Big defender aka where various journos do research but fail to acknowledge sources...

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Big defender

Gotta stick with Schoe. He has size, but like ALL our guys we are a lot lighter than our opponents. We do not have a heap of alternatives. Stick with a guy with potential and ride it out.

Gibson is a flat track bully. Stratts is not a KPD.

I was really disappointed we dropped JBo. All today proved was that good teams kick to Gibbo's opponent.

Shoey is 21

Its alright for people having a crack at him, but atleast offer up an alternative.

For what its worth, I thought he went alright last week against Cloke. Stratts doesn't seem to be zoning off and helping either Shoey nor Gibbo out. Other teams are getting smarter are moving their forwards wider.

For mine, Roughead and Hodge need to play back. He showed today that he brings a calmness to the backline.

I think you just answered your question :)

Schoe is a natural lead up forward...must play there for mine.

Hale can play fwd/ruck

This needs to start next week or we will be 1-3

Good call...

The guys we have aren't up to it on the biggger bodies and given it was wet and windy that gap would have been even more on a dry day.

We need to settle Big Rough at CHB/FB....pray Gilly is back very soon and move Schoenmakers forward or to BH.

So frustrating its not even funny:mad:

It is interesting that it was said Roughy would not play in the ruck, yet he did. I do agree that he did look good in the middle, but surely is not his ruck work, it is that he is agile and uses his bulk to advantage, loved his tackle on chapman. But a decision needs to be made. I am shocked that he was not at least tried one on one with one of the big forwards. He is quick, he is no slower than lewis and great reflex, leap, etc. It would be a regret to lose a 50+ goal kicker, but yes, that is shocking, how easier the big guys got the goals. There was no real attempt to come over the top, to kill the contest, it was all one on one.

I saw abit of swearing on the hawk website and can understand the frustration.

Coming into the game, I thought we were going to win by 5 goals, with no scarlet, buddy/smith/gunston were going to have a field day.

Knowing that roughead can ruck abit if required, I would probably only go with one ruckman, with gunston playing 4 qtrs / buddy up forward. Really need roughead to play back now. I did not think roughead up forward was that much better than gunston, I think buddy closer to goal in last quarter and gunston further up is sufficient.

The sub needs to be runner like savage/bruest/hill.

Gotta stick with Schoe. He has size, but like ALL our guys we are a lot lighter than our opponents. We do not have a heap of alternatives. Stick with a guy with potential and ride it out.

Gibson is a flat track bully. Stratts is not a KPD.

I was really disappointed we dropped JBo. All today proved was that good teams kick to Gibbo's opponent.

No way im sorry but shoe has cost us too many games put rough back and put more time into boumann enough is enough!.

I think you just answered your question :)

Schoe is a natural lead up forward...must play there for mine.

Hale can play fwd/ruck

This needs to start next week or we will be 1-3

Roughead MUST go back. Schoenmakers can fight for a place up forward. I like his prospects too - it's his natural game and I think he could pose problems for opposition defenders. As opposed to now, when all he does is present opposition forwards with gift wrapped opportunities.

I'll keep saying it, and I know there's more than a few here inclined to agree.
We have an all australian calibre centre half back in our team. We just need to play him there.

I am shocked that he was not at least tried one on one with one of the big forwards. He is quick, he is no slower than lewis and great reflex, leap, etc. .

He was tried on Pods when Gibson had the kick to the head and had to leave the field........the next marking contest Pod's tried to move Roughy but was unable to do so and gave away a free kick.

If Clarkson doesn't move Roughy to CHB and persists with Shoey at CHB, he will cost this club a premiership.

Roughead MUST go back. Schoenmakers can fight for a place up forward. I like his prospects too - it's his natural game and I think he could pose problems for opposition defenders. As opposed to now, when all he does is present opposition forwards with gift wrapped opportunities.

We have an all australian calibre centre half back in our team. We just need to play him there.

Surely if we can see it Clarko can.

Needs to make the tough call/right call now FFS.

We need a settled defence for the finals. Gilham and Rough in the key posts and be smarter with the ball going forward is the difference for mine in winning the flag and not.

Jason, you are peeing into the wind there will always be those on this board who will seek any excuse on why we lost the game without facing up to the fact that our back line is simply too small, too short, too weak and ineffectual in the face of a determined opposition.

The philosophy of short and light defenders coming out of defence with pinpoint passing instead of big defenders who can MARK and contest against big forwards will probably culminate in the most frustratingly wasted five years that any team could experience during their “window of opportunity”. To play to Clarko’s philosophy the player needs the ball in his hand and time for accurate disposal. If he can’t mark it or win it on the ground then how is he going to get the ball – an act of God?

And ,it is not just our defenders who are hopelessly mismatched in the air, it is also our complete inability to take contested marks around the ground and then add to that the inability of our forward line to take contested marks and our cause is close to hopeless.

Take a contested mark and you own the bloody ball. You can slow down the play, play on, if loose options are not available, kick to player/players who can take a mark. By continuously forcing the ball to the ground, we are placing continuous pressure on our midfield. If our mids do not win the contested melee then so many will blame them. Hey, the fault lies with the fact that we have nobody who can pluck the ball out of the air.

It does not really matter what posters think. It is what Clarkson thinks that matters and whilst he persists with the current model, disaster is the most likely outcome.

That is a good point, it is not just our backline, but our fwds in taking a mark to have a shot at goal. Roughy was close at marking but not quite. We are always relying on buddy/rioli's brilliance, not necessarily their marking powers.

We did have a few bad years of drafting which we could have had likes of riewolt/frawley. I think the port adelaide backman chapman is on restricted end of the year. Yes, decisions 5 years ago affect where we are now and our opportunity will not last forever.

I have said it on these boards before and to my circle of Hawks; We Do Need A Big Backman!

All saying otherwise are just kidding yourselves. The majority of our defenders are medium sized and for the last few years we haven't had that ONE big beast that would help shore up our defence. Presently, players like Schoey are not cutting it, and by jolly the kid has had 3 whole years to improve but he still makes the same mistakes.

Put him forward or on centrer-half I don't care, but it is plain to see that even a blind man could see we need a bloody big backman.

He was tried on Pods when Gibson had the kick to the head and had to leave the field........the next marking contest Pod's tried to move Roughy but was unable to do so and gave away a free kick.

If Clarkson doesn't move Roughy to CHB and persists with Shoey at CHB, he will cost this club a premiership.

On a positive note, that was a great first game back for roughy. He was everywhere exerting his influence. He is so agile for a big man. I was alittle surprised for his first game back. It looks like he will be a very important player for us this year, probably difference in winning premiership. Ofcourse we need others to performing well as a team, at least similar to last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having a big beast in the backline would be very handy, but seems guys like this are very rare to come by, especially mobile ones. How would Adam Pattison go as a key defender? 197cm/99kg ruckman with a fair bit of experience.

Poppy was out injured, unfortunately

Having a big beast in the backline would be very handy, but seems guys like this are very rare to come by, especially mobile ones. How would Adam Pattison go as a key defender? 197cm/99kg ruckman with a fair bit of experience.

Crap I would suggest.

Roughy is all we have ( and Gilham in support when ready) and we must pull the trigger this year and soon.

I was watching the game with the misses (Hawks supporter don't know how that happen) and as a neutral we I said that of Hawks had a big strong backman you'll win the flag hands down...... But you don't so it'll be tough..... Rough isn't the answer either....PS Shoey and Suckling aren't up to it either.

I was watching the game with the misses (Hawks supporter don't know how that happen) and as a neutral we I said that of Hawks had a big strong backman you'll win the flag hands down...... But you don't so it'll be tough..... Rough isn't the answer either....PS Shoey and Suckling aren't up to it either.

I thought Suckers had a pretty good second half. Showed a defensive side that he hasn't shown before.

Agreed with you there brother....Shoenmakers should be at Box Hill and stay there for the rest of the year until he improves......Roughhead with one leg will do a better job than him...we need Hodge and Gilham back in the backline...to give a calming influence...Season is still early..we can still make adjustments..games like this are good shows the deadweights in a side...:p

BS plain and simple

Between Boumann, Gibson, Stratton, Roughead and Gilham, no, I don't believe we need any more big defenders.

Schoey is clearly a more natural forward who I'd like to see line up on the half forward line somewhere for a few straight weeks (if not, then maybe Box Hill for a bit of confidence). Something like this please;

FB: Guerra Boumann Gibson
HB: Stratton Roughead Birchall

HF: Schoenmakers Franklin Rioli
FF: Breust Hale Gunston

Ru: McCauly

Either of Buddy, Gunston or even Schoey to play out of the square when Hale rucks, or maybe McCauly, with Franklin or Gunston pushing up the ground.

Of the 5 mentioned Roughead is the only big one and you darent mention him playing defense permanently on here.:confused:

Shoenmakers' positioning is absolutely woeful, and his ability to read the play isn't great.

He has the build and the footskills, but not the smarts, aggression or the experience. I'm not convinced that he will ever be a serviceable defender, but he's young and no will no doubt improve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back