Calm down a little, some perspective and a plan

Remove this Banner Ad

Reluctantly I ended up at a birthday party in Ballarat that night. Luckily I didnt drink too much or I would have gone around and rearranged a few Crows fans faces :mad:

Yes - the Crow's had turned a park on the western outskirts of Ballarat into a tent city

Your concern is misplaced, Staphy; our concern should be for where the club has been.

Now, finally, it is on the right track - building a sustainable future by developing a list and a game style that will take the club to the finals in a couple or three years and a flag thereafter. It is a process that will be painful and it will take time, and the club is way ahead of most of its own supporters in realising it.

Have a look at the club itself... who's there from just a few years ago? Not the list, I'm talking about the admin and footy dept. It's practically a new club. It has fantastic new facilities and a progressive management that is looking forward. Garlo is no dill; he's working to a plan - it's long term, like the coach's - and Dalrymple and JMac are setting themselves for some canny drafting.

Public opinion will lag on the club, its direction and its future, but we who are closest to it should get our heads around the fact that we now support a well managed, professional outfit that is doing everything it can to guarantee future success.

We are not 'a joke of a football club'. Far from it. Yes, our current results stink, and we all hate that. But we are on the right path.

So yeah, calm down, get some perspective and embrace the plan.

How could you put your head in the sand and say my concern is misplaced.
Against the Blues 2 weeks ago 24K turn up to our home game out of that only 6K were Dogs members, that doesn't concern youo_O
With a club like ours we can not afford to have 2 or 3 years like the one now, the bigger clubs can if they lose 10K in members over a couple of years they still will have 40 to 50K signed. For us we have already limped to 29,900 next year we will be lucky to sign 25K. That doesn't concern you.
If you go on our previous drafting over the years then I full faith in the drafting:eek:
But we are on the right path?
What plan?

How could you put your head in the sand and say my concern is misplaced.
Against the Blues 2 weeks ago 24K turn up to our home game out of that only 6K were Dogs members, that doesn't concern youo_O
With a club like ours we can not afford to have 2 or 3 years like the one now, the bigger clubs can if they lose 10K in members over a couple of years they still will have 40 to 50K signed. For us we have already limped to 29,900 next year we will be lucky to sign 25K. That doesn't concern you.
If you go on our previous drafting over the years then I full faith in the drafting:eek:
But we are on the right path?
What plan?

Sorry, Staphy, please re-read my post. Hopefully you'll see that I agree with you. My point is that the damage is done. Was done years ago. The club is in the process of fixing what was broken and, although many aren't seeing it yet, is heading in a good direction. Check this out, if you can be bothered - the diagram says it all really, but worth a read - http://www.expressyourselftosuccess...r-team-use-the-j-curve-as-a-tool-for-success/
Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn have all done it in recent years. Richmond and Essendon are doing it now.

My head is not in the sand. I am very aware that we could face a membership of 25k, or worse, next year. If we do, it will be because of decisions made years ago, by a group that has now largely moved on. Moaning about it won't fix it.

The only way out of the current mess is to do exactly what the club is doing, being ruthless, both on and off the field, and planning for a successful future. The new Bulldogs have to forge a new place in the competition and a new place in the hearts and minds of supporters, especially the people of the west - 'The Western Front' campaign is a fair indicator of the thinking around that. Macca's build-from-the-contest-out teaching strategy is another. Both will take time to bite.

The future has to be about shaking off the old and embracing the new. Difficult, I know, when most if us weren't even thought of the last time the club had success, and when failure is seemingly ingrained in our DNA. We are on the right path and we're heading for exciting times - if we can just hang on.

I think most fans understand we are in a transitional phase and we are blooding new players.
We would just like a competitive effort to be shown. Losing games is one thing, but losing games the way we have in the last few weeks is deflating for supporters.
No wonder crowds are dropping, no-one wants to be there when the team is playing like this.
We need to show some competitive effort, even if we lose.
There is not much to hang our hats on at the moment.

KM

Will Smorgo leave the place in a worse position than when he started?

I think the answer may be - yes unfortunately. I really do worry for our future. If we went through our list we have some poor players on it, our attendance's are dreadful, there is a lack of fight and spark. It really is not a great position. Garlick still is not proven in his ability to lead, our coach has qeustion marks as does his support staff, recuruiting is and has been a shambles.

I am trying to find positives - and I am struggling.

If we have to bottom out then we should do it properly.

Trade players like Roughy, Minson, Jones, Grant and the like. Get some draft choices for them and totally rebuild. I see so many times here that our culture is wrong - well change it. Do a Blighty and be bold:
- Cross - sorry mate too slow its over.
- Coons - you're spent mate.
- Boydy - 50% of the time linkman in the outer is better off having it - at least he wont give it to the opposition.
- Gilbs - spent 2 years ago - face it.

I we were young and really were blooding good youngsters and getting tthe poundings that we are then OK but we aren't. Really worried.

Trade players like Roughy, Minson, Jones, Grant and the like. Get some draft choices for them and totally rebuild. I see so many times here that our culture is wrong - well change it. Do a Blighty and be bold:
Sorry, but you want to trade away 2 out of our 3 actual ruckman (I don't count Cordy as a ruck, does better as a forward) and leave one guy who has come off the rookie list? Surely you jest?

There is list management, and then there is stupidity.

Settle guys. You've done really well with ex Geelong coaches. Goggin, Hampshire, now McCarthy.:)

To be serious, McCarthy knows his stuff and it takes time to regenerate with your own ideas. We came close to sacking Thompson because it took him so long to get us producing consistently. Essendon got belted many times in Sheedy's early coaching days. The wheel will turn.

Sorry, Staphy, please re-read my post. Hopefully you'll see that I agree with you. My point is that the damage is done. Was done years ago. The club is in the process of fixing what was broken and, although many aren't seeing it yet, is heading in a good direction. Check this out, if you can be bothered - the diagram says it all really, but worth a read - http://www.expressyourselftosuccess...r-team-use-the-j-curve-as-a-tool-for-success/
Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn have all done it in recent years. Richmond and Essendon are doing it now.

My head is not in the sand. I am very aware that we could face a membership of 25k, or worse, next year. If we do, it will be because of decisions made years ago, by a group that has now largely moved on. Moaning about it won't fix it.

The only way out of the current mess is to do exactly what the club is doing, being ruthless, both on and off the field, and planning for a successful future. The new Bulldogs have to forge a new place in the competition and a new place in the hearts and minds of supporters, especially the people of the west - 'The Western Front' campaign is a fair indicator of the thinking around that. Macca's build-from-the-contest-out teaching strategy is another. Both will take time to bite.

The future has to be about shaking off the old and embracing the new. Difficult, I know, when most if us weren't even thought of the last time the club had success, and when failure is seemingly ingrained in our DNA. We are on the right path and we're heading for exciting times - if we can just hang on.
Firstly the "J" curve is used by spin doctors and marketers to prove any point they want. Often used in my industry to demonstrate staff and customer satisfaction.

Secondly, the problem we have is that we will most likely struggle on field for a few years. This will lead to a loss in revenue that will most likely lead to an increase in debt. When we have a list that can compete at the top level we are so hamstrung by debt that we can't compete with the top clubs in football dept spending. This then turns the "J" curve into a "U" curve where we can't get above the point we started from.

Of course if this repeats as history tells us it does then the "U" curve becomes a frekn "O" curve and we go round in circles.

The club is in the process of fixing what was broken and, although many aren't seeing it yet, is heading in a good direction.

A broke club with no supporters, limited sponsors and severe history of failure has seen the light and now
are headed in a good direction'. If we do reach our destination before we are forced to merge we wont have any members left.

I am afraid that the chances of us seeing out 4 to 5 years are very very low.

A broke club with no supporters, limited sponsors and severe history of failure has seen the light and now
are headed in a good direction'. If we do reach our destination before we are forced to merge we wont have any members left.

Things were looking worse in 89 and we came back to have some success

Those who have little faith should not wait out the 4 or 5 years but go now and support another team, or no team. Those who choose to support the club's decisions will one day be rewarded.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/bulldogs-show-faith-in-youth/story-e6frexx0-1226440670721

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those who have little faith should not wait out the 4 or 5 years but go now and support another team, or no team. Those who choose to support the club's decisions will one day be rewarded.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/bulldogs-show-faith-in-youth/story-e6frexx0-1226440670721

Very well said Curly.

If it's too hard to support the team, then bugger off. Instead of whinging, put the membership in the microwave and not worry about the doggies.

We'll survive without you.

Firstly the "J" curve is used by spin doctors and marketers to prove any point they want. Often used in my industry to demonstrate staff and customer satisfaction.

Secondly, the problem we have is that we will most likely struggle on field for a few years. This will lead to a loss in revenue that will most likely lead to an increase in debt. When we have a list that can compete at the top level we are so hamstrung by debt that we can't compete with the top clubs in football dept spending. This then turns the "J" curve into a "U" curve where we can't get above the point we started from.

Of course if this repeats as history tells us it does then the "U" curve becomes a frekn "O" curve and we go round in circles.

Your industry? Perhaps you are a plumber, in which case you're confusing the J curve with the S bend, which is where you see the club headed.

Like it or not, we are where we are. We can grizzle and look back fondly or we can support our club. Part of that is gaining an understanding of what it is actually doing. Yeah, I know, it's losing games, and its potentially losing support, but that is in the short term. Long term is a different story - read what Granty had to say in the press today - there is a plan and it is being executed, step by step. We are going to stay the Western Bulldogs (unfortunately) so that we can cast our net over the whole west of Melbourne, a huge area full of many people who don't support any team at all. They should be Bulldogs. The planning has already started and so has the work. The results are some time off, on and off the field, but they will come.

It's a bit like that old story about turning a supertanker - you throw the wheel over and then just wait... for a long time. Our club threw the wheel over when it sacked Acker, I reckon. Then Rocket. We're still waiting, but we're committed to a new course.

Something else to realise. The AFL will not let the Bulldogs fail. They now have an 18 team comp, which is vital to the media revenue. They have been determined to establish beach-head teams in two of the major growth areas in the country - the Gold Coast and Western Sydney. They have to have a presence in both of these huge markets. Does anybody seriously think that they would let the Bulldogs fail in a market that is just as important as either of these new ones? We are the only team in the west. The doggies are here to stay and we will have lots of help, if we need it. Looking at it strategically, it seems to me that the AFL are quite comfortable with the way Smorgon, Alberti, Garlick, Grant, McCartney and co. are going about executing their plan to make our team a powerhouse once more.

Bring on the draft, that's the next step; a bunch of gun pups will kick everything along.

Your industry? Perhaps you are a plumber, in which case you're confusing the J curve with the S bend, which is where you see the club headed.

Like it or not, we are where we are. We can grizzle and look back fondly or we can support our club. Part of that is gaining an understanding of what it is actually doing. Yeah, I know, it's losing games, and its potentially losing support, but that is in the short term. Long term is a different story - read what Granty had to say in the press today - there is a plan and it is being executed, step by step. We are going to stay the Western Bulldogs (unfortunately) so that we can cast our net over the whole west of Melbourne, a huge area full of many people who don't support any team at all. They should be Bulldogs. The planning has already started and so has the work. The results are some time off, on and off the field, but they will come.

It's a bit like that old story about turning a supertanker - you throw the wheel over and then just wait... for a long time. Our club threw the wheel over when it sacked Acker, I reckon. Then Rocket. We're still waiting, but we're committed to a new course.

Something else to realise. The AFL will not let the Bulldogs fail. They now have an 18 team comp, which is vital to the media revenue. They have been determined to establish beach-head teams in two of the major growth areas in the country - the Gold Coast and Western Sydney. They have to have a presence in both of these huge markets. Does anybody seriously think that they would let the Bulldogs fail in a market that is just as important as either of these new ones? We are the only team in the west. The doggies are here to stay and we will have lots of help, if we need it. Looking at it strategically, it seems to me that the AFL are quite comfortable with the way Smorgon, Alberti, Garlick, Grant, McCartney and co. are going about executing their plan to make our team a powerhouse once more.

Bring on the draft, that's the next step; a bunch of gun pups will kick everything along.
theres no problem then, we have a plan ....Good post Boldrick.

And by the way, the AFL will not let the bulldogs fail while it suites them and thankfully it does at the moment. If you think the AFL give 2 hoots about us being succesful then you are kidding yourself. Did you notice that Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond Essensdon Hawthorn and Geelong played there own little round robin comp at the start of the season. All on prime time TV. Imagine how that would have boosted membership and sponsorship. The AFL don't even pretend this is a competition anymore and as long as they throw us a biscuit at the end of the year it's even stevens as far as their concerned.

Have heard from Higgins, and now Christ Grant about Jordan Roughead as a CHB. Mccartney has expressed his jizz for the idea previously too. IMO he did an ok job but it was on Kosi, who has a similar running gate to him.
What does everyone think of Roughy at CHB?

What does everyone think of Roughy at CHB?

Not the first time we've tried it, but I'm still a little uncertain about it.

Played on Mitch Clark early in the season and had the better of that duel before Clark got subbed off with an injury. I'm a little worried about his pace though, he played on Merrett for a few minutes against Brisbane and he got beaten on the lead a couple of times as he couldn't stay with Merrett (who is quite quick).

It's good that he has the versatility to back their if need be, but I think he will only be able to play there on certain match-ups. There is more and more 200cm+ forwards coming into the league now, so a 200cm+ guy playing down back could be very handy in a few seasons.

Yeah, now that I think about it, tassiedog, you're probably right. I mean, what would Chris Grant know anyway?
You don't get it. The club comes out and tells us they have a plan and you shoot a load. Give me a break. I'm not saying we don't have a plan, but heres some news for you, we always have.

The club comes out and states we will stay the Western Bulldogs so they "can cast a net" and you rub one out. Heres the rub sunshine, that plan started 15 years ago. I agreed with the change then and I still support it but to suggest it will be a saviour of the club and will launch us to great sustained success is just noncence. It will help us survuve at best.

You need to understand, this isn't a competition anymore and it hasn't been for along time. The AFL don't even pretend it isnow. It's an entertainment industry and the odds are staked very heavily against us for any real success.

You need to understand, this isn't a competition anymore and it hasn't been for along time. The AFL don't even pretend it isnow. It's an entertainment industry and the odds are staked very heavily against us for any real success.
I have to agree with this :(.

I’ve just received my copy of the latest ‘The Bulldog’ magazine. It mainly focuses on our great legend Charlie Sutton and one article in particular on p25 by our resident scribe Bob Murphy allowed me to revisit the reasons for what I am in this time of deprivation: a Bulldogs Supporter of over 50 years.
One could argue that it is a misfortune to be a supporter of a club that has had so little success and many times I’ve said to myself and others that I’d had enough and that I was going to free up my weekends and find other pursuits. Recently, I’ve said to my eldest son who has followed in my footsteps that I wouldn’t hold it against him if he wanted to abandon following the team and do something else because there were many frustrating days, months and years ahead as a Bulldogs supporter.
The fact is however, that the club is part of my DNA. I may curse, scream and condemn but I could never walk away. The magazine shows us in pictures and words what this club is: not just an unsuccessful team in a specific time period but part of something far more lasting: buildings, earth, memories, names and legends.
When I read about people such as EJ, Charlie, Johnny Schultz, Dougie and stalwarts like Peter Gordon, Irene Chatfield and many others, I come back to the big picture and like you other passionate supporters, I know I have to keep going.
As Bulldogs supporters we are on a journey, a challenging one that will test and frustrate more than it will reward. But we must stay loyal, maintain our hope and realise that we are unique because of who we are and where we’ve come from.
It will be a sad situation if we lose members and support because of our current situation. To those people I say: get out your Bulldog Magazine like I did and renew your faith!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back