Can the saints go the next level in 2009 with this 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Saints have been a good side over the last 4-5 years, but the two thumpings they copped in the Finals last year prooved just how far behind Hawthorn and Geelong they really are...

'04 and '05 was their time, and unfortunatley for them, they blew it...

Bingo.

2004 they had a unique blend of senior players and talented youngsters. They've lost Hamill, Gehrig, Harvey and more.

They will continue to be thereabouts, but they don't have the right mix anymore, and I can't see it happening.

You are wrong and therefore your opinion counts for little.
There are only seven players on this list who could be described as injury prone and this is including Maguire who has only had one major injury with later complications.

Or is it sour grapes after Steven King played more games in a season that he has been able to since 2002.

Only 7? Only? That's massive and still I think you are understating it.
R.Clarke, King, Gardiner, Maguire, Kosi, Ray, L.Fischer, Ball, Dempster.

I am sure there are more but they are the ones that come to mind

I'd defer to a knowledgeable Bulldogs fan (i.e. not Butane) but what are Farren Ray's troubles with injury?

Leigh Fisher has hardly missed a game (whether with the Saints or Casey) since 2006.

Just because a player does a knee (Dempster) does not make him injury prone. Richo is injury prone cause he did a knee once upon a time? Judd? Stevens? I guess Croad is stuffed now - forget his 200+ games.

Bingo.

2004 they had a unique blend of senior players and talented youngsters. They've lost Hamill, Gehrig, Harvey and more.

They will continue to be thereabouts, but they don't have the right mix anymore, and I can't see it happening.

Good point , and while Harvey can probably sort of be replaced, we still don't really have a replacemtn for Gehrig or Hamill. ( Schneider dosn't quite have the physical presence of Hamill ).
Some of us at the Saints board are speculating that, rather than the team listed at the start of this thread some of our more talented backmen may be used in the forward line, otherwise we are hoping that some of our new recruits are ready to go.

Luke Ball has played 18 games nearly every season, and his injury this year due to Kosio Legsplitio was hardly anything to do with being injury prone.
Maguire has never been injury prone and has had one serious injury with later complications. If he is OK he will play. Whether he can play like he used to is a matter of speculation.

As I said , you are wrong.

Luke Ball has played 18 games nearly every season, and his injury this year due to Kosio Legsplitio was hardly anything to do with being injury prone.
Maguire has never been injury prone and has had one serious injury with later complications. If he is OK he will play. Whether he can play like he used to is a matter of speculation.

As I said , you are wrong.

Nope I'm not. Luke Ball played through OP for two years. He might of struggled through 18 games a season but the guy was a shadow of his former self.
First game back what happens? He gets bumped in the head and misses games with concussion.
Ball makes a return and guess what he gets 30 odd stitches in his head but soldiers on. Starts to look good only to do a flying hamstring tear.

The guy does not protect his body well enough when playing and that causes him to get injured. Are you arguing otherwise?

Goose is likely to miss games through reoccuring injuries in 2009. You don't think there is a higher chance of this happening then most?

I'd defer to a knowledgeable Bulldogs fan (i.e. not Butane) but what are Farren Ray's troubles with injury?

Leigh Fisher has hardly missed a game (whether with the Saints or Casey) since 2006.

Just because a player does a knee (Dempster) does not make him injury prone. Richo is injury prone cause he did a knee once upon a time? Judd? Stevens? I guess Croad is stuffed now - forget his 200+ games.

If I listed every player at St Kilda that has done a knee I would have Hayes and Goddard in there as well. Hasn't Dempster had hamstring problems in addition to his knee. Also Schnieder and X.Clarke have also had some soft tissue problems if I'm not mistaken.

Why don't we just name the players that are durable; Reiwoldt, Milne, Montagna and S.Fisher. That's about it.

Gee that must put Carlton a long..... long...way of the pace.

very very far some suggest too far!!

My worry is that we scraped into 4th on the back of WISHING HARVS OFF!! that mental boost could be blamed for getting that extra bit out!!!

Hope not, and i hope the return of Maguire, xav, baker and ball is more than just average!!

we will see... :confused:

If I listed every player at St Kilda that has done a knee I would have Hayes and Goddard in there as well. Hasn't Dempster had hamstring problems in addition to his knee. Also Schnieder and X.Clarke have also had some soft tissue problems if I'm not mistaken.

Why don't we just name the players that are durable; Reiwoldt, Milne, Montagna and S.Fisher. That's about it.

Well I dont know how Geelong will go now that Chapman, and Ablett are injury prone.

At least Steve Johnson won't get injured staggering home :

"VIPs partied last night during an exclusive opening of Geelong's newest bar, but an embarrassing blunder with the liquor licence application will allow no sales of alcohol for more than a month.

Edge, on Geelong's Waterfront, was set to open to the public today but the owners, Geelong Cats footballer Cameron Ling, Lamby's owners Darren Holroyd, Dominic Tripodi, and former teammate David Clarke, were stripped of their liquor permit after they accidentally submitted the venue would hold 70 patrons instead of 700.

They were granted a licence based on 70 people and will now need to lodge a variation to the liquor permit, which will take up to 32 days to finalise."

Actually, even Lingy's probably not stupid enough to let SJ in anyway.

At least Steve Johnson won't get injured staggering home :

"VIPs partied last night during an exclusive opening of Geelong's newest bar, but an embarrassing blunder with the liquor licence application will allow no sales of alcohol for more than a month.

Edge, on Geelong's Waterfront, was set to open to the public today but the owners, Geelong Cats footballer Cameron Ling, Lamby's owners Darren Holroyd, Dominic Tripodi, and former teammate David Clarke, were stripped of their liquor permit after they accidentally submitted the venue would hold 70 patrons instead of 700.

They were granted a licence based on 70 people and will now need to lodge a variation to the liquor permit, which will take up to 32 days to finalise."

Actually, even Lingy's probably not stupid enough to let SJ in anyway.
low blow, are you just jealous as you have no one as talanted as steve johnson in your side?? glad you could talk about something to do with footy. clown:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I dont know how Geelong will go now that Chapman, and Ablett are injury prone.

Chapman definately is injury prone and I am legitamately worried about how he will go this year.

Ablett's missed 5 games in four years and is coming of consectutive AFLPA MVP awards. So I don't know how you can list him as injury prone. He should be fine.

Geelong's players to worry about would be; Chapman, Rooke, Ottens, Wojcinski & Harley. The rest are genrally very durable.

Please dont start a fight with geelong christ....:eek:

WE WON NAB CUPS 2004, 2008
PRELIMS 2004, 2005,2008

what has geelong done???

Do we really want to go down this line?? :(

Saints list is average at best. Even if they all kept fit this year i cant see them giving Geelong and Hawthorn much trouble.

I'm basically just repeating what has been said many times in this thread but...
St Kilda's top 4 spot relied a lot on other teams winning and losing. They could have finished around the 6-7 mark if things were different in round 22. What i'm saying is that they are no contender with the top 3 teams, rather they are somewhere towards the top of the order for the remaining 13 teams.
St Kilda should only go downhill in the next few years. They are finished
Time to rebuild.

Please dont start a fight with geelong christ....:eek:

WE WON NAB CUPS 2004, 2008
PRELIMS 2004, 2005,2008

what has geelong done???

Do we really want to go down this line?? :(

The things is I'm not having a go, I'm not trying to take a cheap shot. I legitamately think you could be a top four team this year if you can keep your players on the park.

The issue is I don't think you can do that. It's my honest opinion and surely it is understandable even if you don't agree.

I don't think there's much doubt we're a step or two below both Geelong and Hawthorn at present. As are all the other sides, as a matter of fact. Whether that gap can be bridged depends on a number of intangibles, such as whether a few young blokes make the transition to AFL standard consistently, and whether injuries are minimised. It also depends on other sides' improvement/decline. It's impossible to know, really.

My guess is we'll be around 4-8 this year. But my track record in these matters is poor; I didn't predict Port to implode, or Hawthorn as premiers (altthough I had them as a grand finalist).

The pecking order is Geelong/Hawthorn, then you could throw a blanket over about 8-10 sides with claims to finals positions. The Bullies had a charmed run last season, but a poor last 7 games or so, so they've come back to the field a bit. Collingwood, Adelaide, Sydney, North, Richmond, Carlton, Port and Freo should all contend for a finals berth. Oh, and us as well! :D

It could be a great year!

FWIW, I'd prefer and think I'll see a Saints team more like this one:

B: Baker Max R Clarke
HB: S Fisher Goose Gram
C: Montagna Ball Dal Santo
HF: Schnieder Roo Lynch
F: Milne Kosi X Clarke
R: King/MG, Hayes, Goddard

Int: Armitage Blake Ray J Steven

Emg: Gilbert, MG/King, Jones

Back in when right: Dempster

:thumbsu:

FWIW, I'd prefer and think I'll see a Saints team more like this one:

B: Baker Max R Clarke
HB: S Fisher Goose Gram
C: Montagna Ball Dal Santo
HF: Schnieder Roo Lynch
F: Milne Kosi X Clarke
R: King/MG, Hayes, Goddard

Int: Armitage Blake Ray J Steven

Emg: Gilbert, MG/King, Jones

Back in when right: Dempster

:thumbsu:
I like it. And if Goose or Maxy get injured, we'll probably take Dawson off the rookie list, and see how that goes. Would LOVE Lynch on the HF flank. Fisher and Gram will start where you say, with occassional stints in the midfield. Beeg will occassionally drift forward to give the opposition defenders yet another headache.

Good stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back