Rumour Bailey Smith avoids being drafted interstate by way of medical reason

Remove this Banner Ad

Still smells of draft manipulation.
As Luke Beveridge would say, "disgusting".

I believe Darcy Fogarty did something similar to other club's in the year he was drafted (always wanted to go to the Crows)

Ditto Chad Wingard and GWS all those years ago.

I believe Darcy Fogarty did something similar to other club's in the year he was drafted (always wanted to go to the Crows)

Darcy went about where he should've.
Chad yes shouldve gone earlier.
Bailey would've gone much higher if not for his BS excuse.

What did these guys do? Just bomb the interview intentionally?

Can't remember on which board it was but someone (who wasn't a Dogs fan, so they'd have no reason to lie) said that Bailey had interviewed well at an interstate club and there was never any indication of homesickness.
Can't remember?

Interesting, considering everyone can remember dozens of times Bailey Smith was mentioned as the person who couldn't move interstate due to mental health.

Look, don't worry about denying it - enjoy getting one past the other teams.

Can't remember?

Interesting, considering everyone can remember dozens of times Bailey Smith was mentioned as the person who couldn't move interstate due to mental health.

Look, don't worry about denying it - enjoy getting one past the other teams.
This was over a year ago, I'd be concerned if I could remember where the post was. It doesn't keep me up at night

Chad Wingard said a pick 3 would be a waste on him because he didnt want to be in GWS and would try to force his way back to Another club as soon as the oppotunity would arise

Darcy went about where he should've.
Chad yes shouldve gone earlier.
Bailey would've gone much higher if not for his BS excuse.
Who would he have gone ahead of? Much higher? He was Pick 7.
Check out the phantom draft
Or

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who would he have gone ahead of? Much higher? He was Pick 7.
Check out the phantom draft
Or
That comment alone was enough to tell me he was salty and full of shite.

Chad Wingard said a pick 3 would be a waste on him because he didnt want to be in GWS and would try to force his way back to Another club as soon as the oppotunity would arise
It's not uncommon. Cam Raynor was rumoured to have said something similar in his Brisbane Lions interview, that he wouldn't assure them he'd stick around.
The lions backed their culture in, and Raynor signed a contract extension.

The Wingard one is intriguing, the rumour floating around is that GWS and Port had a handshake agreement that they wouldn't take him as we didn't get any compensation for Cornes and Brogan.

You'd think highly rated draftees who know they'll be picked up regardless could afford to be honest with recruiters. I also highly doubt recruiters write off any draftee who's reluctant to move interstate. These guys are teenagers who have never left home - how appealing would it be to join an interstate cellar dweller? There'd be a fair bit of risk management in the selection process, but most clubs would just back their system to keep the player there.

Maybe GC just didn't rate Smith in the best 6?

If it's ok for kids from NSW or Qld to get this entitlement then kids from the rest of the country should also benefit

Smith was never going to go higher than 7. I do some work in recruiting and the rumour is just that
My memory is that the top 7 was pretty much set in stone even before the combine. Smith had been injured through most of the year and thus was last of the pack. His place in the draft had zero to do with supposed draft tampering, seems more like and easy way to propagate some sort of ‘AFL bias’ towards the dogs.

If we didn’t take him he was was most likely going to Port, and he was totally fine doing so.

I’m sure he wanted to stay in his home state, just like 99% of people..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back