Brisbane/Fitzroy relationship discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I see positives here:

1: If the poll has gone wrong, the club can review it now and make sure its right for the far more important jumper vote later in the year.

2: It might be a hybrid jumper but the FFC logo is getting a run this year, and it still looks a lot better then the paddle pop.

The vote results look strange, but that's what has happened, lets move on and and look forward to the real vote later in the year.

I agree with most of the sentiments here. Some mistakes were made, but lets not blow them out of proportion of what is overwhelmingly a great initiative.

I would say the overwhelming majority of Victorian Lions supporters want the Club to keep doing this kind of stuff. Sure learn from the mistakes. But don't be discouraged from attempting future initiatives.

I mean how great will it be to see that famous FFC monogram hit the field again later this year? The 2003 game against Collingwood was one of the greatest non-grand final memories I have from the Club. And the 2007 (?) win against West Coast against the odds over there wearing the 1996 jumper was another great memory.

Sure we are not Fitzroy, but we represent their spirit in the AFL as we also represent the Bears and obviously the modern Brisbane Lions in general. So it is great to see these kind of things. Our combined history means a lot to me and my extended family of Lions supporters.

Pretty sure I have the concept well grasped. People submit their opinion and in the process implicitly authorize their opinion being discussed.

This just reiterates my suspicion that some people will just downplay every good initiative and hammer them on the mistakes. Why should an initiative be downplayed just because it wasn't "a total surprise"?

In the real world (Ill refer to the corporate world) this is the way of life. It may sound harsh, but its reality. Management are quick to praise good work but just as quick to focus on "mistakes" or areas for improvement.

They are not forgotten about or ignored, otherwise the same mistakes will be made and the business, will suffer, fall into decline and lose the trust of its key stakeholders.

Football Clubs, are no different- they are run like a business these days- with an X - Factor (passion and emotion). The stakeholders are the fans...

Its up to the club to harness all feedback (positive, neutral or negative) take it all on board and hopefully rectify areas of improvement.

I certainly think a 'members only voting system' would have eradicated much of the issues, emotion and debate on this thread. A good way of also selling the benefits of buying a membership as well. Someone else mentioned a focus group on this thread- a great way to hopefully assist the club in meeting their objectives regarding the overall 'Brisbane/Fitzroy Relationship'.

Whilst a members vote might have worked better, there is the chance that the club wanted the vote open so that some of the Fitzroy folk who might not be members would get a say, trying to get a bit of involvement and encourage those people to come back to the club, especially as it is a one of jumper. It would certainly be good to see some members only voting on some things to push the 'benefits of being a member' envelope a bit though. Even soemthing like having 3 designs for the members polo and letting the people do a vote on it would be good, doesn't need to be ground breaking things to start with.

Imagine the increase in membership numbers next season if we announced at the end of this year that there will be a members only vote on the home and away jumpers for 2013!

Imagine the increase in membership numbers next season if we announced at the end of this year that there will be a members only vote on the home and away jumpers for 2013!

Unfortunately that wouldn't leave enough time to get it done. If we are going to be polled on a new main jumper for 2013 it would have to get going in the next couple of months.

Unfortunately that wouldn't leave enough time to get it done. If we are going to be polled on a new main jumper for 2013 it would have to get going in the next couple of months.

Not enough time for printing/distribution of the new jumper? Hmmm bummer, do you think if they announced this next week our membership numbers would shoot up? Probably less effective then at the start of a season but better than nothing?

Not enough time for printing/distribution of the new jumper?

Probably enough time for printing and distribution but there are apparently a whole lot of other approval processes they have to go through with the AFL as well.

Hmmm bummer, do you think if they announced this next week our membership numbers would shoot up? Probably less effective then at the start of a season but better than nothing?

I don't think there would be a massive increase, but for that group of supporters for who the jumper change was literally the difference between membership and not, they'd likely jump back on.

As a member of 17 years I’m not really fussed on voting for a jumper, I think it might be too divisive, and may result in an inferior choice getting up.

I want people at the club to make a really well thought out and tasteful decision that balances as best they can all the issues.

I’d love to read a report showing how much care and attention the club put into making the choice.

After than I’d just like everyone to get on with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think the jumper will ever get changed back? Do the kids like the new Lion?

My boys aged 11 & 13 like the new Lion, both received a new guernsey for Christmas.... me I'm the traditionalist. However if it reverts back and they get another new one for Christmas, they would be equally happy !!! ( just gets back to cost )

Whilst a members vote might have worked better, there is the chance that the club wanted the vote open so that some of the Fitzroy folk who might not be members would get a say, trying to get a bit of involvement and encourage those people to come back to the club, especially as it is a one of jumper. It would certainly be good to see some members only voting on some things to push the 'benefits of being a member' envelope a bit though. Even soemthing like having 3 designs for the members polo and letting the people do a vote on it would be good, doesn't need to be ground breaking things to start with.

That's a really good point re: members voting. It would certainly add value & some sense of ownership to having a full membership. Something as simple as having a say in the members polo design would be fantastic.

As a member of 17 years I’m not really fussed on voting for a jumper, I think it might be too divisive, and may result in an inferior choice getting up.

I want people at the club to make a really well thought out and tasteful decision that balances as best they can all the issues.

I’d love to read a report showing how much care and attention the club put into making the choice.

I'm not against a vote, but I also agree with what you've written above. People who are in positions power in any organisation should consult with stakeholders, but ultimately, they are often paid significant sums of money to use discretion and make the best decision possible based on good reasoning and good information. The opinion of the masses is not always going to be the best solution, particularly when the stakeholders include various "marginal" groups. Clearly the supporter-base of the Lions is quite different across its demographic, and the club needs to be able to consider the needs and desires of those people who supported Fitzroy and the Bears (whose numbers might be more marginal amongst our overall support) in light of the merger agreement and "spirit of the merger" whilst also catering for supporters (who might be larger in numbers) who have joined up since the merger. One hopes that those in positions of power at our club are capable of leading in this manner.

To be honest, though, I'll on,y really be satisfied if the original Lions jumper is returned, with the "red" version being used when necessary in Melbourne and perhaps a "white" version if it is really necessary in clash situations.

Perhaps conducting a member vote might be one form of consultation that the club could conduct, along with consulting the FFC, in orde to inform their reasoning and decision, rather than just being the overall decider of the issue.

After than I’d just like everyone to get on with it.

I agree with this, I think a lot of the angst with the current jumper is we never got a clear statement from the club how the new jumper was decided on, just got told in consultation with members, and no members on here (Some who have a lot of contact with the club) never heard anything about it until the ship had sailed.

Was looking at buying it, but $160 for a heritage 'inspired' guernsey seems a little steep. thought it would be $110-$120.

Either way, the new members charter obliges them to consult.

Which is a good thing.

I think it is entirely appropriate for a Club, that exists for its members, to fully consult with them on major changes that may impact on the underlying fabric of the Club.

I think the change of our jumpers to the Paddlepop hybrid and the change of our logo (because it was guaranteed under the merger agreement) were clearly two major change that members should have been consulted on far more than we were (did anyone ever manage to find that 20 person focus group???).

Obviously the Club needs to be as free as far as possible to make day to day decisions, as well as put forward its major long term strategic policies / visions. But what defines us as the Brisbane Lions football club should not be significantly changed without full consultation of the Club's members.

Here I am thinking about things like:
- what we are - a football club in the AFL
- our name - the Brisbane Lions
- our location / where we play home games - Brisbane / the GABBA
- our colours - Maroon (red), blue and gold
- our jumpers / uniform - Blue shoulders with a large Lion on the mainly Maroon / red jumper - except for minor adjustments like those that happen most years without any fuss
- our song - being based on La Marseillaise in particular, but I would also object to not being consulted to major changes to its current wording
- our historical basis - i.e. our links with / representation of the history of Fitzroy and the Brisbane Bears
- and upholding our remaining merger commitments - i.e. supporting 6 games a year in Melbourne, and upholding the revised logo agreement with FFC

Would it really be OK for the Board to significantly change any of these things without full consultation with the members. For me the answer is clearly no because the things I have listed are the underlying basis for our Club even existing and encompass the reasons for the overwhelming majority of us to be apart of it.

I am glad the Member's Charter basically commits the Club to consulting with its members on these types of issues, but on the other hand.. actions speak louder than words.

So come on Angus (and the Board) - fulfil your destiny as the man who could go down in history as completing the foundation of rebuilding our Club. You can leave the logo situation as it is if you want to (given the Club came to an agreement with FFC on the use of dual logos) - but please give members a vote on our jumpers for 2013!!!

- our song - being based on La Marseillaise in particular, but I would also object to not being consulted to major changes to its current wording

I too would object to the changing of the song without consultation, but it has been somewhat of a bugbear of mine for a while now, not the wording - just the synthasized tune is (for the want of a better word) pox, especially compared to the originals

Fitzroy
[YOUTUBE]FelcMW5fLN0[/YOUTUBE]

France
[YOUTUBE]jRjBE19bwHI[/YOUTUBE]

Current
[YOUTUBE]i2OnZG6VnJk[/YOUTUBE]

I too would object to the changing of the song without consultation, but it has been somewhat of a bugbear of mine for a while now, not the wording - just the synthasized tune is (for the want of a better word) pox, especially compared to the originals

Oh royboy I am soooooooo with you.

The words are fine but the current song just has no character or soul.

I so want us to have a cool oldschool song like some of the Melbourne clubs. They are the best.

There is a guy in Brisbane who has a zillion ARIA awards and nominations for producer of the year, is a huge Lions fan and would be perfect for it.

Next year we go back to an honest tradition based jumper and club song. We need to make this happen!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back