-4 marks inside 50.
Hopefully working in tandem with Jones this week he gets a chance.

Such a good performance. 5 minutes left in the 3rd, 21 points up, dal has the ball 60m out, misses an easy target. hooker marks, bonti unlucky to give away the 50m penalty, then up the other end for a Carlisle goal. Massive turning point. Almost nothing in it though.
How many times you watched the replay now fronks? 4? :p

Yep. Best footy of the year I reckon. Lots to learn from it too. Great game.
Haha nice. Yeah definitely up there with our best for the year, so good that it was on the back of a bunch of kids too. Couldn't believe the negativity around here after the game, I guess people were just pissed off losing one like that. Still reckon that if we got another one after Stringer kicked the first of the last we would have tasted blood and ran over the top of them, but they got the next and well, yeah :(

Such a good performance. 5 minutes left in the 3rd, 21 points up, dal has the ball 60m out, misses an easy target. hooker marks, bonti unlucky to give away the 50m penalty, then up the other end for a Carlisle goal. Massive turning point. Almost nothing in it though.
:cry: why fronk? Why?

I felt the game slipping away at that stage to

Haha nice. Yeah definitely up there with our best for the year, so good that it was on the back of a bunch of kids too. Couldn't believe the negativity around here after the game, I guess people were just pissed off losing one like that. Still reckon that if we got another one after Stringer kicked the first of the last we would have tasted blood and ran over the top of them, but they got the next and well, yeah :(
I was definitely annoyed, was pleased with the efforts from the kids but real disappointed we let one player win the game off his own boot

saw Rough bent over sucking in air most of the night, so you could tell he wasn't right (unless the Essendon players were gut punching him) wouldn't shock me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back