Movie Film Analysis - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
All purpose thread for in depth analysis of films. Their meanings. Explanations. Etc.

Mulholland Drive is one of my favorite all-time films. The amount of work that David Lynch put in, crafting the multi-layers to perfection, so many clues built in -- dialogue, props, stories within stories, etc -- it's a stupendous masterpiece the likes of which I've never seen before.

The linked site is a killer amount of text to read and absorb, but well worth the journey for those who love the film. Highly recommended.

Even before I read the link I pasted above, I appreciated the depths and degrees that existed in this film, and I got the essential storyline, but I won't lie and pretend I picked up on a majority of the things going on, the clues, the correlations.

But after reading the entire pages of the linked site (over two nights), I came away with an even greater awe than I did before. So many things gleaned that I never picked up before, it altered how I understood the story of Mulholland Drive, and has pushed this film up even higher on my all-time favorite movies due to not only the sheer depth of the story, but the craftsmanship involved in every scene, every shot, packed with meaning and correlations to multiple other scenes and sub-stories. It's almost unfathomable how an artist can concoct so much meaning in every tiny little detail and every space in between.

Fascinated now to research any book, article, video, interview, or documentary on the "making of" this film.

True, the linked site is just an interpretation, and I didn't agree with everything the author surmised, but I agree with over 90% of it.

And there's even more meaning to this film because it's also a meta commentary on the film itself, a personal statement regarding how the very Mulholland TV project was terminated originally.

I find a lot of Lynch's films are not only multi-layered within themselves, and with call-backs to various other films and historical events/people, but also a meta commentary, a personal aspect related to the project itself embedded in.

There's a couple more interesting little articles worth reading, just because of the intellectualism touched on regarding other things, like LA directors vs NY directors and things like that.

THE CINEMA OF DAVID LYNCH PART TWO: THE L.A. TRILOGY (LOST HIGHWAY, MULHOLLAND DRIVE & INLAND EMPIRE)

All Lynch’s work is intentionally jarring, but something compelling forces you to watch. I never got that from MD, it’s abstract without an underlying structure driving it forward. Took me 5 attempts to get through it.

I’m generally a fan of Lynch, Blue Velvet is up there with my favourite films.

Ive forgotten the plot I haven’t seen it in 15 odd years so you’ve inspired me to give it another go.

Watched Mulholland Drive a little while ago, and didn't really enjoy it. As soon as it ended though, it was all I could think about, and I went over and over it in my mind to impose some coherence upon it, to try to make sense of it (probably a self-defeating exercise, lol), until I came up with an interpretation that worked for me. As soon as the next Monday came around, I went nuts at work, actively trying to find someone I could discuss it with.

No other film has ever had this effect on me.

While hugely lauded at the time, its reputation has only grown. In fact, according to a number of recent polls, including the prestigious BBC Culture, this two-time loser is the best movie of the 21st century.

A number of interesting tidbits in the article above.

How Mulholland TV show was meant to be a spinoff of Twin Peaks, with Aubry Horne as the hollywood hopeful. How Twin Peaks was originally a story about Marilyn Monroe.

How Naomi Watts was about ready to quit acting forever when Lynch called, she was a real life Betty. How Lynch never auditions actors, he just looks at photos of their faces and reads their aura basically. So how he manages to get such great performances out of them, relative unknowns, is amazing. Especially too with how little direction he gives...."walk like a broken doll when you play Rita. Walk like a kitty cat when you play Camilla".

How Mulholland Drive is a thin boundary separating Hollywood in the Santa Monica mountains from the pr0n industry in San Fernando Valley.

So theres more than one meta in there. Mulholland Drive the project itself is Betty. As well as Naomi Watts, and again embedded further with Diane a meta re: The Sylvia North Story as explained in the Alan Shaw Essays.

Also how Lost Highway indeed was kind of inspired by the OJ Simpson case.

Actually, hes very hands on with all the actors, a lot of specifics and little details, a certain look, gesture, way, he wants, like an a conductor of an orchestra. But he connects with them eye to eye, bonds with them, and directs them via metaphors and visual elements rather than words and intellect.

Another excellent article. Not so wordy and all over the place, but well-written.

A monumentally important screenplay. Dear every screenwriter/filmmaker, read David Lynch’s screenplay for Mulholland Drive [PDF].

Been on a David Cronenberg marathon too. Have last seen some of his films when I was young and a neighborhood friend was a big Cronenberg fan. But going back over his films (little by little) there definitely is hidden meanings and social messages going on. Eg, The Fly and AIDS.

Here's a good article analyzing Shivers, his first feature...

Been watching ROOM 237, a documentary about Kubrick's The Shining. Specifically meticulously re-written and re-imagined as an over-arching attempt by Kubrick to expose a bunch of lies and truths about the world, meanings and symbolisms layered in, eg, the moon landing was fake. But many other topics as well. Just like Eyes Wide Shut was also an attempt at exposing lies and truths.

Lynch and Cronenberg, now you're speaking my language.
Crimes of the future has been on my watchlist for a couple weeks, thanks for the reminder!

Also, I will stary my in-depth analysis of Mulholland Drive by saying it has the greatest lesbian sex scene of all time, Lynch is truly an Artist.

Been watching ROOM 237, a documentary about Kubrick's The Shining. Specifically meticulously re-written and re-imagined as an over-arching attempt by Kubrick to expose a bunch of lies and truths about the world, meanings and symbolisms layered in, eg, the moon landing was fake. But many other topics as well. Just like Eyes Wide Shut was also an attempt at exposing lies and truths

Has Stanley Kubrick actually said that, or is that just online theories?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been on a David Cronenberg marathon too. Have last seen some of his films when I was young and a neighborhood friend was a big Cronenberg fan. But going back over his films (little by little) there definitely is hidden meanings and social messages going on. Eg, The Fly and AIDS.

Here's a good article analyzing Shivers, his first feature...

Just watched Cronenbergs latest,
Crimes of the Future.
In the future pain is obsolete and performance art surgery is the new sex.
Very weird movie,couldn't look away.
Good addition to the science fiction body horror
genre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back