Prediction Best 22 Round 1 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 28, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Coventry City
I know season 2022 has only just ended for us but I’d love to see everyone’s thoughts. Going off only the players who are currently on our list and not retiring. Here’s my thoughts:

Wilkie Howard Coffield
Sinclair Battle Long
McKenzie Ross Wood
Gresham King Billings
Membrey Hayes Higgins
Marshall Steele Crouch

Jones Webster Windhager Clark

Emergencies: Paton, NWM, Campbell, Butler

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wilkie Howard Paton
Coffield Battle Sinclair
Dmac Ross Wood
Long Hayes Gresham
Higgins King Membrey

Marshall Steele Windhager
NWM Clark Owens Crouch

Emg: Billings Campbell Butler Jones

Billings and Jones will need big preseasons but will be thereabouts.
I think JWeb will play some games if there are injuries but losing speed and not as clean as he used to be

I know season 2022 has only just ended for us but I’d love to see everyone’s thoughts. Going off only the players who are currently on our list and not retiring. Here’s my thoughts:

Wilkie Howard Coffield
Sinclair Battle Long
McKenzie Ross Wood
Gresham King Billings
Membrey Hayes Higgins
Marshall Steele Crouch

Jones Webster Windhager Clark

Emergencies: Paton, NWM, Campbell, Butler

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Did you trade out Owens 😱🤣

Here are my locks

B: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Sinclair, Battle, ***
C: *, Steele, *
HF: Gresham, ***, Owens
F: Higgins, King, Membrey

Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Windhager

The rest of the spots are up for grabs. From our current list I'd go with this:

B: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Sinclair, Battle, Coffield
C: Hill, Steele, McKenzie
HF: Gresham, Hayes, Owens
F: Higgins, King, Membrey

Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Windhager
Int: Jones, Ross, Clark, Billings
Sub: Wood

That says to me that a gun mid and a forward/ruck will be priorities. A good key defenders would be handy as well

Last edited:
Without addition to the squad:

Defenders: Howard, Wilkie, Battle, Coffield, Sinclair, Webster, Paton
Midfielders: Marshall, Crouch, Steele, Ross, McKenzie, Wood, Long, Clark
Forwards: King, Membrey, Hayes, Butler, Higgins, Gresham, Owens

Unlucky: Windhager, NWM

Paton Howard Wilkie
Coffield Battle Sinclair
Mckenzie Crouch Wood
Gresham Membrey Owens
Butler King Higgins

Lienert Hayes Ross NWM

Notable MIA - Clark, Jones, Long*, Webster, Billings, Sharman, Hill

Long out of contract concerning. Will have suitors. Best 22 if stays. Feeling he leaves.

Love to replace Howard at FB but we have nobody.

Update post draft.

Last edited:
Backline
Lockdown - Paton
Full Backs - Howard Wilkie
Half Back - Battle/Busslinger
Interceptor - Coffield
Running HB - Sinclair

Middle
Wings - McKenzie Clark
Ruck - Marshall
Mids - Steele Crouch Ross

Forward
Resting Mid - Gresham
Smalls - Butler Higgins
Medium Tall - Membrey
Talls - Hayes King

Interchange
Webster De Goey Owens Long

If we can draft Busslinger with pick 9, then that replaces Battle who hasn't excelled in the role we want, or trade Hill to get Ben McKay to move Wilkie to that role and solidify Key Back positions. Bring in De Goey to add a midfielder who is extremely damaging and hopefully performs in big games when we need, also hits the scoreboard more than all our other mids combined.

Battle TBA Wilkie
Long Howard Coffield

McKenzie Sinclair Milera

Gresham Degoey Higgins
Hayes King Membrey

Crouch Wood Clark Ross
Sub Billings

Backline
Lockdown - Paton
Interceptor - Coffield
Running HB - Sinclair

Middle
Wings - McKenzie Clark
Ruck - Marshall

Forward
Resting Mid - Gresham
Smalls - Butler Higgins
Medium Tall - Membrey
Talls - Hayes King

Interchange

If we can draft Busslinger with pick 9, then that replaces Battle who hasn't excelled in the role we want, or trade Hill to get Ben McKay to move Wilkie to that role and solidify Key Back positions. Bring in De Goey to add a midfielder who is extremely damaging and hopefully performs in big games when we need, also hits the scoreboard more than all our other mids combined.

Most talls taken in the draft would take a couple of years. ( some exceptions obviously).

Backline
Lockdown - Paton
Interceptor - Coffield
Running HB - Sinclair

Middle
Wings - McKenzie Clark
Ruck - Marshall

Forward
Resting Mid - Gresham
Smalls - Butler Higgins
Medium Tall - Membrey
Talls - Hayes King

Interchange

I like Busslinger but would not go for a KPD with a first rounder. We need so many pieces and the defence looks solid enough as is. I'd be looking at mids and a small forwards. Maybe chase a tall with one of the later picks.

Based off current list with everyone fit

FB: Wilkie Howard Paton/Webster
HB: Sinclair Battle Coffield
C: DMac Steele Hill
HF:Billings Membrey Higgins
FF: Butler King Hayes
R: Marshall Ross Gresham
I/C: Clark, Crouch, Jones, Windy
Sub: Wood

Couldn't decide between Paton and Webster but would only need one of them.

If Hill does go, NWM takes his spot on the wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Currently:

Paton/Webster - Howard - Wilkie
Long - Battle - Sinclair
Mckenzie - Crouch - Hill/Wang-Mil
Higgins - Membery - Gresham
Hayes - King - Butler
Marshall - Steele - Ross
Jones - Windhager - Clark
Coffield/Wood

Sub: Owens

So I guess I really have a best 26 haha. I suspect 1 or 2 spots opens up for a high draft pick and/or free agent though. Probably Jones' spot and the Hill/Wang-Mil spot depending on what happens. Of course unlikely to have all players fully fit for round 1 as well.

I like Busslinger but would not go for a KPD with a first rounder. We need so many pieces and the defence looks solid enough as is. I'd be looking at mids and a small forwards. Maybe chase a tall with one of the later picks.

If we find another excuse not to take a midfeilder with our first pick I'm going to have a breakdown haha

Without addition to the squad:

Defenders: Howard, Wilkie, Battle, Coffield, Sinclair, Webster, Paton
Midfielders: Marshall, Crouch, Steele, Ross, McKenzie, Wood, Long, Clark
Forwards: King, Membrey, Hayes, Butler, Higgins, Gresham, Owens

Unlucky: Windhager, NWM
Windhager the future of our clubs midfield won't be playing? Great idea.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

If anyone has Jones over Windhager or Owens in there side I suggest you start watching St. Kilda games if you want to call yourself a Saints fan.
Mind boggling that our fans want us to improve as a side but want mediocre footballers playing for us and not talented youngsters. I read the same crap in here constantly year after year.. It's so embarrassing and drives me crazy.

If anyone has Jones over Windhager or Owens in there side I suggest you start watching St. Kilda games if you want to call yourself a Saints fan.
Mind boggling that our fans want us to improve as a side but want mediocre footballers playing for us and not talented youngsters. I read the same crap in here constantly year after year.. It's so embarrassing and drives me crazy.

I'm sure we all want Windhager and Owens in the side over Jones don't worry about that. Just trying to be realistic. Don't think there's going to be to many melts if they are named round 1 and Jones isn't.

Long is just a battler imo. One good game in a dead rubber and people fall over themselves to proclaim him the next Jack Sinclair.

For much of the season i thought Windhager was promising, but very low impact.
I would not have considered him best 22 under those circumstances.
It was only when he started getting a run with role he started helping us win games ( did we win any ) and became a best 22 player.

If you are embarrassed by the thoughts of a complete stranger, then I think the problem is not with those complete strangers.

If the club is fair dinkum we would be moving Jones on.

He's worth nothing. Might as well re sign him on a short minimal contract and try him off HBF once Hill goes. We will lose run and pace next year otherwise. Worst case he bulks up the VFL side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back