Bring back the AFL Reserves Competition

Would you like to see the AFL reintroduce the AFL Reserves Competition

• Yes

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • No

Votes: 24 19.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked it when you got to see the seconds run around before the main game, you could really make a day of it.

I'll have a stab at Geelong's.

Best 22

B: Rivers Lonergan Guthrie
HB: Mackie Taylor Enright
C: Varcoe Duncan Christensen
HF: Motlop Vardy Caddy
F: Bartel Hawkins Menzel
Foll: McIntosh Johnson Selwood
Int: Kelly Simpson Stokes T.Hunt

Never going to happen. Leaving the fitness of those players out of it that would just be way too tall.

I liked it when you got to see the seconds run around before the main game, you could really make a day of it.

This.

I like how the before the Dream Time game next year, the VFL sides will play across the road at Punt Road.

I think it's be great fun for each team to have a senior/2nds/u18s/women's system in a national league.

How viable that is would be a different question.

I think it's be great fun for each team to have a senior/2nds/u18s/women's system in a national league.

How viable that is would be a different question.

The AFL could fund it.

But no one cares about women's football and tokenistic 'women's rounds' are already sufficient in terms of the AFL appearing to be inclusive. Under 18s contradict the drafting system, plus the colts system in WA and SA and the TAC Cup are amply sufficient. Reserves would kill the state leagues, which is probably what the AFL want, so it wouldn't be a good thing at all.

I think a womens league wouldn't be a bad thing. It obviously wouldn't get the viewership of the mens league but would still have some viewership. The extra cost is only the players and a maybe 2-3 extra coaches. They would utilize the same facilities as the mens team and play under the same board/name/colours. Would probably be best to contain the comp to Victoria as the travel costs will be next to nothing and play at the suburban grounds as a curtain raiser to the Vic reserves league. The success of this will determine wether or not expanding to a national womens/reserves league is viable.

Re-introducing AFL Reserve would give a great boost and even out State League Football. As it allows State League players and clubs to do what they should be striving for to win premiership not provide a holding place for surplus AFL players.

The AFL reserves competition is exactly what AFL Clubs need a development competition for players to develop into Senior players and provide a place for senior players to regain form.

Added bonus is that it gives fans maybe not every week but regularly the chance to watch two games for the admission price. Also gives the fans a chance to barrack for the Reserves rather than divide their loyalties between maybe who they always supported at State League level vs the club in the State league competition or who they are aligned to.

Also the argument that the AFL can't afford it is ridiculous they are making millions and could certainly afford a reserve competition.

I think a womens league wouldn't be a bad thing. It obviously wouldn't get the viewership of the mens league but would still have some viewership. The extra cost is only the players and a maybe 2-3 extra coaches. They would utilize the same facilities as the mens team and play under the same board/name/colours. Would probably be best to contain the comp to Victoria as the travel costs will be next to nothing and play at the suburban grounds as a curtain raiser to the Vic reserves league. The success of this will determine wether or not expanding to a national womens/reserves league is viable.

Isn't there already a Victorian womens footy league? The only change you're making is have them play under existing AFL club banners. Something the clubs themselves can decide to do if they want.
TBH, i'm surprised Collingwood haven't got a womens team already. Cost them next to nothing to run and worth a bit in PR you'd think.

Just had a look at their website - there is a St Kilda, but I don't know whether they've got any alignment to the AFL St Kilda. Probably not. You'd hope not anyway if your daughter was playing for them.

They should do this. I believe each club should get a zone and they are allowed to pick one player (with the same system as the father son from their zone each year).
This will encourage clubs to have more community involvement as well as help them build support.

Which would defeat the purpose of the draft then? Besides you might get what used to happen in the old days of the richer clubs coaxing the parents of players to move into their zone.

I think what may happen is not so much a reserves competition, but a development type underage competition for 19-23 year olds given many clubs recruit most new players in that age bracket. Much like the NRL Under 20's, the players can be drawn from senior lists and excess players have to either be in employment or be full time studying (University or apprenticeship). The non-listed players cannot be called up onto a primary list that season (unless they are already on the supplementary list, which is what the Rookie list should be called now), but those players can be put onto a clubs primary list for the following season in the same manner as a father-son pick (bidding process) OR be drafted onto a club's supplementary list.

Game of the week to also be shown on Fox Footy LIVE on a Saturday Morning.

while we're at send the TAC Cup teams back to the AFL sides so they can have under 18s too. They might even start to feel like real clubs instead of corporate entities.

At present a TAC Cup team is 100% focused on developing their players. Align them with AFL clubs and all of a sudden junior development becomes a 5% sideline activity for the AFL club. The kids get kicked out of the gym, off the ground, and get an occasional 10 minutes here and there with a coach.

In Victoria that may be a problem but every other state should be able to cope with the curtain raiser games. Whilst in Victoria they could use the suburban grounds like Western Oval etc.

Curtain raisers must finish at least an hour before the main game according to AFL rules. This means for a 2pm main game the reserves will be scheduled to start at about 10.15am and probably finish about 12.45pm. Making people sit around for more than an hour. Far less people that you think will bother to attend.

At present a TAC Cup team is 100% focused on developing their players. Align them with AFL clubs and all of a sudden junior development becomes a 5% sideline activity for the AFL club. The kids get kicked out of the gym, off the ground, and get an occasional 10 minutes here and there with a coach.

Curtain raisers must finish at least an hour before the main game according to AFL rules. This means for a 2pm main game the reserves will be scheduled to start at about 10.15am and probably finish about 12.45pm. Making people sit around for more than an hour. Far less people that you think will bother to attend.

You might be right maybe there wouldn't be huge crowds there for the reserves but I know there would be at least a few families and people that can't afford to go to the AFL footy that often that would appreciate getting to see their club play two games for the admission price they have to pay to get in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a reserves comp, but teams must have a different 'location' to their parent in order to spread the game out a bit.

Some will be pretty basic...e.g. The Cragieburn Tigers (Richmond has a training ground there), but it can also be use as a marketing tool/show of commitment to an area e.g. The Launceston Hawks.

If the clubs thought it was worthwhile I suppose. But I'm not sure what advantages they'd get they don't already have using the state leagues.

LOL at "Get to watch two games" as a reason. Like more than a few hundred people would give a s**t.

Richmond's VFL team has a few games at Punt Road before the game at the G, which could be interesting. We've had events there pre game before which tend to get a decent turnup.

I dare say the crowd will grow significantly as the match goes on though.

Having a national reserves would build the game nationwide. Having 2 games at each ground each week is better for the punters and better for the teams.

Got to be honest have no idea why the AFL dont do it. This is the one thing compared to the other codes that the AFL are behind in.

It's not financially viable is the reason. There's teams already struggling to turn a profit let alone having to support a reserves team as well which would have to also travel interstate.

It's not financially viable is the reason. There's teams already struggling to turn a profit let alone having to support a reserves team as well which would have to also travel interstate.

How can it not be afforded by the AFL when they are the biggest comp in the country? even the A-League has a national reserves/junior comp

Having a national reserves would build the game nationwide. Having 2 games at each ground each week is better for the punters and better for the teams.

Got to be honest have no idea why the AFL dont do it. This is the one thing compared to the other codes that the AFL are behind in.

We have many games at the MCG / Etihad already. The surface would not take a doubling of fixtures. We all can picture the SCG mudbath in the middle of winter - curtain raisers on that ground to chop it up more would hardly please the AFL, players or media.

NRL, Rugby Union, basketball don't have national reserve competitions.

How can it not be afforded by the AFL when they are the biggest comp in the country? even the A-League has a national reserves/junior comp

Which plays at different venues on different days.

We have many games at the MCG / Etihad already. The surface would not take a doubling of fixtures. We all can picture the SCG mudbath in the middle of winter - curtain raisers on that ground to chop it up more would hardly please the AFL, players or media.

NRL has a national under 21's comp, but there is a push to bring back the reserves. Union are only now getting a national comp going and its not even professional. As for the NBL wll less said there the better

Not all the time, but if you are worried about the surface theres no reason that couldnt happen for the AFL as well.

Seems like there is plenty of support for an AFL Reserves competition. Only viable argument put forward against it is some of the grounds not coping an as has been said earlier they could play some of the games at other venues perhaps even in regional area's so people could see there club's reserves in action.

Financially as several people have already pointed out the AFL is the biggest sporting code in the country they are turning massive profits so expense should not be any issue.

Bring on a reserves competition I say!

Whats wrong with watching a game in the mud? That is footy its a winter sport, * watching this generic chip it around with the beautiful skills crap i love an old fashioned slog in crap conditions where the blokes grab it and just bomb it forward and there all covered in crap

Whats wrong with watching a game in the mud? That is footy its a winter sport, **** watching this generic chip it around with the beautiful skills crap i love an old fashioned slog in crap conditions where the blokes grab it and just bomb it forward and there all covered in crap

Sadly those days are long gone, much like the curtain raiser and the sprint to the centre of the MCG after the second siren.

I think at this point most teams have a reserves team, and the few that don't, have an affiliate. But we'll never see the traditional curtain raiser again. A shame, because I can tell you right now, even as an Essendon supporter, I'll be making an effort to go watch Richmond at Punt Road then go to the G to watch the seniors this year. Will try the same with Essendon when the Windy Hill games align.

An AFL reserves competition is utterly financially viable.

Look at the accounts of the NT Thunder as an example of what it costs to send a team around the country - it's not that much.

Increasing list sizes by 10, allocate an extra (min wage*10) salary cap, line up some suburban grounds and we're there.

Back