Toast Celebrating 150 years!

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't help but think that naming Sticks as the second best in our history was a political decision based on his presidency ending. I would have had him at 5th. Not that he wasn't arguably our 2nd greatest captain.

I guess it all comes down to opinions, i would have had Jezza at number 1, Sticks at 2, Nick at 3, Doull at 4 and SOS at 5.

I saw all these players play and i don't think anyone should underestimate how incredibly good Kernahan was as a player and a captain. He performed consistently well even when the team was down. If anything it seems to me his standing as a player is sometimes downgraded by people based on their assessment of his performance as a board member and president.

Jezza was just a freak who could play anywhere at the highest level and do things no other player in the competition could do at the time.

If there was any political reasons for where they placed someone i would suggest it is the reason Jezza was rated fourth and not first. The circumstances surrounding him leaving Carlton left a bad taste in the mouth and a lot of resentment from even the most ardent Jezza admirers.

Jezza was just a freak who could play anywhere at the highest level and do things no other player in the competition could do at the time.

You are so right, it's only the older generation of Blues fans who saw him play who can understand & relate to how good he really was.

I nearly cried twice about Jezza, the first was when that dirty dog Magro jumped in the air and shirt-fronted him, it was one of the most cowardly acts I've seen on the footy field !!

The second was seeing Jezza running around in a Saints jumper, it was near sacrilege that the infighting at the club forced him to leave.

You are so right, it's only the older generation of Blues fans who saw him play who can understand & relate to how good he really was.

I nearly cried twice about Jezza, the first was when that dirty dog Magro jumped in the air and shirt-fronted him, it was one of the most cowardly acts I've seen on the footy field !!

The second was seeing Jezza running around in a Saints jumper, it was near sacrilege that the infighting at the club forced him to leave.

Unfortunately for Jezza he made an error in judgement in assuming that the members would vote for Harris based on the fact he said he would leave if Harris wasn't re-elected as president. He shouldn't have involved himself in club politics.

It was a very sad time in the history of our club that tore many of us apart. It most likely also cost us the chance of emulating Collingwood's feat of winning 4 successive flags. That team was more than capable of winning the flag in 1980, we gave Richmond a free shot at it.

I agree with you Sheik, seeing Jezza in the Saints guernsey was the worst thing i have ever endured as a Carlton supporter.

Jezza for #1 in my opinion. 1979 was football Utopia for a Carlton Supporter. Always requested #25 when I played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jezza for #1 in my opinion. 1979 was football Utopia for a Carlton Supporter. Always requested #25 when I played.

Was at Crown on Saturday night and passed Jezza outside leaving the 150 year dinner.

... Let's just say he was looking a little tired and emotional - I think he'd had a good night !! :D

Apparently the 'future of carlton' segment got cut from the night on saturday as the event went over time. They were meant to talk to current players. I'm guessing this might have been where Gibbs etc was announced.

Apparently the 'future of carlton' segment got cut from the night on saturday as the event went over time. They were meant to talk to current players. I'm guessing this might have been where Gibbs etc was announced.

I'm sure if they really wanted to announce it on Saturday night they would have. Pity they didn't cut Sandra Sully instead, her questions were painful.

Multimedia coming thick and fast now. :thumbsu::)

150th Year Event - Blue Carpet

150th Year Event - Social Club

150th Year Event

333025-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

333030-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

333033-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

332983-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

Sandra and Kate >>>>>> the Carlton boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back