Opinion Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

If it was one of ours crying we would find a way to spin it as a positive (or at least not a negative) just like the saints did...
There was no way you could put a spin on that, he had a blub because the big bad kids picked on him.

So this is what I've got for round one:

B: Patfull, Merrett, Golby
HB: Harwood, Clarke, Adcock
C: Hanley, Redden, Rich
HF: Paparone, Close, Mayes
F: Green, Brown, Zorko
Foll: Leuenberger, Moloney, Rockliff
Inter: Lester, Aish, West, ???

22nd player could be Robertson or Cutler. Could be Taylor as the sub if he's fit. Could be Raines if we want a tagger. Could be Lisle if we want a really tall forwardline. Could be Polkinghorne if Leppitsch wants to piss off a few Bigfooty Lions people.

Most likely would've been Beams.

I'd probably prefer it to be an experienced player. Two debutants in one team is plenty. Raines could run with Smith or someone.

Given the teams Leppitsch has picked lately I reckon Robertson or Cutler as sub are most likely, with Lisle a chance.

Alright, l know you guys have been waiting for my best 22 for this week so l have given in to you. This is for week 1.

FB: Merret, Patful, Golby
C: Mayes, Rich, Aish
HF: Zorko, Close, McGuane
FF: Green, Brown, West
Int: Redden, Lester, Hanley
Foll: Leuenberger, Moloney, Rocky
Sub: Paps

For some reason I thought Redden was rucking.

then I saw the INT

Looking at the website banner on the homepage for 'Lions Signings' is interesting. Obviously there are more key signings to come this week. But the interesting part is the photo. I reckon there is clearly space for 4 players on the banner, otherwise Jack would be more central or bigger.

My guess? Jack - Paps (Wednesday) - Aish (Wed or Thursday) - Rocky (Thursday or Friday)

Core midfielder - retention of promising player - signal of newcomer confidence - Show of confidence in future Captain.

Probably 117% wrong. Hope not.

So this is what I've got for round one:

B: Patfull, Merrett, Golby
C: Hanley, Redden, Rich
HF: Paparone, Close, Mayes
F: Green, Brown, Zorko
Inter: Lester, Aish, West, ???

22nd player could be Robertson or Cutler. Could be Taylor as the sub if he's fit. Could be Raines if we want a tagger. Could be Lisle if we want a really tall forwardline. Could be Polkinghorne if Leppitsch wants to piss off a few Bigfooty Lions people.

Most likely would've been Beams.

I'd probably prefer it to be an experienced player. Two debutants in one team is plenty. Raines could run with Smith or someone.

Given the teams Leppitsch has picked lately I reckon Robertson or Cutler as sub are most likely, with Lisle a chance.

Are you ruling out McGuane a bit early?

Anyway, my concern is that forward line leaves Brown extremely exposed when he will still be struggling for match fitness (even more so if McGuane isn't there). As I have said before I think I would put Merrett up forward in the short term instead of Close and bring Maguire in down back - however I don't expect Leppa to do that.

What do people think about Lisle vs. Close at CHF? Yeah Lisle is very frustrating at times, but at least he has a bit of experience and started to play OK late last year. Close is a much better long term prospect - but against Hawthorn things could get ugly.

What do people think about Lisle vs. Close at CHF? Yeah Lisle is very frustrating at times, but at least he has a bit of experience and started to play OK late last year. Close is a much better long term prospect - but against Hawthorn things could get ugly.

I'm actually the point where I think I'd rather get games into Close and accept that we'll lose. Ultimately I don't think having Lisle in the forward line will affect the result too much - I reckon our mids will have to step up for some goals in any case.

Lions by 50 points.

I'm actually the point where I think I'd rather get games into Close and accept that we'll lose. Ultimately I don't think having Lisle in the forward line will affect the result too much - I reckon our mids will have to step up for some goals in any case.

Lions by 50 points.

Gees looks like our mids are going to ve doing a lot of stepping...

One advantage of going a tall forward line is that you can always sub a tall off to add more speed to the side if needed. Overall though its marking power up forward that we lack, so im happy to stack the forward line with tall marking targets. Our plan is to lock the ball I side our forward half of the ground by using a team defensive structure across HF and the middle of the ground making it difficult for the opposition to move the ball out. I think we can support lots of talls if we can get that to work. As opposed to forward press type defense which probably needs a smaller more mobile forward line.

Lions by 50 points.
Hawthorn should be missing Lake, Schoenmakers + Stratton, so Close isn't likely to playing on someone with a whole lot more AFL experience anyway.

The thing is, if Brown is fit but say underdone with some match practice I would still play him. Look at the Port v Carlton game on the weekend, the amount of deep 1v1 contests in that match was crazy compared to what we've seen in previous seasons favoring more fast break football or leading forwards. If our goal is to lock the ball in the 50 why not play Brown deep? Our midfield unit seems close to full strength apart from Beams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing is, if Brown is fit but say underdone with some match practice I would still play him. Look at the Port v Carlton game on the weekend, the amount of deep 1v1 contests in that match was crazy compared to what we've seen in previous seasons favoring more fast break football or leading forwards. If our goal is to lock the ball in the 50 why not play Brown deep? Our midfield unit seems close to full strength apart from Beams.

Another possible advantage is that it could lock Gibson deep in Hawthorn's defensive fifty. Clarkson would be keen to get him further up the ground helping out the rookie defenders across half back. In fact, it wouldn't stun me if Clarkson took the gamble and played someone like Litherland on Brown in order to free up Gibson.

In fact, it wouldn't stun me if Clarkson took the gamble and played someone like Litherland on Brown in order to free up Gibson.

Pretty similar to what Geelong did with Scarlett at times. Gibson will be more important than keeping Browny quiet on the weekend.

FB: Patfull, Merrett, Golby
C: Redden, Rich, Hanley
HF: Zorko, Close, Mayes
Int: Aish, Lester, Paparone
Sub: Robertson

If McGuane is fit, Paparone drops out.

FB: Patfull, Merrett, Golby
C: Redden, Rich, Hanley
HF: Zorko, Close, Mayes
Int: Aish, Lester, Paparone
Sub: Robertson

If McGuane is fit, Paparone drops out.
I wouldn't mind that!
Never been to Tassie!!

Greg Davis said we will have 3 debutants on Twitter. He said Taylor is a possibility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back