Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 20 vs. Carlton, MCG, Fri 28/07, 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To get out of that one despite being so fumbly and hesitant for large stretches of the game says plenty about the quality of this 23!

No change for mine.

The only possible different looks I can see us taking barring further injury are WHE and Kreuger/ AJ. I’m most concerned about Mitchell and Cox in the 23. I don’t expect either of them to be there when we next play Port.

Port at their best test you in ways that no one else can in 2023 and those two failed the test because of their lateral movement moreso than speed. When it was a straight line game last night they were ok, but as soon as Port had possession we effectively defended the ground with 16. My take is Mitchell is the more vulnerable of the two because WHE covers the ground so well, but Cox playing such limited game time overnight is razors edge type stuff, IMO.

I think that this will be close to our toughest match in the run home. Partially because Carlton well and truly have their tail up, but more so because we’re coming back from a gruelling interstate match on a 6 day break. Wouldn’t surprise me if we’re a bit flat.

If we bring our best footy, we’ll send them crashing back to reality with ease.

Hill should be dropped but won’t be. I think Ginnivan should be given a chance before the finals.
McRae’s presser gave an insight into what we value as a club. He first spoke of us being poor at the contest during the 2nd and 3rd quarters in particular suggesting that if you paused the footage moving out of contest you’d consistently see more Port jumpers. His solution sub out one of our best contest players for more run.

Unless Ginnivan gets a run transplant his chances of pushing past Hill in 2023 sit somewhere between zero and none. That’s before we take into account that he also needs to push past WHE…

Last edited:
I'll be the first to announce this one as a danger game. Not because it's Carlton, but because we're playing on a 6 day break after an interstate blockbuster where we absolutely bored in on a wet night.

Wade makes his money this week.
Carlton also 6 days flying back from Perth

That was at Marvel, wasn’t it?
It was. Carlton were a bit banged up out of that one with Silvagni and Walsh unlikely to get to the line next week. Young will step up in Silvagni’s absence, but Walsh missing will place more emphasis on Docherty’s ability to go alongside Cripps in the contest. For he it’ll boil down to how our midfield works around the contest and I think we’ll see better output from JDG, Daicos and Mitchell.

Out - Cox, Howe
In - Frampton, Markov (WHE sub)

Howe is a break in case of emergency type for me at this stage of his career. Does a lot of silly things (Maynard handball?!) and doesn’t provide the run out of the backline like he used to.

I’m one of the biggest Cox supporters, and he’s unlucky. I just think Frampton is a better fit for the team.

Out - Cox, Howe

Howe is a break in case of emergency type for me at this stage of his career. Does a lot of silly things (Maynard handball?!) and doesn’t provide the run out of the backline like he used to.

I’m one of the biggest Cox supporters, and he’s unlucky. I just think Frampton is a better fit for the team.

Good game by Bruz but the handball to him is more on Bruz than on him to me. Especially with the way we play, we’ll always give it out by hand quick if we can.

Plus Howe had some really strong defensive moments in a defence under siege. Think he’s very safe in the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To get out of that one despite being so fumbly and hesitant for large stretches of the game says plenty about the quality of this 23!

No change for mine.

The only possible different looks I can see us taking barring further injury are WHE and Kreuger/ AJ. I’m most concerned about Mitchell and Cox in the 23. I don’t expect either of them to be there when we next play Port.

Port at their best test you in ways that no one else can in 2023 and those two failed the test because of their lateral movement moreso than speed. When it was a straight line game last night they were ok, but as soon as Port had possession we effectively defended the ground with 16. My take is Mitchell is the more vulnerable of the two because WHE covers the ground so well, but Cox playing such limited game time overnight is razors edge type stuff, IMO.

Agree on the above.

I felt we didn’t run as well we normally do?

No change for mine.

Is your real name dermott brereton.

Out - Cox, Howe

That handball was Maynard’s fault not Howes. Howe is a lock 🔐.
If coaching staff thought frampton was a better fit he’d be playing.

Agree on the above.

I felt we didn’t run as well we normally do?
I think that was Port’s pressure. They controlled the territory game because of their contest work in the middle two quarters. Controlling territory allowed them to set the ground up to defend our run. We had to change it up in order to counter that. Hats off to them as well because they’d brought that intensity for about 45 minutes over the past month so to sustain it for the majority of last night was massive.

If they hang on to a top 2 spot they’ll make the GF because no one will beat them over there with how they play that ground and all the 50/50 umpiring calls going their way. That’s not me dumping on the umpires either I think it was fine overall they were just able to cash in on those ones that probably go the other way at the G in front of 90k raving mad Pies fans (specifically the Marshall throw and Naicos deliberate).

I think that was Port’s pressure. They controlled the territory game because of their contest work in the middle two quarters. Controlling territory allowed them to set the ground up to defend our run. We had to change it up in order to counter that. Hats off to them as well because they’d brought that intensity for about 45 minutes over the past month so to sustain it for the majority of last night was massive.

If they hang on to a top 2 spot they’ll make the GF because no one will beat them over there with how they play that ground and all the 50/50 umpiring calls going their way. That’s not me dumping on the umpires either I think it was fine overall they were just able to cash in on those ones that probably go the other way at the G in front of 90k raving mad Pies fans (specifically the Marshall throw and Naicos deliberate).

Yup, you could almost feel their pressure through the screen. It’s the equal highest tackles against us. Freo has 79 tackles against us last week.

Imo, we can’t play Mitchell if he’s not going to match it with JHF & Dunkley. He probably won’t be as damaging as those players, but he needs to provide a great contest and reduce their impact.

Cox needs to be at that 70% game time. Several times, we went forward and needed a contest and unfortunately Cox was on the bench. I also feel like Cox’s 50% TOG might impact the rest of the teams rotations? You have a bloke sitting on a bench for 50% of the game.

Will have to wait and see the VFL today.
The interest will be how Macrae goes, as he could be an option to replace a Mitchell or Lipinski. Close eyes on Ginnivan also, as he could be an option for Hill, and AJ who could come in for Cox, considering Carlton’s rucks stocks have taken a hit with Pittonet still injured and the backup Silvagni looking like missing also.
Personally l don't think we will have any changes, barring injuries/illness during the week 🤞. The pressure though been maintained from the VFL on the AFL boys will be a great position for the club to be in.....

I’m not convinced Howe is a better choice than frampton. One on one he is not the player he once was, and his disposal and decision making is questionable at times. That hospital handpass to Maynard was a shocker. He is becoming a bit one dimensional. The club will persist with him and he’s still running into form after a long layoff, but he’s on my watch list.

Wouldn’t be opposed to seeing if there’s a better option than lipinski or mitchell but it’s probably line ball until whe is available.

Johnson for cox makes some sense. It’s becoming a luxury we can’t afford to have cox on the bench for half a game. That sai I though cox was pretty good given conditions didn’t suit him… he was doing the one percenters. Set up the mccreery goal with a neat mark and handball.

In summary…. No change is on the cards with lipinski being sub this week. But vfl will tell us a bit.

What a win!

I think with all of Sidey, Pendles, Mitchell and Lipinski + 2 rucks + 2 Key forwards we are too slow over the ground and it doesn't fit our game plan, makes a lot of sense why WHE has been a lock under McRae. Or I could be wrong and Port were just able to make us not play our style for 80% of the game

For me:

In: Markov
sub: Lipinski

I’m not convinced Howe is a better choice than frampton. One on one he is not the player he once was, and his disposal and decision making is questionable at times. That hospital handpass to Maynard was a shocker. He is becoming a bit one dimensional. The club will persist with him and he’s still running into form after a long layoff, but he’s on my watch list.

Wouldn’t be opposed to seeing if there’s a better option than lipinski or mitchell but it’s probably line ball until whe is available.

Johnson for cox makes some sense. It’s becoming a luxury we can’t afford to have cox on the bench for half a game. That sai I though cox was pretty good given conditions didn’t suit him… he was doing the one percenters. Set up the mccreery goal with a neat mark and handball.

In summary…. No change is on the cards with lipinski being sub this week. But vfl will tell us a bit.
Are you referring to the handball where Maynard got done for holding the ball ? If so that is well and truly squarely on Maynard, Howe would assume if Maynard is calling for it he is free, all Maynard had to do was move to outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back