Best player in the competition right now?

Who is the best player in the competition right now?

• Gary Ablett

Votes: 42 18.0%
  • Patrick Dangerfield

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Buddy Franklin

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • Nat Fyfe

Votes: 113 48.5%
  • Robbie Gray

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Sam Mitchell

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Scott Pendlebury

Votes: 29 12.4%
  • Joel Selwood

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Jobe Watson

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Shaun Grigg has overtaken Joel Selwood

Fyfe's had about 8 games this year the equal of Ablett's game today.
Should revisit the Ablett argument at the end of the year IMO.
Disagree, Ablett has been so dominant the last 8 years or so that it's basically a matter of he is the best in the comp until proven otherwise. Fyfe just isn't at the same level as goat.

GAJ still the best for me (until proven otherwise), then probably Fyfe, but geez Scotty Pendlebury is also making a case...absolute genius with the footy in his hands and has a more than handy defensive side to his game. He'd go to another level if he got the kind of service that Fyfe gets from Sandilands imo.

So I'd have it as GAJ>>>Fyfe>Pendles.

Last edited:
GAJ is still the best no question, just gave us a little reminder last night!
Fyfe is a freak, but GAJ has done it for 6+ years
Runs on the board for me, fyfe ready to take the torch though!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fyfe is having an amazing season, no doubting that but whilst GAZ is still in the "competition" he will always be the best.
Fyfe's day will come, when Ablett retires. Unless of course someone else has a freak season or two and is fresh on peoples minds.
Do it for 10 years, then come and talk to me.

Not sure why people continue to say do it for 5 years, almost a decade or 10 years, we are here and now. If your choise is GAJ then say it, * you dont need much of an argument as to why you think he is.

Same age = Fyfe
Career = Ablett
Now = Fyfe

I thought he was already better than Ablett before the injury IMO.
Personally thought that was still a gap, Ablett has carried Gold Coast and he makes the others around him look better, Freo actually have other players around Fyfe.

That said, there is a pretty decent gap between the two of them and the rest.

Personally thought that was still a gap, Ablett has carried Gold Coast and he makes the others around him look better, Freo actually have other players around Fyfe.

That said, there is a pretty decent gap between the two of them and the rest.

Depends how long you were considering for "form".
I was merely considering their 2014s at the point of Ablett's injury and had just moved Fyfe to no. 1 spot (in my top 50 ratings on the list board).
If you were also factoring previous years you would have probably arrived at a different conclusion.

Depends how long you were considering for "form".
I was merely considering their 2014s at the point of Ablett's injury and had just moved Fyfe to no. 1 spot (in my top 50 ratings on the list board).
If you were also factoring previous years you would have probably arrived at a different conclusion.
It's one of those calls which is a bit of a judgment call, only thing for sure is that anyone who didn't have them 1 & 2 (in either order) wasn't watching much footy.

dont know how i feel about watson and robbie gray being in this poll aswell, surely theres other players better?

Dont be fooled by Port's Horrible Season. Gray hasnt been one of the reasons for thier massive slip. While Ill agree that he isnt quite at the level he was at last year, it must be remembered that level was judjed the best in the comp by the coaches!
Trust me he still very much sits in the competitions elite, even on this years form. His clearances numbers and in close work are unbelievable stil.

Ablett still the best, yes he's been injured this year, but he has years and years of elite football. Fyfe doesn't (yet) and while he is the best performed player of 2015, you can't call him the best in the comp while G Ablett is still running around doing what he does and has done for nearly a decade.

I thought he was already better than Ablett before the injury IMO.

No way. Ablett was arguably having his best season ever. Before he went down he was looking at a season averaging 33 disposals and pushing 40 goals. It wasn't just sheer weight of disposals, he was just cutting sides to pieces. You only need to look at how far GC dropped away to see the kind of impact he was having.

Back