Cars & Transportation Bogans on Public Transport - Time to Make a Stand

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe you haven't heard people say things like "get ******, mate", "you're a ******* idiot, mate" etc.

"You wanna go mate?"... right before fists are thrown.

Kinda weird way to ask someone to fight.

I suppose back in days of yonder you threw a few, then had a beer with the bloke, so they ended up being your mate.

These days people get all head stompy.

I definately find myself using 'mate' towards people who I wouldn't consider myself very friendly too -

obviously it depends on tone, but I'd normally consider 'mate' a bit aggressive...

---

also, OP doesn't like poor people occording to another thread/post? How is that even a thing?

"You wanna go mate?"... right before fists are thrown.

Kinda weird way to ask someone to fight.

I suppose back in days of yonder you threw a few, then had a beer with the bloke, so they ended up being your mate.

These days people get all head stompy.

Which again makes you wonder if all of this noble "turning of the other cheek" is actually of benefit to society?

As you say, back in the day, we would indeed have a blue and then have a beer together.

No knives, no head-stomping and very, very few people shoving people on escalators.

Which again makes you wonder if all of this noble "turning of the other cheek" is actually of benefit to society?

As you say, back in the day, we would indeed have a blue and then have a beer together.

No knives, no head-stomping and very, very few people shoving people on escalators.

Did that really happen or is it a classic case of romanticism?

Did that really happen or is it a classic case of romanticism?

Obviously not all of the time, but yeah it was quite common.

There was, most certainly, a line as to where the fight stopped, (which was when one protaginist went to the ground), or bystanders would step in and stop it.

Obviously not all of the time, but yeah it was quite common.

There was, most certainly, a line as to where the fight stopped, (which was when one protaginist went to the ground), or bystanders would step in and stop it.

years ago back in Adelaide, five of us got started on by some meathead thugs who called us 'emo f@ggots' because we were all wearing black jeans - They pretty much creamed us fairly easily, pretty certain two of them were on meth. Anyway, one of my mates after getting knocked down came back up swinging and proceeded to get knocked straight back onto the ground, but then the meathead put the boot into him as well...

It was kinda weird because that pretty much stopped the entire fight. There were calls from bystanders, and even some of the other meatheads, about 'not putting the boot in' and that was kinda of it. It was really weird because I felt like they were hell bent on smashing up as much as possible at that stage....

Then they ran like wimps when they saw cops appearing (it was Hindley St) ...

Good ol' Adelaide - Where you're still likely to cop a beating for being a 'freak'

Yes mate, champ, sport, buddy can sound condecending, but it all depends on the context.

Studies show when communicating with other people it is-
7% what you say (words used)
38% how you say it (tone etc)
55% body language

My boss calls me "buddy", but he has never said it in a condecending way. When I see him in the morning he might say "Hey buddy! How are ya today?"

That is totally different to bumping into somone and they say "Are you right buddy"

Same goes with mate. I call all my friends mate. I call almost everyone I meet mate. But you hear it in aggressive circumstances as well.

"Are you ******* right mate?"

Really the word its self doesn't matter too much. If you genuinely mean it in a friendly way, the person will pick up on that. If you mean it in an agressive or condecending way... it will come accross that way.

Maybe if you let out one of those extended "maaaaaaaaayte" when someone does something to slightly inconvenience you. But then then, in "* you, mate" surely it's the **** that is the condescending part.

Yes mate, champ, sport, buddy can sound condecending, but it all depends on the context.

Studies show when communicating with other people it is-
7% what you say (words used)
38% how you say it (tone etc)
55% body language

My boss calls me "buddy", but he has never said it in a condecending way. When I see him in the morning he might say "Hey buddy! How are ya today?"

That is totally different to bumping into somone and they say "Are you right buddy"

Same goes with mate. I call all my friends mate. I call almost everyone I meet mate. But you hear it in aggressive circumstances as well.

"Are you ******* right mate?"

Really the word its self doesn't matter too much. If you genuinely mean it in a friendly way, the person will pick up on that. If you mean it in an agressive or condecending way... it will come accross that way.

This ^. It's all context. Can't believe how precious some people are with how others address them.

Geez, cobber. Lighten up.
Sure he should have stayed to the left and not pushed you.
No need for you to retaliate though, possibly escalating in to a fight or worse.

Personally, I prefer to not risk losing my clean sheet over such trivial matters lest it risk a conviction and destroy employment and overseas travel plans.

On the flip side, if he'd seriously assaulted you in a crowded space, you'd have a heap of witnesses to your self defence if you threw one back (or atleast others to help restrain him). But flooring him after what I presume is a gentle push (you didn't fall down the escalator, right) does not sounds like a wise move. Why not just swallow your pride, not retaliate and in doing so de-escalate the situation?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the real underlying issue here is the fact the guy was blocking the right hand side of the escalator. Time to make a stand against those people! Scum.

I've never understood why it is rarely publicised to stand on the left of escalators in Melbourne. Surely stickers on the left side saying "stand here" would help massively, it's simple and hopefully the ignorant people might take notice.

A physical confrontation over escalator etiquette would make me wonder what I'm doing with my life.

Don't ever go to China, OP. You'll turn into Russell Crowe.

I've never understood why it is rarely publicised to stand on the left of escalators in Melbourne. Surely stickers on the left side saying "stand here" would help massively, it's simple and hopefully the ignorant people might take notice.

Most escalators aren't really wide enough to have "lanes", are they?

The sort of people who don't notice everyone standing on one side of the escalator (in places where it is quite ingrained) aren't really the sort of people who notice small details like a sticker.

While the guy was clearly a moronic bogan, judging by the abuse and eventual shoving, I probably would have just waited the 20 seconds standing behind him without saying anything. Aussies tend to go out of their way to avoid all interaction with strangers, rarely to you hear anyone actually say anything in situations like this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back