Big Cox & the infamous 2006 end of season trip

Remove this Banner Ad

I said it then and I'll say it now. The club knew of Cousins and Gardners drug use going back to the very early 2000s. The police had informed the club.Judge basically went to the board and said its 'me or them'. They got rid of Judge as history shows champion players are more valuable than coaches.

But Worsfold has escaped a lot of scrutiny in this. He knew what Cousins in particular was up to and the health ramifications of someone using that amount of drugs and training to the level he trained to. Worsfold being a pharmacist should know better than anyone how prone to cardiac failure Cousins would have been.

Did he stop Cousins as is his duty of care? Nope. He continued playing Cousins and exposing him to potential health issues.

I dare say a number of decision makers at the club were compromised due to their own adventures.

Rack off! This is Perth! We do things our own way. :p

Edit: Could use a photoshopped This is Sparta gif

clearly I'm showing my age and just out of the loop.

I said it then and I'll say it now. The club knew of Cousins and Gardners drug use going back to the very early 2000s. The police had informed the club.Judge basically went to the board and said its 'me or them'. They got rid of Judge as history shows champion players are more valuable than coaches.

But Worsfold has escaped a lot of scrutiny in this. He knew what Cousins in particular was up to and the health ramifications of someone using that amount of drugs and training to the level he trained to. Worsfold being a pharmacist should know better than anyone how prone to cardiac failure Cousins would have been.

Did he stop Cousins as is his duty of care? Nope. He continued playing Cousins and exposing him to potential health issues.
Agree with this, I actually hope we hear more about this in the future. He seems like such morally sound type of guy? Why did he let it go on for so long? How heavy handed was he behind closed doors. Woosha has always maintained cuz never really slipped up until later? Or he couldn't be punished until he was caught? We know you're smarter than that Woosha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox doesn't seem like the type of person who would sell out his mates for a quick buck so I'm not sure what everyone was expecting this book to say

And if he was going to torch some of his old teammates and he had a few skeletons in his own closet (don't know, don't care), there's enough ex-Eagles players with pretty much nothing to lose that would be quite prepared to turn the tables on him.

Agree with this, I actually hope we hear more about this in the future. He seems like such morally sound type of guy? Why did he let it go on for so long? How heavy handed was he behind closed doors. Woosha has always maintained cuz never really slipped up until later? Or he couldn't be punished until he was caught? We know you're smarter than that Woosha.

Just looking at it from a very superficial level... and keeping a positive view on Woosha - you would assume he dealt with it similar to the way a parent would: try to find that tight balance between the hard line and support... and if your faced with constant denials and don't have any actual proof, it could be hard to take a tough stance, particularly if someone is still functioning/performing, until someone hits rock bottom.

Was there a "drug problem" at the Eagles - clearly. Were the club aware, or at least highly suspicious - surely. Could they have acted much sooner and dealt with things a lot better - Yes, probably.
Was drug use amongst their players different to any other AFL club - no. Is it significantly different from other similar groups of cashed up young men(or women) in our society - probably not.
In the environment pre-Cousins' suspension - would any other club have dealt with this significantly better than the Eagles? I doubt it.

The AFL's history (at least in the last 20 years that I've been following) is full of plenty of examples of the problems that arise when young men are given way too much money and fame and put into this "boys-club" culture that is rife in football. Drug use is not the only, or the biggest, problem around footy clubs... and I'm sure if we look at any club over the last 20-30 years we could find examples of similar types of problems.

Just looking at it from a very superficial level... and keeping a positive view on Woosha - you would assume he dealt with it similar to the way a parent would: try to find that tight balance between the hard line and support... and if your faced with constant denials and don't have any actual proof, it could be hard to take a tough stance, particularly if someone is still functioning/performing, until someone hits rock bottom.

Was there a "drug problem" at the Eagles - clearly. Were the club aware, or at least highly suspicious - surely. Could they have acted much sooner and dealt with things a lot better - Yes, probably.
Was drug use amongst their players different to any other AFL club - no. Is it significantly different from other similar groups of cashed up young men(or women) in our society - probably not.
In the environment pre-Cousins' suspension - would any other club have dealt with this significantly better than the Eagles? I doubt it.

The AFL's history (at least in the last 20 years that I've been following) is full of plenty of examples of the problems that arise when young men are given way too much money and fame and put into this "boys-club" culture that is rife in football. Drug use is not the only, or the biggest, problem around footy clubs... and I'm sure if we look at any club over the last 20-30 years we could find examples of similar types of problems.

Agreed, and well said.
I just think Woosha could have shown more to the fans that there was some sort control over his boys. Obviously a lot happened behind closed doors, and I guess we won't really ever know. But I just think Woosha could have communicated a bit better to the fans that he was doing everything he could to fix our culture, esp cuz. Guess it just still sucks after this long we never got to see the best of cuz again. Some of the comments lately like "I couldn't do anything because we can't catch him" is bs. Anyway you're right, it's by no means an isolated case. Just a really sad one.

Terrific post.

You saying that Woosha loved a bender as well? Lol imagine Woosha on a 3
Day bender coked to the gills at north bridge on a Monday morning.. I'de be getting the **** outta the way that's for sure..

I was suggesting some of the most senior people within the organisation were involved. I remember one party in Perth where one of these guys was snorting from a glass table along with a number of Perth's most capable merchant bankers.

It makes it difficult as a board to be make good decisions if you don't see the problem.

I think you snort it rather than burn it

first time poster...

I think all of you are getting meth and coke mixed up....

Methamphetamine (rock or ice) is what cousins was addicted to , not coke....that what the documentary is all about. You smoke that, hence the glass bowl or pipe...

Coke is a white powder you snort. Coke is generally the drug of choice for AFL players....its just meth came into WC and that what gardiner and cousins choice was.........

The fact Ken Judge told Nisbitt & co about the drug issues with Cuz & Gardiner in the early 2000s yet Woosha was "shocked to be sitting here" when the Cuz stuff really went crazy says all you need to know.

mate of mine attended wesley college back in the 90's and he knew cousins was on the stuff in his last year of school.

fair to say the club knew of his activities all the way to the day they sacked him. and they had to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back