Player Watch Chance Bateman (2000-12)

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to see Changa back for the first time in 2010. Ran hard all day, and was a very good contributor. Kicked a lovely running goal in the third term that was reminiscent of 2008 GF. Unfortunate (and uncharacteristic) that he was pinned by Shannon Byrnes 35m from goal during the crucial last minutes, and appeared to be due to lack of communication from teammates.

stats:
20 possessions (13 kicks, 7 handballs), 5 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal
66 Supercoach points.
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-hawthorn-hawks--chance-bateman

excerpts from Bateman speaking at press conference
http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4742/newsid/91701/default.aspx

Midfielder Chance Bateman said the Hawks would have a light week on the track given their six-day break after the physical loss to Geelong on Monday.
"It was such a bruising game yesterday. We will take it pretty easy early on the week," Bateman said on Tuesday.

Bateman said he and Cyril Rioli had pulled up well from their first games of the season and would benefit from the run.
"I'm not too bad. I'm probably a bit sorer than normal because it was my first hit-out but coming up against Geelong, we expect that," he said.
"They're a great side and they've got a lot of big, strong bodies and it's always a fierce contest between the two sides and it's always a really bruising encounter.
"It was flat out from the start to the finish for myself, Buddy and Junior (Rioli). It was good to get back into a game like that because you have to pick up the pace straight away. All three of us will be better for the run.
"Cyril has pulled up really well. We managed his game time yesterday so he got through unscathed and was pretty exciting at times."

Bateman said he didn't believe the Hawks' use of non-traditional ruckmen was detrimental to the team's structure.
"The position we're in with our ruck stocks, it's just something we have to do and something we've worked on a bit," he said.
"That's just going to be a part of our game until we get another ruck back."

Bateman said recent draftee Sam Grimley could be looked at by the match committee as a back-up option but conceded the 19-year-old was still physically raw.

round 7 v WCE
9 possessions (6 kicks, 3 handballs), 0 tackles.

pretty unforgettable day for Changa, and was reported for head high bump.

Chance Bateman, Hawthorn, has been charged with a Level Three engaging in rough conduct offence against Brad Sheppard, West Coast, during the second quarter of the Round Seven match between Hawthorn and West Coast, played at Subiaco on Saturday May 8, 2010.
In summary, his previous poor record means that his three-game sanction must remain at three games, even with an early plea.
The incident was assessed as reckless conduct (two points), medium impact (two points) and high contact (two points). This is a total of six activation points, resulting in a classification of a Level Three offence, drawing 325 demerit points and a three-match sanction. He has one match suspended within the last three years, increasing the penalty by 10 per cent to a 357.50 points. He also has 68.75 points carried over from within the last 12 months, increasing the penalty to 426.25 points and a four-match sanction. An early plea reduces the penalty by 25 per cent to 319.69 points and a three-match sanction.

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-football-blog/chance-bateman-cops-threeweek-ban/20100510-uo97.html

Chance Bateman, Jarrad Grant challenge bans

HAWK Chance Bateman and Bulldog Jarrad Grant will role the dice at the tribunal tonight in a bid to play this weekend. Bateman and Grant were offered one-match suspensions yesterday by the match review panel.
But both have opted to contest the charges.
Bateman was charged with kneeing Port Adelaide's Paul Stewart in his first game back from a three-match suspension for a high bump in Round 7.
The incident was assessed as reckless, low impact and body contact, drawing 125 demerit points. His poor record and carry-over points mean a guilty plea would not reduce the penalty to less than 100 points and a one-week ban.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t-challenge-bans/story-e6frf9jf-1225876919117

fingers crossed...

i think he has become an important tagger in our team now. He and Sewell are becoming very important stopping players in our team. Sewell shut down coons and Bateman shut down Griffen! With Hodgey Mitch and Burgers... lifting... these 2 guys have been able to concentrate more on shutting down their opponents. I think it has been awesome for us. Bateman has the pace and the annoying nature to get into his opponents head. Love that!!!

Shut down players are very important... if they can do their role... it will go a HUGE WAY to us winning.

Bring on the cats

Bateman for Ablett
Sewell for Selwood

COME ON HAWKS!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think he has become an important tagger in our team now. He and Sewell are becoming very important stopping players in our team. Sewell shut down coons and Bateman shut down Griffen! With Hodgey Mitch and Burgers... lifting... these 2 guys have been able to concentrate more on shutting down their opponents. I think it has been awesome for us. Bateman has the pace and the annoying nature to get into his opponents head. Love that!!!

Shut down players are very important... if they can do their role... it will go a HUGE WAY to us winning.

Bring on the cats

Bateman for Ablett
Sewell for Selwood

COME ON HAWKS!
yeah agreed. i love it how he's living up to the 'unsociable hawks' tag. just needs to make sure it's controlled aggression. As well as playing an important tagging role over the last few weeks, he's been racking up some important touches too.
I reckon Bateman on Ablett sounds good.

Dad's advice leads to milestone

BRETT STUBBS | July 13, 2010 12.01am
Bateman will achieve the honour when he runs out for his 150th game, against Brisbane, in Launceston on Saturday.
But the story could have been so different.
Bateman had just completed his second year at Hawthorn when his sister Candice was killed after falling between the carriages of a train back in Perth in 2001.
He had sought a trade back to West Coast or Fremantle to be close to his grieving family when his father, Paul, intervened.
"When things like that happen you don't think all that rationally and I thought to myself, 'If something like this happens again, I don't want to be caught on the other side of the country, I want to be around my family'," Bateman said yesterday.
full article at http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/07/13/158481_sport-news.html

Round 1 2011 Crows V Hawks AAMI Sat 26th March

Chance played a servicable game, though he is better of much more and though he did some very clever things, he also did some things to forget....he was absolutely mugged by the umpires, when they awarded a free kick to Davis for putting his head into Changa's shin....however, we push on and look forward to him playing a blinder against the Melbourne team on Sunday this week..

Chance's stats were:
8 Kicks, 9 handpasses, 7 marks, 1 tackle. He received 0 freekicks and had 2 awarded against him. He kicked 1 goal.

Round 2 2011 Hawks V Demons MCG Sun 3rd April

Stats:
13 Kicks, 5 handpasses, 4 marks, 1 tackle. He received 0 freekicks and had 2 awarded against him. He kicked 1 goal and 1 point.

Seemed to be let off the chain a little last week, hoping for a big game against the Tigers.

Hoping also not to see any shanked kicks across the body :)

Round 4 2011 Hawks V Eagles Aurora Sat 16th April

Stats:
7 Kicks, 12 handpasses, 3 marks, 3 tackles. He received 2 freekicks and had 1 awarded against him.

Round 5 2011 Hawks V Cats MCG Tue 26th April

Stats:
6 Kicks, 13 handpasses, 3 marks, 5 tackles. He received 1 freekick and had 0 awarded against him. He kicked 3 goals and 1 point.

Round 9 2011 Hawks V Swans SCG Sun 22nd May

Stats:
12 Kicks, 6 handpasses, 5 marks, 4 tackles. He received 2 freekicks and had 0 awarded against him. He kicked 2 goals and 1 point.

Round 10 2011 Hawks V Bulldogs Etihad Sun 29th May

Stats:
3 Kicks, 1 handpasses, 1 mark, 0 tackles. He received 0 freekicks and had 0 awarded against him.

Note: Changa went down with an serious ankle injury in the first quarter and was subbed at quater time. Still waiting to confirm the injury and the time out it will cause.:mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back