Review Cats squash Giants by 53

Remove this Banner Ad

And somehow everyone thinks blicavs was best on ground even though he comfortably lost the ruck. The only area we lost.
Seems almost as if the thing Preuss did well wasn't actually helpful and the thing Blitz did was. Both coaches awarded maximum votes to Blitz and zero votes to Preuss.

So Preuss went at 39% (12/31) and Blicavs 24% (5/21). Blicavs attended 70 ruck contests for the day, only had five hit outs to advantage and we somehow only lost clearances by one.
And Blitz personally performed 24% of our entire teams clearances

What made Blicavs’ game strong was his follow up from the ruck contests. He was involved in the clearances after contesting the ruck. It more than nullified Preuss’s first hands to the ball.
I thought when they went direct against each other Preuss was winning but blicavs got on top of their 2nd ruckman. Pruess kept them in the game for a while. I still had blicavs as one of the best on the ground

Is that the pick they turned into McKay?
Zach Tuohy + Carlton 2017 2nd Rounder (became pick 22, Lachie Fogarty) was traded for;

Billie Smedts,
Pick 63 2016 draft (became Pick 59, Cameron Polson),
and 2017 1st round pick (went from Carlton + picks to GWS for Caleb Marchbank/Jarrod Picket/GWS 2nd Rounder, and GWS then sent that + a 3rd Rounder to Richmond for Deledio.
Richmond then did a pick swap with Brisbane, and in 2017 it became Pick 15 in the 2017 draft which was used to draft Zac Bailey.

Harry McKay was drafted in 2015 with Pick 10 (originally pick 8) which Carlton got from GWS.
We sent Carlton our 2016 1st Rounder (became pick 17) to Carlton for Lachie Henderson, then Carlton used that + picks 28/77/95 for Pick 8/Jed Lamb/Andrew Phillips/Lachie Plowman/Liam Sumner.

GWS then sent picks 3 (McCluggage) and 17 (Berry) to Brisbane for picks 2 (Taranto), 33 (Drew), 50 (Kirby) and 54 (Tiziani).
Our 2016 1st Rounder we traded for Henderson became Jarrod Berry.

Zach Tuohy + Carlton 2017 2nd Rounder (became pick 22, Lachie Fogarty) was traded for;

Billie Smedts,
Pick 63 2016 draft (became Pick 59, Cameron Polson),
and 2017 1st round pick (went from Carlton + picks to GWS for Caleb Marchbank/Jarrod Picket/GWS 2nd Rounder, and GWS then sent that + a 3rd Rounder to Richmond for Deledio.
Richmond then did a pick swap with Brisbane, and in 2017 it became Pick 15 in the 2017 draft which was used to draft Zac Bailey.

Harry McKay was drafted in 2015 with Pick 10 (originally pick 8) which Carlton got from GWS.
We sent Carlton our 2016 1st Rounder (became pick 17) to Carlton for Lachie Henderson, then Carlton used that + picks 28/77/95 for Pick 8/Jed Lamb/Andrew Phillips/Lachie Plowman/Liam Sumner.

GWS then sent picks 3 (McCluggage) and 17 (Berry) to Brisbane for picks 2 (Taranto), 33 (Drew), 50 (Kirby) and 54 (Tiziani).
Our 2016 1st Rounder we traded for Henderson became Jarrod Berry.
That is a lot of trading

If it more then nullified it we would of won the clearances. but we still lost them. It only partially nullified it.
Seeds, if I want a biased take on Blicavs you will be the first one I call.

Humans all suffer from certain similar biases. Stats do not Suffer from those same biases that all humans do. Stats have their own biases though.
As i said earlier in the thread Blics was beaten in the ruck but was still easily best on ground.
Both can be true it isn't a hard concept.

Also stats by themselves are at best a guide

As i said earlier in the thread Blics was beaten in the ruck but was still easily best on ground.
Both can be true it isn't a hard concept.

Also stats by themselves are at best a guide
Yes it can be true. If he is beaten in the ruck then he probably has to have 40 possessions or kick 7 goals to still be best on ground as he has to dramatically offset the negative.

football judges never appropriately offset the negative. they can see that he lost the ruck but cant compute rationally what that means. How often do you see two attacking mids playing on each other all day and poorly defending each other and both get votes cos one gets 35 possessions and the other has 25 possessions and 3 goals. Neither should get votes but they both do.

this is no different.

he played well overall but wasnt in the top 3 players cos he lost a core part of his game.

Yes it can be true. If he is beaten in the ruck then he probably has to have 40 possessions or kick 7 goals to still be best on ground as he has to dramatically offset the negative.

football judges never appropriately offset the negative. they can see that he lost the ruck but cant compute rationally what that means. How often do you see two attacking mids playing on each other all day and poorly defending each other and both get votes cos one gets 35 possessions and the other has 25 possessions and 3 goals. Neither should get votes but they both do.

this is no different.

he played well overall but wasnt in the top 3 players cos he lost a core part of his game.
Are you saying that both Leon Cameron and Chris Scott are more bias than you in making judgements on value of contribution to a football match?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this is no different.

Oh dear - Blitz didn't need to perform at those numbers but what he did got him 10 coaches votes so that has to count heaps toward the influence he had.
BOG for mine as well.

With respect, your opinion of Blitz overall and this game is starting to look like a couple of other gems like Scott doesn't change his game plan and how you couldn't see what the fuss was about Brad Close......................

Oh dear - Blitz didn't need to perform at those numbers but what he did got him 10 coaches votes so that has to count heaps toward the influence he had.
BOG for mine as well.

With respect, your opinion of Blitz overall and this game is starting to look like a couple of other gems like Scott doesn't change his game plan and how you couldn't see what the fuss was about Brad Close......................

100% agree...Blicavs far and away the best on the ground.

Just have to mention Stengle and Close. What a difference these two have made.

Stengle's class has surprised me. He's a much better player than I gave him credit for.

What do you think about possibility over time of Close becoming a midfield option? Seems to me like he could be a good link player with those characteristics you outline? Robbing forward line but seems like he could be additive to midfield over time?
2 issues - he needs more size to cope, and secondly, you would be robbing an area of the ground where it is really really hard to get the right player.

Midfielders are taught. Forwards are more natural - see Ben Graham…

A nice unfounded assumption with that bolded mark - you may want to be careful when making such statements

I don't know anyone who doesn't want to see Narkle succeed & become that best 22 player we've seen glimpses of - but he's now into his sixth season on an AFL list, and his time will be running out if he doesn't turn things around soon. He has the skills to make it, but it's up to him if those things change or not

As for Dempsey - what sort of ******* comparison is that? Are you serious comparing a kid taken in the rookie draft last year, one who's come from a non-football background who would have been the longest shot to even make his debut this year, and being quiet in his second senior match to that of a player who's been on the list for 6 years? If Dempsey is still have 3 disposal games when he's been on the list for 6 years, come back and ask this question again but for now it's a joke it was even raised

A nice unfounded assumption with that bolded mark - you may want to be careful when making such statements

I don't know anyone who doesn't want to see Narkle succeed & become that best 22 player we've seen glimpses of - but he's now into his sixth season on an AFL list, and his time will be running out if he doesn't turn things around soon. He has the skills to make it, but it's up to him if those things change or not

As for Dempsey - what sort of ******* comparison is that? Are you serious comparing a kid taken in the rookie draft last year, one who's come from a non-football background who would have been the longest shot to even make his debut this year, and being quiet in his second senior match to that of a player who's been on the list for 6 years? If Dempsey is still have 3 disposal games when he's been on the list for 6 years, come back and ask this question again but for now it's a joke it was even raised

I come on this fleetingly and scan over comments quickly
So mistakenly placed you in the group that have written off Narkle as lazy : sorry my mistake
Dempsey was used to point out, that his lack of involvement last week was clearly not due to laziness.

I agree with the reply by BORIS332 on Narkle's problem

I agree that I don't think it's laziness, I think his downfall is concentration. Sometimes he just switches off, like he did on the weekend when Brad Johnson gave him a little bake from the commentary box for just standing still and watching his opponent pick up disposals at will.

We can agree whatever Narkle's issues he is on limited time fix them.

Yes they did take advantage of preuss hit outs because they won the clearances. It was the only area of the game they won. Hitouts and clearances.
They won the clearances 33-34. That's not much of a payoff for winning hitouts 49-25.

He was easily best on ground for me

Clearances , drifted to defence to help , acted as an extra link tall player between the arcs , not to mention his work in the ruck , Worked off his direct opponent multiple times to give an option out of defence etc
All that, and a very commendable commitment to not letting the ball clear the area cleanly when the Giants looked to take possession. His ability to just stay in the contest and force another stoppage (at worst) is a massively important part of his game. Would have been another big consideration in both coaches seeing him as the best player out there on Saturday.

I just don't like the look of a player waltzing in and earning more than champions and stalwarts of the club. Call me a communist, but I just think the best teams are ones where everyone earns evenly and contributes evenly.
If you'd like to be called a communist, you're welcome to it. But in expressing your view here, there's at least one area where you share a similarity with them. You're simply not living in the real world.

The best teams I've observed have never had players earning and contributing evenly. Every successful team has stars who generally contribute more from week to week. And they are subsequently remunerated accordingly.

Even the Tigers of '17-'20, as the quintessential conglomeration of many 'good ordinary' players, had Martin performing stratospherically when it mattered. And players who were obviously paid far more than those chosen from 18 to 22 each week.

Paying all players much the same and anticipating much the same output is a recipe for mediocrity, in my view. Their effort should look quite similar, I agree. But from the annual draft to the weekly ladder, success in footy is clearly all about standing out rather than blending in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back