Rumour Bailey Smith avoids being drafted interstate by way of medical reason

Remove this Banner Ad

You really need to pull your head in. Would love you to say something like that to a family member of the mentally ills face instead of behind a computer screen.

No arguments here, I head down to Sorrento and get the ferry across to my ocean road vacation house.

You won't catch me in the Western suburbs.

If they have to book extra flights and hotel rooms for his mum to come with him on interstate games does that come out of the salary cap?

No idea what the condition is or is not and what the motivation behind it may or may not be however ... would any of us really have an issue with someone who had a physical condition (say with their inner ear) such that no airline would let them on a plane having a medical certificate making that official and letting the clubs know that whoever drafts him he would not be able to fly (effectively meaning only a Vic club)?

No idea what the condition is or is not and what the motivation behind it may or may not be however ... would any of us really have an issue with someone who had a physical condition (say with their inner ear) such that no airline would let them on a plane having a medical certificate making that official and letting the clubs know that whoever drafts him he would not be able to fly (effectively meaning only a Vic club)?
You really think a player with an inner ear condition would be playing AFL?

You really think a player with an inner ear condition would be playing AFL?

Not the point.

No idea on the specific medical front ... only mention the inner ear because iirc an infection there stops you flying ... the principle was that we would not have an issue with someone who had a clearly defined physical medical condition that banned them from flying but was still perfectly capable of playing AFL providing that certificate ... and if WC still wanted to draft the kid and only play him in 12 games plus a car trip over for big finals then they can (but would be most unlikely to).

Not the point.

No idea on the specific medical front ... only mention the inner ear because iirc an infection there stops you flying ... the principle was that we would not have an issue with someone who had a clearly defined physical medical condition that banned them from flying but was still perfectly capable of playing AFL providing that certificate ... and if WC still wanted to draft the kid and only play him in 12 games plus a car trip over for big finals then they can (but would be most unlikely to).
You dont have a point.

A person with a chronic physical issue, whether permanent disability or illness would not be drafted. It might sound harsh but that's the reality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah totally deaf, but my post should have read had not have, he was delisted this year
Fair enough

It wasn't my intention to be cruel. We have an insulin dependent diabetic in Sam Reid in our best 22. Heater has said openly he has OCD. It's not completely black and white. Depends on the issue, but being deaf surprises me.

My thoughts on Bailey Smith are there's no substance I've seen to anything in this thread. So the whole thing could be just a slur.

If he has a mental health disorder he's entitled to seek treatment like anyone else and do it out of the public eye.

Not sure how it works with draftees but I think it's likely he would have an obligation to disclose it to the club medical staff, who would then make an assessment. Being draftedi sn't a birtthright and privacy is limited if people have a genuine need to know.

Hopefully clubs are open minded enough to look hard at the ability of the individual to overcome it. If the Pies did that, kudos.

It will be interesting to see where this mental health crackdown after the Majak incident, will end up.

Whilst there are definitely players that do have mental health issues, will mental health also be used to get what they want? Will draftees from various states start seeing psychologists and talk it up about how anxious they are to move and end up getting a bunch of doctors letters to stay in their state? If Tim Kelly had produced a doctors letter stating he had mental health problems, would Geelong have been forced to trade him for whatever West Coast offered?

I'm going off track on the topic a bit, but I find it interesting if true that this kid got a doctors letter re mental health. Mental health can be something that is abused and used as an excuse. This is concerning for the game if true. Player agents will abuse the absolute crap out of it to get their players whatever they want... sort of like a blackmail, using the fear player potentially harming themselves if they don't get what they want.

It will be interesting to see where this mental health crackdown after the Majak incident, will end up.

Whilst there are definitely players that do have mental health issues, will mental health also be used to get what they want? Will draftees from various states start seeing psychologists and talk it up about how anxious they are to move and end up getting a bunch of doctors letters to stay in their state? If Tim Kelly had produced a doctors letter stating he had mental health problems, would Geelong have been forced to trade him for whatever West Coast offered?

I'm going off track on the topic a bit, but I find it interesting if true that this kid got a doctors letter re mental health. Mental health can be something that is abused and used as an excuse. This is concerning for the game if true. Player agents will abuse the absolute crap out of it to get their players whatever they want... sort of like a blackmail, using the fear player potentially harming themselves if they don't get what they want.
Real mental health issues run deeper than football. Majak had a blue with his mrs. Harley Balic moved back to Melbourne and still retired.

The mental health issues seem to be bigger in football compared to most of society but I think football itself is copping too much of the blame.

Now I myself am impartial to drug use/users, but it is also a bigger issue in footy than general society. Young rich boys. Drugs are bad for mental health.

So you've got players telling AFL do all you can for mental health, while a lot of the players are out stuffing the chemicals in their brain and the severity of the drug strikes Some blokes can do drugs and be fine eg Dane Swan but others cant eg Cousins and rumoured Franklins 'mental health' issues.

I'm sure theres others blokes who mental health issues have been genuine depression and anxiety but I wonder how much of it caused by factors outside footy.

So, he couldn’t play every away game? o_O

I've seen mental Health abused in the workplace

No doctor is not going to give you a medical certificate for stress and take on the risk of something happening to the person.

I have no problems with a mental health day here and there, but when you take 20 months fully paid stress leave and the HR department finally gear up to sack you then you produce a cert saying you are 100% fine to return (a day after providing a cert that said you were unable to work for 4 weeks), while 4 other ppl have had increased workloads/holiday leave rejected over that time, it's not ideal.

So, he couldn’t play every away game? o_O

Depends ... if you were drafted by say the Pies you could still drive/train whatever to Sydney or Adelaide and hypothetically (if unlikely) the same to Brisbane/Perth ... but the management of that issue would be a lot less for a Vic them than a Qld/Perth team for example. Would they be drafted even with that handicap to availability - depends on how good they think you would be.

Absolutely jumping at shadows.

Players interview poorly on purpose, refuse to meet other clubs but this one occurrence has you worried that the whole draft system will suddenly collapse.

I wouldn’t have thought so. Surely there would have been a bit more of a look into this by the AFL. Maybe there was. Maybe there are documented issues. But it’s entering into the murky waters of draft tampering.

Surely in all this time if it were true it’d be speculated on a lot more in the media, but doesn’t seem there’s been much on it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back