Movie Box office flops or panned films that you liked

Remove this Banner Ad

I even didn't mind Battlefield Earth. :D Ok, it's far from great, but I'd watch it again.

Provided you view it as a cheesy B-grade flick, Battlefield Earth is pretty good. Travolta copped alot of crap for his performance, but I always thought his hammy, over-the-top acting was perfect for what this film should have been.

It's only because the film tried to be so serious and earnest that it flopped so badly. As throwaway pulp sci-fi, it was fine.

Eyes Wide Shut and Vanilla Sky are the big ones for me.

Bullet (1996), Killshot, Kalifornia, Rampart, Summer of Sam, and At Close Range would be others I liked that either flopped financially or aren't considered especially great films.

Didn't realise this was a flop. Shameful.

The Cable Guy.

Best thing Carey's done. A delghtfully creepy comedy

I enjoyed Pret-A-Porter by Robert Altman (critically and commercially caned).

Scorcese's The King Of Comedy never received the accolade's that it truly deserved.

Peckinpah's "* You" to hollywood, Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia is in my opinion, one of the greatrest films ever

I have never seen the much-maligned Batman & Robin from 1997, that starred George Clooney, Chris O'Donnell, Alicia Silverstone, Arnold Schwartzenegger and Uma Thurman.

Is this film in the "So Bad It's Good" category like the campy 1960s Batman TV series & made-for-TV movies starring Burt Ward and Adam West, or is it just plain bad?

I have never seen the much-maligned Batman & Robin from 1997, that starred George Clooney, Chris O'Donnell, Alicia Silverstone, Arnold Schwartzenegger and Uma Thurman.

Is this film in the "So Bad It's Good" category like the campy 1960s Batman TV series & made-for-TV movies starring Burt Ward and Adam West, or is it just plain bad?

The TV show was less campy. It's just bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warrior with Tom Hardy and Aussie Joel Edgerton. Great film.

Critically acclaimed movie but only made $23m at the Box Office (from a budget of $25m) so would have to be considered a 'flop' commercially.

Ha. Me either. I don't like Batman movies, so I usually avoid them, but I wouldn't mind having look at that one

I tend to agree with you on that one. I find the highly promoted, ultra-serious Batman movies dull, but loved the 1960s TV Series. I might see if I can find a copy of Batman and Robin from somewhere and watch it.

Flash Gordon
Pearl Harbor
Jack & Jill

I have never seen Flash Gordon so I can't comment. I personally didn't like Pearl Harbor, but can understand that some did like it.

But Jack & Jill? I am a huge fan of Adam Sandler. I know the critics savage most movies he makes, but the majority were not made to win an Academy award, and they are big on entertainment value (Little Nicky, Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Waterboy, Grown Ups, Big Daddy, That's My Boy etc.). Adam Sandler clearly has talent for writing and acting quality drama as much as comedy; try watching the second half of Click if you don't believe me. And even movies of Sandler's I didn't much care for, such as Funny People, it was more an indifference caused by the movie having no emotional impact upon me than active dislike. However, I found Jack & Jill absolutely terrible, and one of the worst films I have ever seen. I couldn't see a single redeeming feature about it at all. Normally I dismiss the critics' opinions of Sandler films, but in this case, I agree with every scathing review.

I'm not mocking you for liking Jack & Jill, but am curious as to what you found to like about it.

This should answer your question:

I thought 'Batman Forever' was actually a really good super hero film. Wasn't as dark and moody as the two Burton Batmans that came before it, but it had a good comic book feel, Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones were excellently dastardly as the villians, and IMO Val Kilmer captured the 'struggle' of the Batman character probably better than any actor to play the role.

Too many cult classics in this thread, they're cheating.

One of my favourite films from my childhood was an awful (possibly even direct-to-video) vehicle for Rob Lowe called Hostile Intent. It is indefensible, terrible, and glorious.

I thought 'Batman Forever' was actually a really good super hero film. Wasn't as dark and moody as the two Burton Batmans that came before it, but it had a good comic book feel, Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones were excellently dastardly as the villians, and IMO Val Kilmer captured the 'struggle' of the Batman character probably better than any actor to play the role.

yeah, i quite like that one.

batman and robin is a ******* abortion though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back