Rumour Bluemour Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither deserve a two year deal. Giving multi year deals to White's and Armfield's is partly what got us in to this mess. Happy to give them a year at a time as long as they are contributing.
Harsh. Armfield was serviceable around goal this year. Always gives 100% (as does White - and has had to battle much bigger opponents this year without Jammo) and pace is certainly needed in out side. These guys would be playing for the jumper and pretty low dollars. I suspect the club has tried to restore some faith by rewarding those who play for the jumper after the last few of years of ruthless axings.

Harsh. Armfield was serviceable around goal this year. Always gives 100% and pace is certainly needed in out side. These guys would be playing for the jumper and pretty low dollars. I suspect the club has tried to restore some faith by rewarding those who play for the jumper after the last few of years of ruthless axings.

I reckon Kramer is spot on, there is no urgency to give those guys longer extensions. They do give their all but do they have the talent & skills that would get them a game at Hawthorn ??

For White and Armfield to have received new 2 year deals then the club clearly sees them as having something to give.
What are their attributes? Are they there to provide the new guys with a grace period?
SOS has not given out new contracts, just because.
When you have the second worst list in the league you must retain some seasoned players....and since when has SOS signed these players on?

I reckon Kramer is spot on, there is no urgency to give those guys longer extensions. They do give their all but do they have the talent & skills that would get them a game at Hawthorn ??

Probably be better players in better sides, how do you think someone like Puopolo would go in our team?

No but by that same logic we wouldn't have many players left if we got rid of those that didn't measure up to Hawthorn's standard. We have recruited poorly and these guys will be replaced in time but we can't continue to clean out our list until we have no experience or depth. I'm all for a rebuild, but start with those who haven't contributed and those who have nothing left to give (Hurts me to say it but Jammo - well his body - is Gone - White offers us better service in the immediate future)

If that was the criteria that you're working from then.... How about we delist 25 or so players? We honestly don't have any more than 10 players who would get regular games in Hawthorn's premiership teams.

No but by that same logic we wouldn't have many players left if we got rid of those that didn't measure up to Hawthorn's standard. We have recruited poorly and these guys will be replaced in time but we can't continue to clean out our list until we have no experience or depth. I'm all for a rebuild, but start with those who haven't contributed and those who have nothing left to give (Hurts me to say it but Jammo - well his body - is Gone - White offers us better service in the immediate future)

We can't do anything to address retrospective recruiting, but what we can do is to stop making the same mistakes as we have in the past from now on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know that Wiz, all I'm saying is we have to start bringing in players of minimum standard too from now.

I agree with you there. But you also need the blue collar players like Simon White and Dennis Armfield to help instill leadership and minimum required standards of work load and effort at the club. Even if they're eased out of the senior team their qualities will be of importance to the younger players as they develop from VFL players into fully fledged AFL quality players.

Mate, we're nowhere near making the finals in the next two years anyway, why not reward hardworking club stalwarts of the club for hard toil and good work ethic ?
I am convinced White would get a game at Sydney who have an atrocious backline for top 4 team (Rampe and Laidler are nothing more than battlers)

Troy Menzel especially could take a page out of Denny's book with regards to onfield commitment to the cause (running, chasing, tackling, one percenter stuff)

Harsh. Armfield was serviceable around goal this year. Always gives 100% (as does White - and has had to battle much bigger opponents this year without Jammo) and pace is certainly needed in out side. These guys would be playing for the jumper and pretty low dollars. I suspect the clu8b has t00ried to restore some faith by rewarding those who play for the jumper after the last few of years of ruthless axings.
I'd give 100% too. Still, one year at their age is responsible list management

Last edited:
Mate, we're nowhere near making the finals in the next two years anyway, why not reward hardworking club stalwarts of the club for hard toil and good work ethic ?
I am convinced White would get a game at Sydney who have an atrocious backline for top 4 team (Rampe and Laidler are nothing more than battlers)

Troy Menzel especially could take a page out of Denny's book with regards to onfield commitment to the cause (running, chasing, tackling, one percenter stuff)

Since when are we a registered charity ??

I understand where you are coming from but based on the dire state of our list, we are not in a position where we can just handout longer term contracts.

If you keep doing the same thing and expecting different results then you have rocks in your head.

We can't do anything to address retrospective recruiting, but what we can do is to stop making the same mistakes as we have in the past from now on.

Agree. It's a bit like resigning coaches when there are no 'suitors' trying to sign them.

Same with White and Armfield. Can debate about how great a servant they have been - working class players always tend to look like triers - but can't see the point in giving them any longer that 1 year deals when I doubt they are going to poached by other clubs.

Not sure we really need to be 'rewarding' them. They have been well paid and we finished last !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree. It's a bit like resigning coaches when there are no 'suitors' trying to sign them.

Same with White and Armfield. Can debate about how great a servant they have been - working class players always tend to look like triers - but can't see the point in giving them any longer that 1 year deals when I doubt they are going to poached by other clubs.

Not sure we really need to be 'rewarding' them. They have been well paid and we finished last !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like them both too but seriously where they gonna go?

One year contracts maybe with an option of a second year based on minimum games played .... But even that seems excessive.

I don't want to hear reward players anymore!

Time to get bloody ruthless .... CFC it's a privledge not a charity.

I like them both too but seriously where they gonna go?

One year contracts maybe with an option of a second year based on minimum games played .... But even that seems excessive.

I don't want to hear reward players anymore!

Time to get bloody ruthless .... CFC it's a privledge not a charity.

Players get rewarded fairly well for running around kicking some leather.

One year deals. IF they are serviceable and hit their KPIs (even if it is in the twos), we show our loyalty and give them another.

We do need senior players around. We do NOT need to give every bog average trier extra years on their contract becuase the 'give it their all'. No more hamstrung list management.

Lennon in the PSD would be especially delish
Must note the underscore in the name Harker. Different BT. Good post though.

Our trade period is going to be quite interesting. We have a number of targets and we are keen to explore bringing Tomlinson to the club - he also wants to get back to Melb and is keen on Carlton.

Plowman is very likely but need to work through the details of trade. GWS want picks. Whilst our position on Henderson and Yarran is that we want 1st round picks, if we could turn them into Tomlinson and Plowman we will do the deal.

A number of other discussions taking place and a long Way to go yet but are confident we will get a good outcome for the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back