Unofficial Preview Changes/prematch discussion vs Hawthorn (Out: Frog/In: JMac)

Remove this Banner Ad

IN: Wells, McDonald
OUT: Gibson, Turner

Gibson was horrible, wouldn't hurt him to get some confidence back in the VFL.

Turner has been a bit quiet, still so young, a few games in VFL to find the pill would be good for him.

JMac To return via VFL, I don't think Jacobs deserves to be dropped.

Basti lucky to hold spot.

Nah, Basti had his best game in a long time on the weekend. Deserves his spot in the side this weekend.

Sam Gibson 14 disposals - arguably his worst game usually accumulates 30+ with enough positives to outweigh his stinkers, not this time.

Kayne Turner 12 disposals - gives his all and can inspire his team mates would rather have him as the sub than 'rest' him provided he is physically up to it.

Shaun Atley 10 disposals - v disappointing game poor decision making has lost his mojo, i think he should be dropped to the 2's.

Drew Petrie 9 disposals - i'm conflicted, on the one hand Drew should be clunking more marks kicking more goals and having a greater impact on the game overall, on the other hand he is a leader, manages to get to both ends of the ground and does make a contest when he can, is it time to 'rest' Drew and bring in Daw?

Trent Dumont 5 disposals - terrific début and we were jumping up and down in the aisle when he kicked that goal (much to the dismay of the crusty cat fans who had been sitting in the same seats for 23 years and how dare you barrack for another team when you're at our home ground, etc etc) given we are playing the Hawks i would send him back to the VFL but only because we have better more experienced options.

Gibson couldn't play that badly against the Hawks, could he? He stays in, Drew won't get dropped i would just like to see him focus on staying in forward 50 as much as possible, take some contested marks and kick goals! Turner sub and Wells in for Atley and either LMac or Jmac in for Dumont

Sam Gibson 14 disposals - arguably his worst game usually accumulates 30+ with enough positives to outweigh his stinkers, not this time.

Kayne Turner 12 disposals - gives his all and can inspire his team mates would rather have him as the sub than 'rest' him provided he is physically up to it.

Shaun Atley 10 disposals - v disappointing game poor decision making has lost his mojo, i think he should be dropped to the 2's.

Drew Petrie 9 disposals - i'm conflicted, on the one hand Drew should be clunking more marks kicking more goals and having a greater impact on the game overall, on the other hand he is a leader, manages to get to both ends of the ground and does make a contest when he can, is it time to 'rest' Drew and bring in Daw?

Trent Dumont 5 disposals - terrific début and we were jumping up and down in the aisle when he kicked that goal (much to the dismay of the crusty cat fans who had been sitting in the same seats for 23 years and how dare you barrack for another team when you're at our home ground, etc etc) given we are playing the Hawks i would send him back to the VFL but only because we have better more experienced options.

Gibson couldn't play that badly against the Hawks, could he? He stays in, Drew won't get dropped i would just like to see him focus on staying in forward 50 as much as possible, take some contested marks and kick goals! Turner sub and Wells in for Atley and either LMac or Jmac in for Dumont
Atley can not be dropped mate, he rarely gets beaten one on one.

Nah, Basti had his best game in a long time on the weekend. Deserves his spot in the side this weekend.
I have him in. But his inconsistency and lack of hunger annoys me.

Hopefully he can build on his decent game from the weekend.. We all want him to succeed and reach his potential!

I reckon if he can improve his kicking he could kick 30+ a year as a winger.

You're probably right I just hope he looks up before he kicks the footy and makes better decisions this week
He's our best one on one defender, but hopefully he can find that confidence from a few years back and run and dare from half back.. Improves us collectively when he's setting us up from half back.

He's our best one on one defender, but hopefully he can find that confidence from a few years back and run and dare from half back.. Improves us collectively when he's setting us up from half back.

Would love to see that Saturday night, everyone needs to be switched on if we are any chance to beat the Hawks

I wouldn't go that far.

He is a very handy defender on smalls though

^^^^^
It's not that difficult to get on the end of a few when a) your opposition never worry about tagging you despite your av. possession # being high. b) you have no intention of tackling c) you have the hurt factor of a feather duster.

He is 29 and going backwards at a rate of knots.

Anybody who is not taking the piss would know that Gibson won't be dropped. Not this week, not any other week in the foreseeable future.

And this is precisely why we are a middle of the road team.

Ordinary players who are locks.

I Think Gaz Jr led the league in clangers one year and is always right up there most ears, however he is the best player in the game...

He averages 40 possessions a game. He kicks goals. He creates goals and can win his own ball despite being tagged and having the entire opposition working him over for 120 minutes.

Gibbo has 5 seconds every time he gets it to sum up the situation, make a decision and execute with every possession. Ablett, 99% of all other players have less than 1.

Dumont in 2 seconds displayed multiples of skill execution, smarts and decision making, than Gibbo has ever. It's pretty basic s**t and after 3 years to be making the same shithouse goal costing decisions is annoying.

The only dead horse being flogged is the bullshit about him being vital or we'll have no options or outlets. It's gone too far.

Wells, Dal, Nahas, Jamie even in that position getting on the end of it half as many times would make us a better team.

Sill execution is the only thing holding us back, yet when people suggest dropping the bloke that turns it over the most under the least amount of pressure, there is some sort of witch hunt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he is, along with Thompson.

Rarely gets beaten by his man in contests.

I'd still have Thommo as our best one on one defender - plays on all types of players (when not being wasted as a spare man). Grima rarely gets beaten also but he is nearly at the end.

Atley gets a similar type of role most weeks and is doing his defensive job very well I agree.

We could use plenty of his line breaking against the Hawks also no doubt

It's not that difficult to get on the end of a few when a) your opposition never worry about tagging you despite your av. possession # being high. b) you have no intention of tackling c) you have the hurt factor of a feather duster.
I would certainly hope tackle numbers are in his KPIs this week.
He is 29 and going backwards at a rate of knots.
Insufficient sample size.

I think we're a bit unbalanced without his running against the Hawks. I don't think putting Dumont in ahead of him makes the 22 better this week, though in the long term if someone forces him out or development gets a higher priority some weeks ... fine, he should be under as much pressure as anyone else in the side.

For me, any/all of Wells, JMac, LMac in assuming fitness. Wells and JMac had to have been close last week based on training.
I'll go with the groupthink on Turner needing a rest. All of Thomas, Turner, Nahas, Harvey and Higgins in means a couple of them are playing out of their best position.
Probably Froggy to drop out for now, though I'd be happy to see him line up again.
Basti or Jacobs would be stiff. I'd consider Spud to make way for JMac. More like for like. Won't happen though.

You're probably right I just hope he looks up before he kicks the footy and makes better decisions this week
I'd love for him to master the Boomer 20-25 meter chip kick.

I really cant see Jacobs or Basti being dropped.

The only clear out I can see is Turner. Which is to be expected given his age.. Dumont whilst stiff, will most likely be the other player to be dropped if we have two fit players coming in.

I know he's Bon's lovechild, but I cant see how JMac can fit back in if Wells and LMac are available.

In: LMac, Wellsy
Out: Turner, Froggy

er. It's pretty basic s**t and after 3 years to be making the same shithouse goal costing decisions is annoying.
I would certainly hope tackle numbers are in his KPIs this week.

Insufficient sample size.

I think we're a bit unbalanced without his running against the Hawks. I don't think putting Dumont in ahead of him makes the 22 better this week, though in the long term if someone forces him out or development gets a higher priority some weeks ... fine, he should be under as much pressure as anyone else in the side.

For me, any/all of Wells, JMac, LMac in assuming fitness. Wells and JMac had to have been close last week based on training.
I'll go with the groupthink on Turner needing a rest. All of Thomas, Turner, Nahas, Harvey and Higgins in means a couple of them are playing out of their best position.
Probably Froggy to drop out for now, though I'd be happy to see him line up again.
Basti or Jacobs would be stiff. I'd consider Spud to make way for JMac. More like for like. Won't happen though.

We are never going to break their Iron Press without Gibbos gut running. He can't kick but he is the hardest worker into space

Gibson was named in the best in media outlets in the first 3 weeks, probably picked up coaches votes, is in the leadership group.

If we were going to drop a senior player (and he is despite his games tally) we would have done it after round 1.

He won't get dropped, I am certain of it.

Particuatly Nick Bowen last week:

@AFL_Nick: Love Gibson's run but his kicking is becoming an issue for North #AFLNorthPower

Out: Turner (or "the Kid" as my 7yr old fondly says)
In: Wells

Dumont to start, with Wells to be eased back in with only a part-game as the sub.

Can't see Gibson being dropped without a few more shockers stacked up. He has far too many credits built up and his gut running will be crucial against the Hawks.

Basti the only other possible omission I can see, but would only happen if Wells and 1 of JMac / LMac are both available for selection.

Loogs needs to get absolutely cherry ripe in the 2s a little longer too - can be pretty ordinary if underdone.

If McDonald comes in I want him to tag Lewis.

Think he's more suited to shutting down Mitchell, who can struggle with a tag and is also almost always at the start of their clearance chain. Chop him out and it makes it a lot harder for the Hawks to get their outside guys to chop us up with their deadly run and disposal.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back