Can we make the 8 in 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

There is currently one win difference between fifth and eleventh. We are currently sitting two wins outside the top four and two wins outside the bottom four.

Key eight point games against: Dogs, Swans, Geelong
Top four match ups: Brisbane, Port, Pies
Bot four match ups: WC, Hawthorn, Carlton

Three, three, three. Evens.

Sydney play basically just the eight point games for the rest of the year.
Gold Coast play the top five sides and one bottom four side.
Dogs have the same sort of run as us.
Adelaide have a softer run than us.
Essendon have a harder run than us.
Geelong have a tough run.

We need to keep winning obviously but the reality is that Essendon falling out the eight might be our best chance and we play both WC and Carlton who will have our game as their last big effort for the year.

We also have the worst percentage of our point group and that of those above, the 4th worst in the league so we are effectively a game behind due to that. We would need to belt the likes of WC and Hawthorn by hundreds of cumulative points to get into the conversation again there.

Losing those early ones cost us too much.

Realists 1.
Optimists 0.
No, we can't make the 8.
Thread done and dusted.
Sad Fight GIF by Top Rank Boxing

I still maintained a skerrick of hope before today but ultimately most of us knew after round 2 that it wasn't going to be our year, much as we tried to deny it. We had the brief flicker of something with that little win streak but outside of that we've been pretty discombobulated. What makes it sting more is that we've had one of the best runs with injury in our existence but we couldn't make it count.

What makes it sting more is that we've had one of the best runs with injury in our existence but we couldn't make it count
Damn yeah, it does hurt more now that I think about it. I fully expect the injury curse to come back now over the next few years and really harm our chances at a flag 😭

It's really early in the season to say it but if we are to make the 8 I think we have already used up our quota of dropped wins for the year.

Clubs definitely in the hunt for 7th/8th are: us, Tigers, Cats, Dons, Blues, Adelaide. Also, Saints could drop and Cats could and probably will push into the top 6.

Anyhow, games where we play teams competing for 7th/8th become the proverbial '8 point games'.

What's interesting is that our next 4 home games are all 8-pointers - Cats, Tigers, Dons, Blues. Can we win 4/4? If so we are well on our way to make good from our disastrous season start.
We already made the 8.

The bottom 8 :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch us go on a winning streak now to finish 10th. Neither top or bottom eight
Probably better to get the operations and rest for the older lads and blood some new players in.

Fighting to gain a few spots doesn't seem worthwhile. The team needed to show fight when they were in contention not when it's over dead rubber

Remove this Banner Ad

Back