Prediction Changes: Round 18 Vs Sydney Swans + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Blake Acres comes straight in because he's actually a Top 5 player this year - Brayshaw, Brodie, Lobb, Aish and Acres would be our Top 5 at the Doig so far (who else comes closer?)

We're always going to be upset about defensive changes because we're just so stacked with talent back there presently - Hughes, Wilson and Hamling would be getting gigs in a lot of other teams.

It's the forwards who aren't easy replace on our list - Banfield, Colyer and Walters aren't setting the world on fire. Switowski would replace one and I personally think Henry should be getting the nod ahead one of them if we don't get the required output this weekend.

Blake Acres comes straight in because he's actually a Top 5 player this year - Brayshaw, Brodie, Lobb, Aish and Acres would be our Top 5 at the Doig so far (who else comes closer?)

We're always going to be upset about defensive changes because we're just so stacked with talent back there presently - Hughes, Wilson and Hamling would be getting gigs in a lot of other teams.

It's the forwards who aren't easy replace on our list - Banfield, Colyer and Walters aren't setting the world on fire. Switowski would replace one and I personally think Henry should be getting the nod ahead one of them if we don't get the required output this weekend.

Henry probably would have if it wasn't for his minor injury a few weeks ago plus if we weren't making finals.

Who wouldve guessed at the start of the season we would be fist pumping that Acres is straight back in.

I for one am excited to see how him and Fyfe go together.
I didn't mind Blake arces at Saint Kilda. Was a solid 20 disposal a game player and had the occasional 30 disposal game too.

The problem was he was poorly developed at the saints when Alan Richardson was coaching him.

Dead certain Ross Lyon would of got the best out of him, if he was coaching Freo at 2020.

Fortunately Ross Lyons replacement in Justin Longmuir has found a way to get the best out of Acres.

No one hates him. We have a very strong defence and 10 very capable defenders fighting for 7 spots. You don't have to hate a bloke to call for him to make way for someone very slightly better.
You said 10 decent defenders fighting for 7 spots. So back 6 and 1 interchange spot. That's good.

I like freos forward line depth. Taberner and Lobb are both capable of playing full forward and can lure a defender or 2.

Plus.... As for a rotating small forwards..... Walters, Switkowski, Frederick and Schulz. Lose one with injury, the other 3 will perform well in a good day

Bit harsh on Nathan Wilson being dropped.

Is he best 18 right now? Probably not.

Best 22 or best 23. On certain games yes.

I hope he is in our best 22/23 on our 1st final this season.

One of the rare players in our side that has played finals, won finals and aged under 30.

Who’s your top 10 for the Doig?

Acres when at his best (and that's been more often than not) this year is making a huge positive impact on the way we've been playing.

Walker makes the odd **** up that will lead to some hair tearing but he just creates so much, I don't get why people want to drop him.
I don't think it's a matter of whether people want to drop Walker, it's probably whether they think Wilson or someone else deserves to be in the team ahead of him.

I'm kind of upset that Wilson lost his spot, but it's really difficult at the moment in the backline. I guess when Pearce returns, who goes out, probably Logue forward, and Banfield out ? Not really fair on Banfield either, given how much he has improved and contributed this year.

Also Switta is definitely best 22 so, who goes out for him ? Maybe Colyer - though he also has performed well most weeks, just dropped off a bit lately perhaps, some would say Walters, but I think he provides really good leadership and has been performing his role most weeks without hitting the scoreboard. Was playing as a high-half forward last week and the pressuring St Kilda pretty well, he went to the back line, and provided links in the chains for the ball movement from back 50 to forward 50 several times.

If Nathan O'Driscoll really ramps it up at Peel over the next two weeks, do we look at him again ? Liam Henry is on the verge also of coming in after really improving in the last few games at Peel that he has played.

Let's hope the pressure for spots stays on, and we continue to get excellent performances. Undoubtedly there will be some injuries, perhaps some loss of form etc, and the players at Peel need to be ready.

I don't think it's a matter of whether people want to drop Walker, it's probably whether they think Wilson or someone else deserves to be in the team ahead of him.

I'm kind of upset that Wilson lost his spot, but it's really difficult at the moment in the backline. I guess when Pearce returns, who goes out, probably Logue forward, and Banfield out ? Not really fair on Banfield either, given how much he has improved and contributed this year.

Also Switta is definitely best 22 so, who goes out for him ? Maybe Colyer - though he also has performed well most weeks, just dropped off a bit lately perhaps, some would say Walters, but I think he provides really good leadership and has been performing his role most weeks without hitting the scoreboard. Was playing as a high-half forward last week and the pressuring St Kilda pretty well, he went to the back line, and provided links in the chains for the ball movement from back 50 to forward 50 several times.

If Nathan O'Driscoll really ramps it up at Peel over the next two weeks, do we look at him again ? Liam Henry is on the verge also of coming in after really improving in the last few games at Peel that he has played.

Let's hope the pressure for spots stays on, and we continue to get excellent performances. Undoubtedly there will be some injuries, perhaps some loss of form etc, and the players at Peel need to be ready.
If we can maintain even close to this sort of health we're well set up for a crack at this September.
No excuses this year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd think Clark, Darcy, Serong, Schultz, Young would be around the equivalent of Lobb/Aish this year on that list.

He still needs to get on and keep playing or sub himself off. Henry was waiting on the sidelines.

I noticed the reduced efforts and agree with you that it came after a heavy hit that I thought was in the last where he doubled over in pain for a bit. Once he recovered he has to go again. I think Taylor was right there were a few efforts late that he should have gone harder. He shouldn’t be crucified and he has played solidly but given the ins it was likely him or Walker. Walker is a good one on one defender. I was a little critical of him earlier in the year but I’m sold on him. Just needs to keep working at choosing the right option with his kicks. Made the poor disposal error that led to the last goal kicked by Max King.

The final piece of the puzzle for mine is
Alex Pearce and Switta replacing Banfield and Colyer. In that scenario Logue goes forward.

Reasonable changes for mine.
That’s a very harsh call on Willo. Watch the reply. He is polaxed and can barely move. He up and moving back into defensive 50 as soon as he can. Players aren’t robots.

Walker makes the odd **** up that will lead to some hair tearing but he just creates so much, I don't get why people want to drop him.

Does he tho?

I think he's being picked for his ability to keep small forwards quiet, which he has done very well. But I don't think he's particularly attacking or creative defender. I think he has the potential to be creative and attacking, but we only see snippets of it.

People get excited by his pace, but he doesn't use it very often. (Which is maybe because of his role?) I'm ok if he's being picked because he has potential to be creative, but he's not really doing it yet... Not as much as our other small defenders. Which is why people prefer Wilson.

It's difficult to measure though... I reckon teh best measure would have to be Score involvements.

Statistically, he's behind Young, Clark, Wilson for Score Involvements. Which IMO makes him our least creative small defender.

He's way behind Ryan, Clark, Young, Wilson, Cox and Chapman for meters gained (Some of those are inflated by taking kick ins).

And he's also behind Clark, Young, Chapman and Wilson for i50s.

But he's only played 23 games. I think that selecting him now, means that he'll be a gun by the time we win the 2023 premiership.

Walker is 19 and developing beautifully at AFL level. He’s too good for WAFL and personally I don’t think playing at that level would be particularly useful to his development. Pick 50 was a deadset start-the-car bargain for him.
Yes he is developing really well and has a significant role in the team on quick smalls that most of our smalls can’t play.
The only issue was with Wilson coming into the team and playing the same role with less mistakes, he was better. I totally understand the coaches backing in the player they have been developing all year, I am just not used to a young player being backed when a more experienced player comes in and does a better job. Not good or bad just different.

Yes he is developing really well and has a significant role in the team on quick smalls that most of our smalls can’t play.
The only issue was with Wilson coming into the team and playing the same role with less mistakes, he was better. I totally understand the coaches backing in the player they have been developing all year, I am just not used to a young player being backed when a more experienced player comes in and does a better job. Not good or bad just different.

Samesies. It's foreign... but I think I like it. Sustained success and all...

I think I'd have to go back and watch closely to say definitively Wilson was playing the same role with less mistakes. I think 1v1 against smalls, Walker is a lot better. He's a bit more fumbly than Wilson and Wilson will be a higher metres gained player but if you're talking about locking down a small defender, I think Walker has him covered easily.

Last edited:
I'd say Wilson plays a much closer style to Clarke and (to a lesser extent) Young. Walker provides a much better balance of styles down back.
How Dare You Wtf GIF by Sky

Does he tho?

I think he's being picked for his ability to keep small forwards quiet, which he has done very well. But I don't think he's particularly attacking or creative defender. I think he has the potential to be creative and attacking, but we only see snippets of it.

People get excited by his pace, but he doesn't use it very often. (Which is maybe because of his role?) I'm ok if he's being picked because he has potential to be creative, but he's not really doing it yet... Not as much as our other small defenders. Which is why people prefer Wilson.

It's difficult to measure though... I reckon teh best measure would have to be Score involvements.

Statistically, he's behind Young, Clark, Wilson for Score Involvements. Which IMO makes him our least creative small defender.

He's way behind Ryan, Clark, Young, Wilson, Cox and Chapman for meters gained (Some of those are inflated by taking kick ins).

But he's only played 23 games. I think that selecting him now, means that he'll be a gun by the time we win the 2023 premiership.
Walker is our most defensively minded small-medium defender who has the added weapon of being able to break lines because of his pace. But from where I watch he uses his pace to best effect covering the opposition small forwards when defending. Despite leading inside 50s all game, Saints didn't really get too many goals from balls that hit the deck. The only player that consistently plays a tighter role than Walker is Pearce.

I'd written him off after that game against the Bulldogs last year.

Does he tho?

Not here to curry favour with anyone with false modesty but - why not the 2022 premiership?

All the talk seems to be about Melbourne and Geelong - why not Freo? You're playing as good as anybody for mine.

I'm also thinking this side has better balance and more depth than the 2013 side. And you could put an argument forward that the head coach is an upgrade too, no disrespect to Ross Lyon.

The courteous thing to do would be to wish you luck on Saturday but really - I don't think you need it.

Not here to curry favour with anyone with false modesty but - why not the 2022 premiership?

All the talk seems to be about Melbourne and Geelong - why not Freo? You're playing as good as anybody for mine.

I'm also thinking this side has better balance and more depth than the 2013 side. And you could put an argument forward that the head coach is an upgrade too, no disrespect to Ross Lyon.

The courteous thing to do would be to wish you luck on Saturday but really - I don't think you need it.

I'm too scarred to be believe such hope and hype, especially with a playing group that has mostly never experienced Finals before. Lose 2 of the next 3 and we'll be back to fighting for a spot in the 8 nevermind the Top 4 and that's very doable (losing 3 from 3 is doable). Especially without Pearce for Buddy.

25+ years of chinese water torture does not condition a man for hope...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back