Strategy Best 22 in 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough CMIA. You're right, I don't know what his role is. I do however, speaking generally here, stop short of believing the MC are infallible. I.e. while they obviously know more than I do, I don't assume that some gripe I have is inherently invalid or misguided simply because outwardly the MC don't seem to share it.
I know one selection on which I disagreed with the MC- Tom Hawkins for most of last season.
Obviously I don't know the extent of his injury but surely there were alternatives that could've played better than he did?

Sorry YPO…I have to take you up on this.,,,,and no I haven't lost my sense of humor. :p

The financial support through this subscription is given not because of Travis Varcoe…….in fact it has nothing to do with supporting Travis Varcoe financially..……he doesn't need my $50-100 to get him through to next weekend!! I wouldn't give a damn who the nominated player was, I would still offer the support because being based so far away from Australia it is another way I can offer my support to the Geelong Football Club.

I am tired of seeing this financial subscription to the GFC through our BF membership being used by some Varcoe haters as some sort of justification to attack the credibility of those who generally support TV's contribution to the team and see more in his performances than a bunch of Fantasy footy stats.

In saying that, I am happy to say he was less than ordinary against the Tigers. With Mots and Bundy both knocking on the door soon, the pressure will be on players, who play similar roles, to perform….

Personally, not knowing what the MC are asking individual players to do game by game, I am happy to leave it to them to make those decisions. If TV is not meeting the KPI's the MC set, then "off with his head"…….no complaint from me.

BTW……..The attacks on Blicavs performance last week when he came on as sub were borne from blind ignorance….in some cases I couldn't believe what i was reading.
My comment was very tongue in cheek as you recognized,and your reply was informative especially the bolded,living in Queensland you may as well be living in Geneva as far as the Cats go,and I also have found a way to support the club with out having a membership myself,I won't repeat it here I've posted it before but it gives me great pleasure and hopefully I can continue it for some time yet.
Just on the term Varcoe haters,I don't like that I know there are those that don't think he does any where enough to keep his spot in the side and they can be very vocal,but hate the man I don't think so.

Fair enough CMIA. You're right, I don't know what his role is. I do however, speaking generally here, stop short of believing the MC are infallible. I.e. while they obviously know more than I do, I don't assume that some gripe I have is inherently invalid or misguided simply because outwardly the MC don't seem to share it.
Yep. If afl MC's were infallible, Ryan schoenmakers would be a full Time uni student. I think an extended run of success has however made us spoiled. Close your eyes and remember the Devine years. Or the Hafey years even. Wanna talk about players not fulfilling their talent?

Stephen Reynoldsen
Peter Johnson
Brian Peake

I could Go On...

Same haters pump up the tyres of a kid they've never seen in Kersten- (and he may end up being a player but he's never played a Senior game so How Would You Actually know!) or GHS who has been good in patches and poor as well.

Makes me laugh.

Yet you pump up the tyres with Hartman to be the best player of all time. Just sayin'

B: Rivers Lonergan Kelly
HB: Enright Taylor Mackie
C: Motlop Bartel Christensen
HF: Duncan McIntosh Johnson
F: Stokes Hawkins Murdoch

Foll: Simpson Selwood Guthrie

Int. Horlin-Smith, Caddy, Blicavs SUB: Varcoe

Emerg: Bews, Stringer, Smedts

(Bolded spots up for grabs)

My Best 22 at the moment. Assuming that Caddy and Christensen can come back successfully this year I really see only the Blicavs and Varcoe spots (I'm sure everyone is shocked here :)) being currently up for grabs. All the others are pretty well locks based on either their previous history, current form or what they are likely to bring to the table. I'm still uneasy about playing Blicavs in front of another running player but last night did go some way to showing me that he is handy if a big man goes down early.

McIntosh isn't a CHF. Kersten is some sort of a chance to be given an opportunity to show whether he can mix it I suppose, but I see him being a more realistic option in 2015 and beyond.

My Best 22 at the moment. Assuming that Caddy and Christensen can come back successfully this year I really see only the Blicavs and Varcoe spots (I'm sure everyone is shocked here :)) being currently up for grabs. All the others are pretty well locks based on either their previous history, current form or what they are likely to bring to the table. I'm still uneasy about playing Blicavs in front of another running player but last night did go some way to showing me that he is handy if a big man goes down early.

McIntosh isn't a CHF. Kersten is some sort of a chance to be given an opportunity to show whether he can mix it I suppose, but I see him being a more realistic option in 2015 and beyond.
Agree with your 22.
They are our best chance for finals success.
Maybe would have Bundy as sub, knowing his limited preparation this year, and his capacity to do damage in short time.

The big question mark is Hunt.
If, as has been suggested, he was dropped last week because of a bad piece of laziness, there's every chance he'll return to the side fairly soon.
But if they dropped him for longer-term reasons, who knows when or if he'll get back?

If, as has been suggested, he was dropped last week because of a bad piece of laziness, there's every chance he'll return to the side fairly soon.
But if they dropped him for longer-term reasons, who knows when or if he'll get back?
Spot-on, forgot about TH.
I still rate him best 22.

Last edited:
Spot-on, forgot about TH.
I still rate him best 22.

Hunt's an enigma. His best is good enough to be best 22. But we don't see it often enough. His decision making under pressure lets him down, particularly when he is playing back. I'm not sure where his best position is? It could be midfield/forward but I think we have better options available now.

Yep this is pretty much it at the moment. Might have Blicavs and Varcoe swap but that would be about it. Hope Kersten and Smedts do something to fight their way into the team though and Kersten ultimately replaces Blicavs by finals time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats the line up.

B: Rivers Lonergan Guthrie
C: Kelly Stokes Christensen
HF: Motlop Vardy Menzel
F: Duncan Hawkins Bartel
Foll: McIntosh Johnson Selwood
Bench: Blicavs Horlin-Smith Caddy
Sub: Murdoch

Emerg: Varcoe Hunt Smedts

Of course you would, over almost any. Quite amazing!
So Meto, TH or TV for you?
The discussion was about the best 22, and TV was already in this poster's team, but then we mentioned TH, so I was asked how to get TH in. So the discussion as to who goes out for him- I raised 3 names, and you find that amazing. I didn't need to mention any of them, but as my "bias" is known, I did.

So Meto, TH or TV for you?
The discussion was about the best 22, and TV was already in this poster's team, but then we mentioned TH, so I was asked how to get TH in. So the discussion as to who goes out for him- I raised 3 names, and you find that amazing. I didn't need to mention any of them, but as my "bias" is known, I did.

Ok jumped on you unfairly, but suppose it proves your bias for and I'm bias against.

Pretty good team , id go a little different but it only opinion , and just like the last couple of years I still think our best side is in a state of flux/transition with the best now not always the best by finals. I sort of wonder if this has contributed to our failure the last couple of years.

C: Motlop Caddy Christensen
HF: Duncan Bartel Johnson

Int. Horlin-Smith, Varcoe, Blicavs SUB: Smedts

Emerg: Bews, Stringer, Walker, Kersten

For me , even though they have run with it a bit , I feel by finals it will be DS or Hmac. Im not worried about the on paper positions so much , Bartel is no CHF but really if had it down the way line up , there would be 1 or 2 extra in the BL , not forward. And all of the forwardline (bar Hawk) could spend time in the midfield. Smedts as the sub is just because he is versatile , and I like the idea of making him earn it.
I also like the idea of getting SJ to help more forward again.We are probably more deficient in this role than in the mid area.

Ok jumped on you unfairly, but suppose it proves your bias for and I'm bias against.
In this case, no.

BUT...

If we get to a GF , and IF TV is fit, I would find it very bizarre to know that TV was sitting in the stands watching.
His gifts are what we need on GF day. Proven.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back