Bruce Springsteen

Remove this Banner Ad

Jake joined Lisa Mitchell a couple of weeks ago when he was in Oz at the Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA) awards night to do a very pared back version of Sheppard's Geronimo.

Ford Fairlane and others - the infamous 1995 interview that Molly did with the Boss that was supposed to last 15 minutes but Molly pushed it to 90 minutes. It's here in full.

I found this in late 2006 and it was split up over 6 videos. But it only lasted 2 or 3 months before it was pulled down by Bruce's management.

Last edited:
I've become a bit hooked on this the last few days. It shows a great song is a great song in any language and a great big band does it justice. From the Rock in Rio Festival in September last year.

I love that he went through the trouble of learning a song in Portuguese, and just days before that, he sang Victor Jara in Chile - Jara was one of the many people who were killed by Pinochet's brutal military dictatorship so it was a nice touch by the boss.

As for Raul Seixas, he's one of the biggest names in Brazilian rock. He was a character, a very funny guy who had some brilliant songs, but I think his songs lose much of its appeal if you don't speak Portuguese, as his lyrics were particularly brilliant. He mocked anyone and everyone. Some of his lyrics are quite beautiful while others are simply hilarious, even if he wasn't technically brilliant.

Sociedade Alternativa is one of his most famous songs. In English, it would be "Alternative Society", an utopia where you "do what you want". Some say it was a veiled criticism of the military dictatorship in Brazil at the time.

Bruce's version is actually a bit different from the original, but I think he did a great job with it. Here's the original if anyone is interested:

The crowd loved it - not many international artists come to Brazil and sing a song in Portuguese. I was there in his Rock in Rio concert and it was brilliant. I know a lot of people who went that night because of John Mayer (I know, I know...) but in the end had to agree that the Boss was by far the best of the night. Actually, his gig was widely considered the best of the entire festival that year. Some of my friends who knew very little of his songs became fans after watching his show on tv.

And just in case anyone is interested in listening a bit more of Raul Seixas, here are a couple of my favourites:

How was his pronunciation etc diegodcg? Did it sound odd?
A little bit mate, his pronunciation wasn't perfect but I don't think people really cared much. Portuguese is a difficult language, most of us were just really amazed that he was singing a Brazilian song.

I forgot to mention: my only disappointment about Bruce's Rock in Rio concert was that he didn't play The River. I was very much looking forward to it as it was in the setlists of most of his previous concerts in that tour and it's one of my favorite songs.

I'd also have loved to hear Lost in the Flood, but I don't think he plays it these days. This is however quite possibly my favorite video on youtube:

I forgot to mention: my only disappointment about Bruce's Rock in Rio concert was that he didn't play The River. I was very much looking forward to it as it was in the setlists of most of his previous concerts in that tour and it's one of my favorite songs.

I'd also have loved to hear Lost in the Flood, but I don't think he plays it these days. This is however quite possibly my favorite video on youtube:

You have found a friend in Cruyff14 and Ford Fairlane with your love of Lost in the Flood. He played it 4 times in 2014 - once in Melbourne at AAMI Park and 3 times in 2013 once at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne (where they play the Australian Open tennis). Cruyffy wrote about it both times and i'm sure he will link his posts.

You can go to a couple of websites to check his set lists. This one you can go to all musicians, but this link has bar graph of how many times each song has been played and if you click on the link it gives you the when and where played each performance.

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html
Because it's a little played song click on Albums, then when they come up click on Greetings from Asburby Park, it comes up with the number of times each song from that Album has been played. Click on Lost in the Flood and you get a timeline chart of how many times in which years he performed them. Then click on the year to see when and where in that year he performed that song.

You have found a friend in Cruyff14 and Ford Fairlane with your love of Lost in the Flood. He played it 4 times in 2014 - once in Melbourne at AAMI Park and 3 times in 2013 once at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne (where they play the Australian Open tennis). Cruyffy wrote about it both times and i'm sure he will link his posts.

You can go to a couple of websites to check his set lists. This one you can go to all musicians, but this link has bar graph of how many times each song has been played and if you click on the link it gives you the when and where played each performance.

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html
Because it's a little played song click on Albums, then when they come up click on Greetings from Asburby Park, it comes up with the number of times each song from that Album has been played. Click on Lost in the Flood and you get a timeline chart of how many times in which years he performed them. Then click on the year to see when and where in that year he performed that song.
Thanks. Looking at that list, the first thing that springs to mind is that I can't possibly conceive the idea of a Bruce concert without Thunder Road! I'd have expected it to be number 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here we go -

Lost in the Flood has an unbelievably haunting feel to it throughout. Crashing drums and the feedback from the guitar (which literally sends shivers up my spine) at the beginning, come to a grinding halt that leave a deafening silence, even if it is extremely brief.

There's a sense of intrigue to what is to come. Both the minor and major chords on the piano increase the tension. Things are settled for the first two verses. But, once the band come in, everything is interspersing to show off what a well oiled machine Bruce Springsteen has created. With the backing of The E-Street Band, Flood's power gets turned all the way up to 11 and there is no turning back from there.

Garry Tallent's bass provides the backbone in which the others bounce off. Roy makes his work on the piano sound so effortless even though you can hear the intensity and conviction in each note. Max's work on the drum kit at times is relentless as it is powerful. The chilling organ adds to the intensity the song demands.

In a way, the music mirrors the lyrics. The piano leads us through the first quarter of the song paired only with Bruce's vocal. We are yet to determine the severity of the story Flood tells. Kind of like setting the scene, a prelude somewhat, to what is to follow.

Once we're introduced to the blaze-and-noise boy (kickass name for a character if ever I've heard it) however, the drums come crashing in, the tempo rises and everybody is jamming, and Bruce takes it up a notch with his vocal work.

The music is now starting to match the lyrics even more so. From "riding head first into a hurricane", you can feel the force behind the music. The constant snap the snare drum is producing, and the crashing cymbals, it's all starting to rise. You can imagine the fire he’s got sprinting through his veins as he is pounding through this second half of the song. The intensity is simmering through the first part of the song, but by the time the band is in, it has reached boiling point and Flood swallows you up in its unrelenting force, and leaves nobody to spare. Bruce's solo can be comparative to the lyrics. As he unleashes his fury on that telecaster, it sort of signifies the chaos that has ensued. This is like the eruption, it's all boiled over and that scorching solo is telling us what happened. Roy's final notes end the song just like it begins, except the last note is authoritative. It signifies the end, that there will be no more.

Bruce has managed to create many music subtleties which may go unnoticed to many. If you listen, you can hear Roy's piano replicate the sound of gunfire when Bruce belts out "And now the whiz-bang gang from uptown, they're shootin' up the street". Max has "five quick shots" after the cops are coming up for air covered when he bashes his snare to copy to represent the five shots. And we can't forget the rumbling of his floor toms when "his body hit the street with such a beautiful thud." It's subtle, and a marvelous thing to behold once you pay attention to it.

The imagery in Flood is stark, powerful, intense, confronting and raw. It is the song which, for me, where his imagery reaches it summit The whole last verse pretty much plays out an epic gun fight between the cops, a gang, "that cat from the Bronx" and "some kid" who apparently comes blasting around a corner.

From ankles which are caked in mud, to the aforementioned body that hits the street with such a beautiful thud, and riding head first into a hurricane (that blaze-and-noise boy sure is one crazy cat), to the boy laying "on the street holding his leg, screaming something in Spanish". Even something so simple as "he leans on the hood telling racing stories" has the ability to conjure up a vivid image.

That last verse is pure poetry. Absolutely flawless songwriting.

Bruce has managed to create these powerful, detailed images which can be imprinted on our mind, and, I for one, am grateful for that when they are as great these.

diegodcg sorry the other website I use, there actually are a few more to check Bruce's set list, but this one is this great fan forum from Denmark.
http://www.greasylake.org/home.php

If you have never visited it click on - reference - then on the left hand side - Lyrics and Chords - click on the letter you want and then the song - and when that loads up click on the live history tab above the words of the song. It then shows you the first 3 known live performances and the last 3, and if you click the link it will show you all known live performances.

If you want to read stuff from some real hard core fans ie the ones that I met in Oz in 2013 and 2014 who now are up to about 392 shows all around the world, click on community, message boards, and then go to The Circuit forum. When Bruce was in Oz fans from New Jersey would be up at 4am following the set list or people in Europe at about 10am doing the same thing as tweets came out about the songs and the set list.

Last edited:
Thanks. Looking at that list, the first thing that springs to mind is that I can't possibly conceive the idea of a Bruce concert without Thunder Road! I'd have expected it to be number 1.

He dropped it in a reasonable amount in the Born in the USA tour and The Rising Tour

He still plays food. Did it at Melbourne 2.

I'll show you a few good Flood clips.

Absolutely powerhouse song.

Cruyffy didnt you go to all 3 Rod Laver Arena shows in 2013 and both AAMI Park shows in 2014? If so you would have seen it at RL3 and AAMI 2

Here we go -

Lost in the Flood has an unbelievably haunting feel to it throughout. Crashing drums and the feedback from the guitar (which literally sends shivers up my spine) at the beginning, come to a grinding halt that leave a deafening silence, even if it is extremely brief.

There's a sense of intrigue to what is to come. Both the minor and major chords on the piano increase the tension. Things are settled for the first two verses. But, once the band come in, everything is interspersing to show off what a well oiled machine Bruce Springsteen has created. With the backing of The E-Street Band, Flood's power gets turned all the way up to 11 and there is no turning back from there.

Garry Tallent's bass provides the backbone in which the others bounce off. Roy makes his work on the piano sound so effortless even though you can hear the intensity and conviction in each note. Max's work on the drum kit at times is relentless as it is powerful. The chilling organ adds to the intensity the song demands.

In a way, the music mirrors the lyrics. The piano leads us through the first quarter of the song paired only with Bruce's vocal. We are yet to determine the severity of the story Flood tells. Kind of like setting the scene, a prelude somewhat, to what is to follow.

Once we're introduced to the blaze-and-noise boy (kickass name for a character if ever I've heard it) however, the drums come crashing in, the tempo rises and everybody is jamming, and Bruce takes it up a notch with his vocal work.

The music is now starting to match the lyrics even more so. From "riding head first into a hurricane", you can feel the force behind the music. The constant snap the snare drum is producing, and the crashing cymbals, it's all starting to rise. You can imagine the fire he’s got sprinting through his veins as he is pounding through this second half of the song. The intensity is simmering through the first part of the song, but by the time the band is in, it has reached boiling point and Flood swallows you up in its unrelenting force, and leaves nobody to spare. Bruce's solo can be comparative to the lyrics. As he unleashes his fury on that telecaster, it sort of signifies the chaos that has ensued. This is like the eruption, it's all boiled over and that scorching solo is telling us what happened. Roy's final notes end the song just like it begins, except the last note is authoritative. It signifies the end, that there will be no more.

Bruce has managed to create many music subtleties which may go unnoticed to many. If you listen, you can hear Roy's piano replicate the sound of gunfire when Bruce belts out "And now the whiz-bang gang from uptown, they're shootin' up the street". Max has "five quick shots" after the cops are coming up for air covered when he bashes his snare to copy to represent the five shots. And we can't forget the rumbling of his floor toms when "his body hit the street with such a beautiful thud." It's subtle, and a marvelous thing to behold once you pay attention to it.

The imagery in Flood is stark, powerful, intense, confronting and raw. It is the song which, for me, where his imagery reaches it summit The whole last verse pretty much plays out an epic gun fight between the cops, a gang, "that cat from the Bronx" and "some kid" who apparently comes blasting around a corner.

From ankles which are caked in mud, to the aforementioned body that hits the street with such a beautiful thud, and riding head first into a hurricane (that blaze-and-noise boy sure is one crazy cat), to the boy laying "on the street holding his leg, screaming something in Spanish". Even something so simple as "he leans on the hood telling racing stories" has the ability to conjure up a vivid image.

That last verse is pure poetry. Absolutely flawless songwriting.

Bruce has managed to create these powerful, detailed images which can be imprinted on our mind, and, I for one, am grateful for that when they are as great these.
This is incredible. I wouldn't be able to describe why I think it's such an amazing song that well even if tried to - not in Portuguese and definitely not in English. :thumbsu:

diegodcg sorry the other website I use, there actually are a few more to check Bruce's set list, but this one is this great fan forum from Denmark.
http://www.greasylake.org/home.php

If you have never visited it click on - reference - then on the left hand side - Lyrics and Chords - click on the letter you want and then the song - and when that loads up click on the live history tab above the words of the song. It then shows you the first 3 known live performances and the last 3, and if you click the link it will show you all known live performances.

If you want to read stuff from some real hard core fans ie the ones that I met in Oz in 2013 and 2014 who now are up to about 392 shows all around the world, click on community, message boards, and then go to The Circuit forum. When Bruce was in Oz fans from New Jersey would be up at 4am following the set list or people in Europe at about 10am doing the same thing as tweets came out about the songs and the set list.

If you guys watched the Rock in Rio concert, you'll have seen the little lad that sings part of Waitin' on a Sunny Day. He's the son of an Italian fan (if I'm not mistaken) who has been to over 100 Bruce concerts. It is amazing the level of fanaticism that the Boss can generate from his fans. Probably because it is just so easy to relate to him and his songs - the effort he went through singing a song in Portuguese, for instance, made people (even those who weren't there because of him) instantly connect with him and stay for the 3hrs+ of his show.

This is incredible. I wouldn't be able to describe why I think it's such an amazing song that well even if tried to - not in Portuguese and definitely not in English. :thumbsu:
That's why I said in my PM, when you get time, you have to read Cruyff's 101 song countdown from the start of this thread, he does the same sort of analysis for every song in his list and the same with UpForGrabs who inspired Cruyff to do it as he did his 100 favourite songs on another music forum. UFG did you ever finish putting your list and analysis on here?

Thunder Road is my favourite Bruce song. I told one of my sisters if I pass away before she does, I want it played at my funeral. But Born To Run is Bruce's signature song. Its the song that he poured the most blood seat and tears into. Whilst it didnt make top 10 as a single, because of the deliberate way it was slowly released around USA, after his first 2 albums had great critical success but did poorly commercially, it was the song that stamped him as a rock n roll / pop genius.

He rides head first into a hurricane and disappears into a point
And there's nothin' left but some blood where the body fell
That is, nothin' left that you could sell
just junk all across the horizon, a real highwayman's farewell

Just stunningly visual apocalyptic writing.

That's why I said in my PM, when you get time, you have to read Cruyff's 101 song countdown from the start of this thread, he does the same sort of analysis for every song in his list and the same with UpForGrabs who inspired Cruyff to do it as he did his 100 favourite songs on another music forum. UFG did you ever finish putting your list and analysis on here?

Nah mate - gave up in the end. Not enough time to do anything much these days :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back