Podcast BigFooty Cats Podcast Episode 1: Trade Period Review and National Draft Preview

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally got the chance to have a listen during lunch break. Great work fellas, feel I know a whole lot more about potential draftees in particular. Might pinch a bit of info to sound a bit more clued in with my family and mates :thumbsu:

Just finished listening to it (with the odd interruption...work, what can you do!?!?)

Excellent job guys, really enjoyed it. Looking forward to listening to the next one.

Well done. :thumbsu:

I'll second that.:thumbsu:

I wanted to wait until I had a free hour to sit down and listen to this properly, really great effort guys!
Like so many I'd be pretty keen to do this aswell through-out the year (although I assume plenty have put their hands up!).
Looking forward to the next one!

Just something I want to touch on quickly that you guys mentioned at the end, the trains don't take any longer if you are on the first, second or third train. They still take the exact same amount of time to get to Melbourne (stopping pattern obviously makes a difference though) regardless of when they leave South Geelong, there are 2 sidings at the station (so in theory 3 trains can be at the station at the same time) and Marshall can fit 3 trains (although they will only have 2 sitting there) which is only 3 minutes away.
The only real thing that will effect on time running would be normal timetabled trains and any Metro traffic heading into Melbourne but that is exactly the same as night games in Melbourne.

I just want to mention it to ensure no posters are discouraged to travel down and watch the game.

Another note, one time when I'm sitting near the cheer squad I might have to come down and introduce myself Gysenn, I've seen you plenty of times :D

If I may suggest something SJ, Gysenn, Pure_Ownage and thejester how about a regular segment titled "The Good, the bad, the ugly" to be used as a review of games during the regular season.

For example if you were to do a review of the 2013 season:

The Good - Cameron Guthrie - The Second half of the season was where the Boy became a man, blossomed into a future star and stepped out of the shadow of his enormous potential to become a key component to the Cats defense. His finals performances were nothing short of outstanding, so much so that he made claims to being Geelong's best player throughout that campaign. He'll enter the 2014 season with higher expectations, looking to take over the mantle of Corey Enright's status of the most important medium defender at the club as Boris transitions into an impending retirement. He played the shutdown role of taking the oppositions most dangerous small forward and was rarely beaten. He's developing into a true leader who may move to the midfield with more experience. On the brink of stardom.

The Bad - Travis Varcoe - His return to the side produced varying results, with many seeing his late season lack of form a mistake on coach Chris Scott's behalf of persisting with a player who was often seen as a liability heading into the finals. He returned to the side after a stint on the sidelines due to major shoulder surgery and never regained the full confidence in his ability to compete at full capacity. He was often seen going for the ball half hearted or one handed as a result of a lack of confidence in the shoulder standing up to the rigors of a full blooded contest. He lacked his previous run and carry preferring to give of the easy handball instead of taking the game on in his usual manner, the manner evident when he came of age in the 2011 Grand Final. The Cats brain trust will be hoping he recaptures his confidence and form heading into 2014 after reports suggested he was put up for trade during the recent trade period, where a suitable deal couldn't be struck. Did the club err in their selection of TV during our ill fated finals campaign at the expense of a young inform VFL player? You could mount a case as to his confidence being a major factor in his form.

The Ugly - Dawson Simpson - Was the big ruckman's injury the ultimate demise of the Cats when he injured his knee at the ruck contest to start the 2nd quarter of the 100 point thrashing of St.Kilda? I believe it was, as the evidence suggests the Cats ruck stocks heading into the back end of the season were at an all time low with the lack of a viable ruckman available to take his place. The big man was starting to regain his feet after an injury riddled career and the midfield were taking some confidence in his new found form and ability to pose a threat at the stoppages. The midfield were becoming accustomed to finally having an influential big man available without relying heavily on reading the opposition at the stoppage, which was taking a toll mentally, as well as putting them on the back foot physically with the constant need to work harder after the opposition dominated the midfield clearances. With the Cats forced to throw 2 unknown ruck quantities to the wolves, they never recovered. (now I no West was available, but I still believe he wasn't the answer but that's another story)

Of course you wouldn't speak as though you're reading from script, I'm merely giving an example of what to expect when posing the topic.

Thanks mate.

We will certainly look at options like that but getting interviews can be hard, a lot of the players are very in demand.

One thing I'd like to do (again if we can) is to actually try and get some pieces on people at the club who are less well known-the players are very well known but there are stacks of people in and around the club who do really good work but have very little profile and aren't much heard from.

What we'd love to do is make the podcast something that the whole of the geelong bf family wants, and covers the topics you want, and gets people involved.

So please feel free to hit us up with constructive feedback and to think about getting involved-it's fun chatting on the panel and you don't have to have any special knowledge or skill, just to be passionate about the club.

We'd love to have you all on board :thumbsu:
Just on getting people involved,have you given any thought to maybe introducing different members of the bf family through out the year in small doses,maybe 2 or 3 minutes in a segment footy related of cause but not to in depth to get them comfortable with the concept,we could uncover some real gems.

Now added to iTunes. Please SUBSCRIBE so that you automatically receive updates in the future.

Kills me to say this but have you thought about adding adds? That way you can sink some money into the Cat's history/museum page? *ducks and puts on flame *ant suit*

Now added to iTunes. Please SUBSCRIBE so that you automatically receive updates in the future.
What about those of us with android devices.... and potentially it's still just iTunes... i wouldn't have a clue :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only about 10 minutes into it, and I've heard more football analysis than a whole season of BT commentary! :p

Awesome work guys! Looking forward to listening to future instalments. :thumbsu:

What about those of us with android devices.... and potentially it's still just iTunes... i wouldn't have a clue :confused:

I'm not so sure about this stuff. I think I read somewhere that you can hook it up with the XML feed?

Gysenn or Chief might be able to help.

I'm not really sure what question you're asking...?

Can you watch/listen via an Android device?
Youtube: Yes
Itunes: (can you get iTunes on an Android device..? I've never used anything other than an iPhone as far as smart phones go...) If so, also yes.

I'm not really sure what question you're asking...?

Can you watch/listen via an Android device?
Youtube: Yes
Itunes: (can you get iTunes on an Android device..? I've never used anything other than an iPhone as far as smart phones go...) If so, also yes.
Is more to do with the subscribing part...

Just on getting people involved,have you given any thought to maybe introducing different members of the bf family through out the year in small doses,maybe 2 or 3 minutes in a segment footy related of cause but not to in depth to get them comfortable with the concept,we could uncover some real gems.

Absolutely mate a great idea.

A couple of things there. We'd love ideas for what segments you guys want to see on the show, what topics you want covered, and what you find interesting. We want the show to be something for the BF Cats family, so we'd love your input.

We're also looking at different ideas for segments but there will definitely be scope for people to be on in short segments if they want to rather than a full show, and also to send stuff in and have input-for example the way the club have used something like tweet the coach to allow interactivity and let us send in questions that end up on the show-we may not do it exactly that way, but we'll certainly be having some interactivity where you guys can have your content within the show.

All I can say is if you want to get involved in some way, big or small, let Gysenn or SJ know, if there's a way you want to be part of the show, they will definitely find a way to accomodate you.

Just something I want to touch on quickly that you guys mentioned at the end, the trains don't take any longer if you are on the first, second or third train. They still take the exact same amount of time to get to Melbourne (stopping pattern obviously makes a difference though) regardless of when they leave South Geelong, there are 2 sidings at the station (so in theory 3 trains can be at the station at the same time) and Marshall can fit 3 trains (although they will only have 2 sitting there) which is only 3 minutes away.
The only real thing that will effect on time running would be normal timetabled trains and any Metro traffic heading into Melbourne but that is exactly the same as night games in Melbourne.

I just want to mention it to ensure no posters are discouraged to travel down and watch the game.

Another note, one time when I'm sitting near the cheer squad I might have to come down and introduce myself Gysenn, I've seen you plenty of times :D

Good points.

Listening to the podcast for the first time yesterday, I probably didn't explain myself as well on that as I should have. The issue, more so than how many tracks or trains they have is that there's only one platform at South Geelong, which means irrespective of how many extra trains vline will put on it will still be slow because they will all have to queue behind the first one. And understandably they don't want the trains leaving until they are basically full, so that means it takes a good 10 minutes to load each train, and a fairly decent wait if you're not fitting on the first one. Whereas if you'd been to Richmond station after a night game at the G, you'd know with that many platforms, how much quicker it is getting people in and out with multiple trains leaving at once. People have also got other options there because they can walk to Jolimont, or back to the CBD, or simply just catch a tram home along Swan street. So there's that issue.

The other issue which is probably the bigger one is that the vline timetable doesn't tend to co-ordinate that well with Metro trains, particularly at night. So if a night game finishes at 10 or a bit after, for people who don't get on the first train, you're potentially looking at putting them at Southern Cross around 11.30 or so, with possibly having to wait 1/2 hr or so to get the last train home.

That will put a lot of people off and I think (I hope it doesn't) may affect attendances. In my case, I will probably do the trip when work permits, but if I was going with my wife, or had other family or friends I was taking, that time would be prohibitive. I just hope there's no impact on membership-for example even if I don't go to all the games I will still get my membership the same as last year, so the club will get the financial support. And that's the most important thing-having the stadium full for each game is secondary, having the same membership numbers as last year is primary.

The other point, which SJ made well, is that it will probably impact people living in regional areas more than Melbourne members, because for some the Geelong games are the only ones they can get to, and if they've got more than a 2 hour drive, very few will do it after a night game.

That said, I certainly don't blame the club, as I said we were always going to get a lot of night games once the lights went in and the afl would not have had it any other way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back