Opinion Changes v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Im torn tho.
Do we debut a few players, give them a taste before preseason to get the excited.
Palmer, harvey, frampton etc
Go down to freo and also drop to 12th for a better pick then 9th.
?

Ken has a 'thing' about making this 2 ruck setup work. I think it robs of us ryders full effect on a game. Seems to fade out if it when Lobbe is in the team.

unchanged side.

lets SMASH the dockers at home and go into the break with plenty of confidence.

I am tipping after the game that Boakie will gather all the boys in the middle of the ground and will give them a pretty solid serve.

Im torn tho.
Do we debut a few players, give them a taste before preseason to get the excited.
Palmer, harvey, frampton etc
Go down to freo and also drop to 12th for a better pick then 9th.
?

It has taken us all damn season but I think we are back to the stage where there is genuine competition for spots in the side.

Palmer and Frampton (will Harvey make it?) will have the same buzz about them as Amon and Ah Chee had about them in the 2015 pre season.

The best thing that could happen would be for Butcher to be dropped and Ken and Co to get a real wakeup call when the team goes back to playing sideways.

Chad will finish off an amazing year and will then be looking towards a trip to the US given he is now old enough to drink over there!

Weather looks like being poor next week as well. One tall too many Lobbe for Jake.

Not too sure where your forecast came from Scott but the BOM forecast for Saturday 5th of September is, partly cloudy with light winds and a 10% chance of rain. Doesn't sound too bad to me.

Not too sure where your forecast came from Scott but the BOM forecast for Saturday 5th of September is, partly cloudy with light winds and a 10% chance of rain. Doesn't sound too bad to me.
Was looking at the forecast yesterday it's changed.
Still bring Jake in if he's ok. We just haven't looked good with the 2 rucks.

If playing 2 rucks is Kens grand plan then we need to have Lobbe in the side now. The game means nothing so I'd rather them use this game to help those 2 work together effectively.

As for changes. Achee and Amon need to play full games, other than that I don't care... Maybe dump Oshea for Clurey (depending on form today)

The best thing that could happen would be for Butcher to be dropped and Ken and Co to get a real wakeup call when the team goes back to playing sideways.

This talk about Butcher straightening the side up is a bit of a furphy. Ken wanted to straighten the side up so he brought Butcher in. He's already practising the game plan with Dixon on board.

It's been a clear instruction to players to attack front and square a lot more, Butcher is just the mechanism. Let's face it not even Butch knows where he's going to run, how would his teammates? :p

Even Tony Shaw noticed how much we went straight at the top of the square, probably too much but we weren't overly burnt by the tactic and reaped some handy rewards.

Having said that I would keep Butcher in the side even if Schulz comes back.

2 rucks will be more commonplace when the sub rule is gone. At the very least you will have more mobile talls.
Lobbe still needs to have impact around the ground though.

This talk about Butcher straightening the side up is a bit of a furphy. Ken wanted to straighten the side up so he brought Butcher in. He's already practising the game plan with Dixon on board.

It's been a clear instruction to players to attack front and square a lot more, Butcher is just the mechanism. Let's face it not even Butch knows where he's going to run, how would his teammates? :p

Even Tony Shaw noticed how much we went straight at the top of the square, probably too much but we weren't overly burnt by the tactic and reaped some handy rewards.

Having said that I would keep Butcher in the side even if Schulz comes back.

people seem to overlook Butch's marking, I think he is more than proficient overhead and can take a contested mark which our #1 lead ruckman can't even do and he is 200cm tall. It would be interesting to hear Ken's unfiltered view on Butch.

This talk about Butcher straightening the side up is a bit of a furphy.
Yes and no.
Both Schulz and Westhoff have a tendency to lead towards the pockets or wide. Being the good players that they are, players will kick to them.

IIRC last week Wingard passed the ball to Schulz instead of having a shot that ended up going out. May have even been OOF. Whilst it is only one incident, it is one that occurs fairly regularly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

people seem to overlook Butch's marking, I think he is more than proficient overhead and can take a contested mark ....
That's straight out fantasy. He took 5 marks yesterday and if there was a single contested mark I don't recall it. He was in multiple contested situations but didn't come close to holding one. That is his other glaring weakness beside set shot kicking for goal.

That's straight out fantasy. He took 5 marks yesterday and if there was a single contested mark I don't recall it. He was in multiple contested situations but didn't come close to holding one. That is his other glaring weakness beside set shot kicking for goal.
IIRC there were at least 3.
One coming out of defence and two in our forward 50.

This talk about Butcher straightening the side up is a bit of a furphy ....
Yeah, in large part what has been happening in the last few weeks (and it's great) is that we have been winning ruck contests and driving forward. Ryder as principal ruck, Sammy Gray in the middle, these have both coincided with Butcher's selection.

IIRC there were at least 3.
One coming out of defence and two in our forward 50.
He took marks, and some not bad ones. But not 3 out of 5 contested. Well it's possible we have different ideas on what contested means but I can't imagine how that would be.

to be fair to Butch, most of those were in the 'bomb it long' category because of the conditions which make the degree of difficulty a lot harder.

I think he shows some ability in that second up role as he showed in the second half last night. If he is confident, he would be a handful given his aerobic capacity and his ability to meet the majority of contests. In my view, his hands are pretty good.

he does look like a baby foal though, he is all arms and legs in some situations!

Yeah, in large part what has been happening in the last few weeks (and it's great) is that we have been winning ruck contests and driving forward. Ryder as principal ruck, Sammy Gray in the middle, these have both coincided with Butcher's selection.

it is amazing how much better we look when we use the corridor.

as for people saying 'we've been figured out' shows lack of knowledge - our game, which every coach tries to play if they've got the tools, is pretty basic and that is to use the corridor and to run hard. It isn't complicated, the WCE, the GWS et al all play the same game.

Some teams (i.e the AFC) can't play the corridor as they don't have the right players so they try to slow the game down and use the flanks by bringing in certain other players (i.e Thompson) which would otherwise be exploited in the corridor.

He took marks, and some not bad ones. But not 3 out of 5 contested. Well it's possible we have different ideas on what contested means but I can't imagine how that would be.
To debate that we will need a video of his marks. Until then we'll just have to disagree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back