Brad Sheppard

Remove this Banner Ad

I've lost all patience with Sheppard, absolutely cannot stand him anymore. For a bazillion different reasons.

But I will be the first to put up my hand and acknowledge he played a fantastic game for us last week against the Saints.

He'd better lift his output this year consistently or he'll be skating on thin ice come seasons end.

Give him 22 games in one spot and see how he goes! i think he will surprise. People forget he has only played 46 games!

That's not something I'd be pointing out. There's a REASON he's only played 46 games.

The fact he has been disappointing and unable to take the next step up at AFL level, has not put on any sort of weight whatsoever, possesses the same core strength he had sine he started, constantly fumbles the ball and looks rushed... are some of the reasons why he has only played 46 games in 4 seasons.

While I am doing a terrible job as his sponsor this year, HE WILL PROVE YOU ALL WRONG.

Would you rather Brennan, Smith, Carter or Wilson in the team? Just think about that.

While I am doing a terrible job as his sponsor this year, HE WILL PROVE YOU ALL WRONG.

Would you rather Brennan, Smith, Carter or Wilson in the team? Just think about that.

James-Van-Der-Beek-Crying-On-Dawsons-Creek-Gif.gif

Err.. I for one would rather Carter.

Well not quite, give him a few more games and if he's still unimpressive bring Carts in.

I don't actually mind Carter either, but Sheppard is the best available replacement for Hurn IMO.

Has surprised me , I think the HB role is where he is suited . Already feel he can contribute more than smith . When/ if the game plan goes to short to medium range kicking to leading players all the way up the ground aka hawks style shep has the kicking and speed for seperation on lead that Simpson will look for . Hoping by seasons end he will be in everyone's best 22 sides for 2015

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not something I'd be pointing out. There's a REASON he's only played 46 games.

The fact he has been disappointing and unable to take the next step up at AFL level, has not put on any sort of weight whatsoever, possesses the same core strength he had sine he started, constantly fumbles the ball and looks rushed... are some of the reasons why he has only played 46 games in 4 seasons.

Injuries have been the major factor in him missing so many games imo. This has possibly affected his confidence, not only in his body, but also in his ability, as evidenced by fumbles and looking rushed as you pointed out. Anyhow he's been much better this year with his ball handling and not fumbled as much as last year. His decision making has also been much better. With more experience at AFL level this will improve, we just has to get a good crack at it. Also considering his body shape he was always going to play less in his first few years in an attempt to bulk up. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to do that but not everyone is Jaegar O'meara. He still can get pushed off the ball but he at the same token can still play a role in defence either as a loose man or running defender if he matches up well with his opponent.

A look at his short career indicates he has the ability. In his first year he was very impressive in defence playing 14 games in the second half of the year with all the injuries to key players giving him a chance. In 2011 he had a few niggles and was quiet, but it's also worth considering we had a very fit squad over the course of the year so he was a depth player for most of the year. 2012 was his best year when he played as a half forward when he took Nico's spot. During the year he was hailed as our next break-out player but got injured half way through the year and missed the rest of the season just when he was getting some consistency and confidence in his game. In 2013 he was played at half forward, wing, rover, half back and back pocket by Woosha in the midst of our injuries and just got lost. The point is he has never had a proper crack at a season without any interruptions, or in last years case, one particular role, to get accustomed to AFL. We have to make him work as a player because he is far too talented to be delisted. He has speed and foot skills, something we lack out of defence so lets just see how he develops with a full season under his belt in a position he played a lot of his junior days. From there who knows where he'll end up.

The fact he has been disappointing and unable to take the next step up at AFL level, has not put on any sort of weight whatsoever, possesses the same core strength he had sine he started
He needs to put on some bulk or get cleaner below his knees.

Preferably both.
Oh, these old chestnuts. Muscle size does not necessarily correlate with muscle strength. I can guarantee that he is much, much stronger through the core than he was when first drafted.

Kept thinking about the fact he was the same pick as Geelong's captain so much the other night.

he was same pick but draft qualities were VERY different. In same draft as Selwood, Sheppard would not have been anywhere near 7. so to just compare numbers really is too simplistic.

but none the less, i think he has been ok. he is definitely cleaner below his knees in my opinion and works hard. if expectation is to be some sort of star then yes, he is a failure. but he has improved. if people think he will never be a midfielder then thats not a blight on his game. plenty of stars aren't. as long as he can play there few mins each quarter whilst the best mids are rotated, I'm pretty sure thats all thats required of him.

Kept thinking about the fact he was the same pick as Geelong's captain so much the other night.

Completely irrelevant. You are comparing one of the best drafts of all time with one of the worst. Plus Selwood slid because some club doctors thought his knees were gone and he wouldnt play past 26 (clearly wrong). He was considered a top 3 pick early in his draft year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back