Remove this Banner Ad

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
I've seen a few of these threads in other clubs forums, i feel it's an interesting topic where we could express some love for 3 players to breakout/watch/your favourite.

This could provide afl fantasy/supercoach coaches easy access without clogging up other threads.

My 3 for 2023;

1. Noah Anderson

Anderson is going into his 4th season next year, he's already broken out, but i feel he's gonna hit Andrew Brayshaw level respect this year. Averaging 26 touches, ranking elite in metres gained 540m per game. 5.6 clearances, 5.6 score involvements all this in his 3rd season. He's added some goals to his game, even clutch goals (eg. Richmond).

Anderson's finished top 3 in the preseason 2km's, already runs both ways, 2nd in the B&F with 14 brownlow votes. He's only missed 3 games since is debut in 2020, All-Australian Smokey if he can add some goals.

2. Joel Jeffrey

We're pretty blessed to have so much talent at our club. Jeffrey adds massive X Factor, 192cm super quick & agile, skilful & possess the stickiest hands at the club. Jeffrey is in for a huge year, i feel he can play 22 games next year. The forward line will be pretty tall considering King, Chol, Lukosius all close to "certainties". Jeffrey skillset would be perfect off half back like a Jordan Dawson type role. Whatever Dew choses, we need to see him best 22.

3. Sam Flanders

VFL King last year, pumping out 40 touches on the regular. Flanders in his last 2 AFL games, was pretty average against the eventual premiers in Geelong but played well against North. He'll have to find the balance next year, with the Captain Touk Miller pumping up his tyres. I'm expecting big things from Ned in 2023. He's admitted to being fitter than ever, taking his professionalism to another level. In the VFL he moved around the ground like Tom Rockliff which would suggest he was too good for that level. He'll be fighting Fiorini, Davies, Swallow for that last spot. Flanders has 30 games under his belt, he'll need to break out this year hopefully as an inside midfield rotation and forward flanker in the mould of Rozee/Butters at Port.

I've seen a few of these threads in other clubs forums, i feel it's an interesting topic where we could express some love for 3 players to breakout/watch/your favourite.

This could provide afl fantasy/supercoach coaches easy access without clogging up other threads.

My 3 for 2023;

1. Noah Anderson

Anderson is going into his 4th season next year, he's already broken out, but i feel he's gonna hit Andrew Brayshaw level respect this year. Averaging 26 touches, ranking elite in metres gained 540m per game. 5.6 clearances, 5.6 score involvements all this in his 3rd season. He's added some goals to his game, even clutch goals (eg. Richmond).

Anderson's finished top 3 in the preseason 2km's, already runs both ways, 2nd in the B&F with 14 brownlow votes. He's only missed 3 games since is debut in 2020, All-Australian Smokey if he can add some goals.

2. Joel Jeffrey

We're pretty blessed to have so much talent at our club. Jeffrey adds massive X Factor, 192cm super quick & agile, skilful & possess the stickiest hands at the club. Jeffrey is in for a huge year, i feel he can play 22 games next year. The forward line will be pretty tall considering King, Chol, Lukosius all close to "certainties". Jeffrey skillset would be perfect off half back like a Jordan Dawson type role. Whatever Dew choses, we need to see him best 22.

3. Sam Flanders

VFL King last year, pumping out 40 touches on the regular. Flanders in his last 2 AFL games, was pretty average against the eventual premiers in Geelong but played well against North. He'll have to find the balance next year, with the Captain Touk Miller pumping up his tyres. I'm expecting big things from Ned in 2023. He's admitted to being fitter than ever, taking his professionalism to another level. In the VFL he moved around the ground like Tom Rockliff which would suggest he was too good for that level. He'll be fighting Fiorini, Davies, Swallow for that last spot. Flanders has 30 games under his belt, he'll need to break out this year hopefully as an inside midfield rotation and forward flanker in the mould of Rozee/Butters at Port.
I would still like Noah to work more on his upper body (Rowel could teach him a lesson or two) and improve his tackling.

Jeffrey is a finisher (we don't have many). Forward a must for me.

Just love how Flanders is committed to the club. I did not expect it. Hopefully, he has a breakout season, was pretty average in 2022.

I agree on Rowell, he has become a solid defensive player but I'm backing him to get that attacking side back we seen early days.
Hollands I think can make huge strides next year. Interesting that everyone has him starting wing but actually think he is best suited as a mid/fwd.
I'm backing in Lukosius to really improve again. The knee injury really interrupted his season just gone and really hope he can get some consistency in his game next year. Where he plays will be interesting.

I'm backing Rowell too.

Jeffrey can't be thrown down back when he was that effective and mercurial up forward. That's mental. We just lost Rankine and despite being a different style he is the only one with that freakish X-Factor. We are going to need it plus he needs stability in his game.

I'm backing Rowell too.

Jeffrey can't be thrown down back when he was that effective and mercurial up forward. That's mental. We just lost Rankine and despite being a different style he is the only one with that freakish X-Factor. We are going to need it plus he needs stability in his game.
Jeffery strikes me as someone who loves the glory of a goal. Like Sexton. You can’t put those kind of players in the back half, as I just don’t think they have the motivation.

I have Jeffery as the replacement for Rankine and also have him above Rosas if we could only play one (say Sexton was looking good, or Humphrey demands selection etc.)

Probably unfair to have too much expectation on King or Powell but seeing the pictures of them through pre season so far it's hard not to be excited about what those 2 could do next year.

1. Jeffrey - super talented, looks stronger, hopefully learned his body and can stay healthy.
2. Hollands - another great talent, his vision, hands, delivery great for our team.
3. Davies - hopefully we did not put games into him for nothing, could ultimately become our inside Swallow like warrior.

I was also considering Luko, Rosas, Flanders and even Chol who I suspect could reach 60 goals.

I will be also rooting for Ace, Andrew.

A bit different, but the 3 that need to step up IMO:

Lukosius
Has to be this year. Still floats in and out of games and hasn’t had that ‘welcome to the AFL’ moment that makes him believe he belongs among the elite (Rowell, Noah, King, Ballard, Jeffrey etc. have all had that game/moment for example). Looks like we are finally going to have him settle as the third tall/CHF to dob them on the chest of King and Chol, and he looks like he is maturing physically, so really no more excuses for him. Luko steps up and becomes the player he is capable of becoming, and we make finals.

Graham
The club has a lot of belief in him and he is physically ready, so hopefully we will start to see what they see. Learning that he can mark the ball and not just blindly go in with his fist will make a world of difference to his game. I’m still sceptical.

Flanders
Has everyone at the club behind him, and his work in the VFL/off-season makes it look like footy has clicked for him. If he can become a genuine midfielder, with the ability to break away and hand off to a ball user, then we’ve got ourselves and elite midfield. I’m optimistic.

Additionally, I think this is the year Hollands goes into the middle and shows why he was in the mix for the number 1 pick. Him, Flanders, and Davies should allow for Rowell to become more dangerous and not need to shoulder the grunt work.

And Rosas and Jeffrey combine to largely offset the Rankine loss.

Make or break year for Sharp. There’s a spot there for him if he wants to put in the effort.

I'll play! The three I'd really like to break out are Joel Jeffrey, Elijah Hollands and Bailey Humphrey. Of those who've been around for a while I'd love Sam Flanders, Luko and Sharpy to emerge and maintain form over a full season. ...and then there's Noah, Rowelly and Charlie Ballard to really take off.
Looking good. Most people have Jeffrey and Hollands. I personally gave up on Sharp after playing a homesick card (when by all reports he loves it on GC).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just quietly, Andy Brayshaw & Noah Anderson have very similar stats over their career and Noah is 2 years younger.

Andy a harder worker, Noah is a more naturally gifted athlete. If Noah's work rate keeps ticking up, he will be the better player.

If breakout means playing in the AFL and going up at least one level of performance but preferably two levels:

1. Mabior is just about to hit his prime as a tall player (age and games played), about to have a full pre-season, and will not get the best defender while King is in the team.
  2. Matt Rowell just about to hit his early prime as a midfielder (4th pre-season, 40 games) and everyone will be focusing on Touk and Noah. There is a reason he went number 1.
  3. The Year of the Crab is 2023.

Last edited:
If breakout means playing in the AFL and going up at least one level or performance but preferably two levels:

1. Mabior is just about to hit his prime as a tall player (age and games played), about to have a full pre-season, and will not get the best defender while King is in the team.
  2. Matt Rowell just about to hit his early prime as a midfielder (4th pre-season, 40 games) and everyone will be focusing on Touk and Noah. There is a reason he went number 1.
  3. The Year of the Crab is 2023.
The Crab will be in a pot by the end of the year!

My 3 for 2023;

1. Noah Anderson

2. Joel Jeffrey

3. Sam Flanders

He'll be fighting Fiorini, Davies, Swallow for that last spot.???
You put Dave with those guys and Ned??
You have to stop doing it buddy
If you think Swallow is anywhere near last picked in the team you don’t understand Suns selection
I’d imagine his name goes on the whiteboard just after Miller Witts and Anderson

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I would never expect to see on this forum Crab transformation from whipping boy to breakout player. Let's see after a couple of games. Not sure where that optimism comes from. I will be happy with steady progress. He may not even start game 1.

Last edited:
I would never expect to see on this forum Crab transformation from whipping boy to breakout player. Let's see after a couple of games. Not sure where that optimism comes from. I will be happy with steady progress. He may not even start game 1.
I don't see it
He hasn't shown any ability to read the game
He's strong, dedicated , quick enough and has decent skills actually
But to be a defender you have to think quicker than your opponent
That's what made Rory T's physical fragility such a shame-you never saw him caught out too much when he was strong and fast
Quick thinking and Caleb are not intersecting Venn diagrams IMO
Could be serviceable but I for one hope we don't have to rely on him
Would he get a game over Mac Collo or Chucky B?
I hope not-but hoping he can go on to fill a role if needed
Breakout?I don't think so
Incremental improvement -maybe

Breakout for me is Will Powell-the competition will see what we see
Chucky Ballard ditto-will be AA
And my smokey is Ben Ainsworth.
Have always been amazed by his workrate but last year I think we saw the beginnings of consistency and results on the scoreboard.I hope this year the competition is talking about him and opposition coaches will have to start planning how to manage him

Last edited:
I don't see it
He hasn't shown any ability to read the game
He's strong, dedicated , quick enough and has decent skills actually
But to be a defender you have to think quicker than your opponent
That's what made Rory T's physical fragility such a shame-you never saw him caught out too much when he was strong and fast
Quick thinking and Caleb are not intersecting Venn diagrams IMO
Could be serviceable but I for one hope we don't have to rely on him
Would he get a game over Mac Collo or Chucky B?
I hope not-but hoping he can go on to fill a role if needed
Breakout?I don't think so
Incremental improvement -maybe
If he can have decent skills and nullify an opponent that's a good key back imo.

He'll be fighting Fiorini, Davies, Swallow for that last spot.???
You put Dave with those guys and Ned??
You have to stop doing it buddy
If you think Swallow is anywhere near last picked in the team you don’t understand Suns selection
I’d imagine his name goes on the whiteboard just after Miller Witts and Anderson

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Fighting for that last midfield spot*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back