Review Cats squash Giants by 53

Remove this Banner Ad

All that, and a very commendable commitment to not letting the ball clear the area cleanly when the Giants looked to take possession. His ability to just stay in the contest and force another stoppage (at worst) is a massively important part of his game. Would have been another big consideration in both coaches seeing him as the best player out there on Saturday.

Very astute point you have made their - and that is what i love about Blicavs game as well

Look i know he only played about 30 games for Geel ( and i dont know what happened but he lost all form in the end ) but Trent West for about a season and a half played really good football - and exactly like Blicavs - take the ruck knockout then instantly in the same passage of play become a big mobile utility and often get the ball and kick it Geel way - very beneficial

West around 2011/12 played terrific football

Very astute point you have made their - and that is what i love about Blicavs game as well
How classic was it late on during Saturday's game, where Blitz decided to not even bother going up at the bounce anymore and just focus on winning the ball on the ground? I don't think we lost a centre clearance after he reverted to this method, where he apparently just backed in his ability to hunt the ball or the opposition player after the hit-out had been 'won'.

He truly is an amazing and unique player across the competition, to be able to play so many roles and affect so many contests throughout the one game.

IWWT.

2 issues - he needs more size to cope, and secondly, you would be robbing an area of the ground where it is really really hard to get the right player.

Midfielders are taught. Forwards are more natural - see Ben Graham…
Close is a ripper - we couldn't judge his endurance when played as a pressure forward but now he's playing between the HF and HB lines we can see it's off the charts. He's actually hitting the scoreboard and maintaining his score involvements so what a great move by the MC.

Added bonus is he rarely wastes a possession so we turn it over less when it's in his hands - that can only be a good thing as turning it over between the arcs will lead to opposition scores - especially against the good teams.

5d44a5f665e36.image.jpg

How classic was it late on during Saturday's game, where Blitz decided to not even bother going up at the bounce anymore and just focus on winning the ball on the ground? I don't think we lost a centre clearance after he reverted to this method, where he apparently just backed in his ability to hunt the ball or the opposition player after the hit-out had been 'won'.

He truly is an amazing and unique player across the competition, to be able to play so many roles and affect so many contests throughout the one game.

IWWT.
On reflection I think the reason for his coaches votes was the fact he was basically doing a 2 person job, working day and night shifts, doing his usual utility role as well as taking virtually all the centre bounces that Stanley would have. In truth, watching the game, I thought we missed Stanley in there. It didn't fill me with a warm fuzzy feeling that he reverted to not bothering to contest in the air and instead make his influence felt at ground level. It just made me think we weren't being hurt as much as we could have in an area that we clearly had some issues. When Stanley returns, Blicavs may not rack up huge numbers of clearances and hit outs etc, but he'll be doing a much more important role for the team without having to fill gaps everywhere.

If you'd like to be called a communist, you're welcome to it. But in expressing your view here, there's at least one area where you share a similarity with them. You're simply not living in the real world.

The best teams I've observed have never had players earning and contributing evenly. Every successful team has stars who generally contribute more from week to week. And they are subsequently remunerated accordingly.

Even the Tigers of '17-'20, as the quintessential conglomeration of many 'good ordinary' players, had Martin performing stratospherically when it mattered. And players who were obviously paid far more than those chosen from 18 to 22 each week.

Paying all players much the same and anticipating much the same output is a recipe for mediocrity, in my view. Their effort should look quite similar, I agree. But from the annual draft to the weekly ladder, success in footy is clearly all about standing out rather than blending in.
I know there are always going to be differences. I just don't think it is healthy for a team culture, especially when the player earning the big bucks hasn't earnt his stripes for the club. The fact that Selwood supposedly took a big pay cut to enable us to fit Cameron in our salary structure is just sad and wrong. That's just my view.

On reflection I think the reason for his coaches votes was the fact he was basically doing a 2 person job, working day and night shifts, doing his usual utility role as well as taking virtually all the centre bounces that Stanley would have. In truth, watching the game, I thought we missed Stanley in there. It didn't fill me with a warm fuzzy feeling that he reverted to not bothering to contest in the air and instead make his influence felt at ground level. It just made me think we weren't being hurt as much as we could have in an area that we clearly had some issues. When Stanley returns, Blicavs may not rack up huge numbers of clearances and hit outs etc, but he'll be doing a much more important role for the team without having to fill gaps everywhere.
I agree with this. I wasn't delighted to see him doing it. I too saw the possibility that a better outfit could have massively hurt us when employing this tactic. But it did underline for me how incredible he is at doing everything (and more) that is asked of him in any given game.

And, like you, I still believe we're a better team with both Rhys (in reasonable form, as he has been this year) and Blitz in the line-up. The #46 has so many strengths across the ground that 'wasting' him in the ruck (which is surely one of his lesser skills as a player) is hardly the best use of all the resources at the club's disposal.

I know there are always going to be differences. I just don't think it is healthy for a team culture, especially when the player earning the big bucks hasn't earnt his stripes for the club. The fact that Selwood supposedly took a big pay cut to enable us to fit Cameron in our salary structure is just sad and wrong. That's just my view.
No player of any great merit is going to take a decent pay cut to come to a new club, purely on the basis that he hasn't shown the same output for his latest outfit yet. After all, it's the previous output that got him the opportunity to move to the new team in the first place.

And as for Selsy taking a pay cut to help fit Jez in, that speaks to both the skipper's amazing team ethic and the fact that he already had plenty of dollars in the bank from previous contracts to balance out his commendable sacrifice. Nobody forced him to do it, and I don't see him now phoning in the rest of his career as a result. He did what he thought was best to bring the greatest probability of team success into the future. Which is the very epitome of a great team culture for mine. Give me that over flat payment structures and a team without 'stars' every day of the week.

It was at least 5 years ago...perhaps even longer...Selwood was asked directly whether he was a millionaire..

He responded with "yea"...

I think Joel isn't suffering from his pay cut...I don't believe other players resent Jeremy Cameron's arrival either. We should remember that AFL is an industry, just like say ANZ is part of the banking industry. There is not widespread resentment when ANZ appoint a new COO or a new CFO..its just part of the dynamic...

I have read here some criticism of Cameron being lured to Geelong. When we talk about "elite" then Cameron is well and truly in the conversation. You don't get players like him all that often. Worth every cent IMO...

It was at least 5 years ago...perhaps even longer...Selwood was asked directly whether he was a millionaire..

I think Joel isn't suffering from his pay cut...I don't believe other players resent Jeremy Cameron's arrival either. We should remember that AFL is an industry, just like say ANZ is part of the banking industry. There is not widespread resentment when ANZ appoint a new COO or a new CFO..its just part of the dynamic...

I have read here some criticism of Cameron being lured to Geelong. When we talk about "elite" then Cameron is well and truly in the conversation. You don't get players like him all that often. Worth every cent IMO...
It's really quite hilarious how some suggest the Cats would have been better off not doing the deal. Every club in the comp would have made it happen if he was prepared to join their club. Just because the Giants behaved like imbeciles when push came to shove doesn't change that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's really quite hilarious how some suggest the Cats would have been better off not doing the deal. Every club in the comp would have made it happen if he was prepared to join their club. Just because the Giants behaved like imbeciles when push came to shove doesn't change that.
Well Wells supposedly wanted to walk away from it, so can't be that hilarious. For me it feels like Brian Peake just minus the helicopter. He'll kick some goals, but in the long run it won't benefit us that much. My view is we'd be better off investing in development.

Well Wells supposedly wanted to walk away from it, so can't be that hilarious. For me it feels like Brian Peake just minus the helicopter. He'll kick some goals, but in the long run it won't benefit us that much. My view is we'd be better off investing in development.
Supposedly, indeed. And I don't get the comparison with Peake at all. He was pretty 'meh' for most of his time with us. Anyone who's watched some of Jezza's football since arriving at the Cattery can surely attest that he's a former Coleman medallist and two-time All Australian who still possesses all the attributes that brought him those accolades in the first place.

Anyway, let the discussion roll on. I do find it hilarious and others clearly don't. All good.

Why did they act like Imbeciles - i dont think they did

The GWS Chairman held his ground - remember it was their player - and their champion CHF and as a result they got very good compensation . Just like Geel held its ground re Kelly ( and interestingly W/Coast fans say Geel acted like imbeciles - but they didnt ) and as a result got very compensation for Kelly

Conversely what is totally unfair - is Rich basically got Lynch for nothing - and Hawthorn got pick 18 for Buddy which was way unders

A rumour on a footy forum isn’t much chop though is it?

Was going to ask. How many times has this happened where a coach is sacked or quit after playing us? Happened to Melbourne in 2011 yeah? What others?
Last one was Buckely, I think

Why did they act like Imbeciles - i dont think they did

The GWS Chairman held his ground - remember it was their player - and their champion CHF and as a result they got very good compensation . Just like Geel held its ground re Kelly ( and interestingly W/Coast fans say Geel acted like imbeciles - but they didnt ) and as a result got very compensation for Kelly

Conversely what is totally unfair - is Rich basically got Lynch for nothing - and Hawthorn got pick 18 for Buddy which was way unders
In my view, they acted like imbeciles because they were embarrassed that yet another player they had on their list for many years still wanted to leave. And, unlike Gold Coast with Lynch (who got pick 3 as compo), they didn't like the look of the compo pick offered. So they dragged the whole matter out and showed no good faith in dealing with a player who had given them nearly ten years of his footy career. All for the sake of supposedly not looking like a pushover. Totally disingenuous of them to suggest they were matching, as there was no way in the world Cameron was going back to the club.

By comparison, Kelly had only been around for two years with us (after being overlooked a number of times by everyone else). And so we had no compo pick to even contemplate accepting, despite the fact that he was already a star of the competition. Deriving maximum value from that scenario (when the only deal that could be done to move him on had to involve trading with the Weagles) made perfect sense.

As for Franklin, that was simply a case of the AFL being desperate to get him to Sydney and then having to live with the vagaries of how silly the compo pick looked in that scenario.

I fully accept that some think the Giants playing hardball was 'what you do' and a 'show of strength'. I believe it just made them look weak, insecure and dismissive of a player who'd shown them a fair degree of loyalty over a long period of time.

They're an artificial franchise obsessed with 'how things look', the almighty dollar and the ROI. No wonder they're the AFL's golden child; the family resemblance is startling.

Last edited:

To be fair anyone who bought a house in Melbourne in the 90s should be a millionaire on paper. Not the yardstick you'd want to measure by.

Selwood looking to build the team over a retirement fund though speaks volumes of him as a person

Damn. The Coach Killer Cats strike again.

It's pretty crazy that more coaches have been sacked after loses to Geelong than loses to any other team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back