Preview Changes v Saints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least Lemmens wants to get the footy..First year player playing harder then our more senior boys, better ball use will come in time. He had our third most possessions last week and 6 tackles, yep better drop him.

Still yet to see anything from Martin this year... Hopefully he can step up this week.
Definitely disagree with this one. I think he's done a brilliant job. As others have said, he definitely needs to pack on some muscle to be more effective, and when he does he'll be an absolute beast.

Allen couldn't tie Lemmens shoe laces :p not sure what you see in Allen. He is small, soft and one paced from what I've seen.
Yet to see Allen but actually like Lemmens.. yes, still on a learning curve but think there is a lot of potential there & he deserves the chance..

A few weeks ago i had this down as a dead cert (as would most of us) but i really don't know now. I expect, after what was delivered last week, that there should be an emphatic response, but will they ?? At this point I think it would be preferable for us to try our guts out & lose then coast away & win ..

I'm confident that this will be a fairly even, high scoring match. Will be interesting to watch.

We
We are getting a little harsh on Lemmens here, he has had a good first season. Last week, well... the last few weeks have been forgettable for him, but lets be fair it's been that way for most of the team.
well said I can't understand that people have ago at first year players when their is players that have been in the system for4years .cant believe players can have an injury one week but play the next

My criticism of Lemmens comes not from his lack of experience and exposure in top-level AFL, but simply from on-field stupidity and poor choices. I'm not comparing him with other players either. People who make poor choices and lack motivation aren't drafted into AFL clubs because there's hope it'll be ironed out by the time they're 25. There are plenty of rookies in the AFL in various clubs around Australia, and yes they're all new, but if they aren't spatially aware, they're useless. If they're going to cost the club wins/goals, they're useless.

Draft picks aren't Ikea furniture in a box that need to be painstakingly constructed - they're a wine that improves with age. If that wine is sour upon draft, it's still going to be s**t in 5 years. (Not specifically talking about Lemmens here - merely pointing out that gifting games is pointless and poor form shouldn't be rewarded).

My criticism of Lemmens comes not from his lack of experience and exposure in top-level AFL, but simply from on-field stupidity and poor choices. I'm not comparing him with other players either. People who make poor choices and lack motivation aren't drafted into AFL clubs because there's hope it'll be ironed out by the time they're 25. There are plenty of rookies in the AFL in various clubs around Australia, and yes they're all new, but if they aren't spatially aware, they're useless. If they're going to cost the club wins/goals, they're useless.

Draft picks aren't Ikea furniture in a box that need to be painstakingly constructed - they're a wine that improves with age. If that wine is sour upon draft, it's still going to be s**t in 5 years. (Not specifically talking about Lemmens here - merely pointing out that gifting games is pointless and poor form shouldn't be rewarded).

I have literally no idea what kind of argument you are making here. Lemmens has to date had a very solid 1st year. If you put him on the team in 2011 we're talking a top 5 performance from end to end, up there with Swallow, McKenzie and Matera. You are judging him on his ability to last an entire season when he's been up to AFL standard and contributed a lot to some of our better wins of the season. He was particularly good at the end of our game vs. Collingwood. In 3 years time, he'll be a lot better than he is now. No one expected to have him in their best 22 on draft night, or at start of preseason camp.

He'll have his spot in the side next season and I look forward to his improvement. He's played miles above Jack Martin and has been equal to Kolo in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what make you think he's been gifted game ?. you haven't had one good reason yet.
Every player make a few bad decisions on the field every now and then and he hasn't done anything disastrous on field that's cost us a game like your making out he has.

He earned his spot in the team and obviously bluey think the same he done enough and played his roll in the team for the first 11 games of the season then fatigue caught up to him and he lost his spot.
Think he had two week without footy then played a few games in the neafl and won his spot back in the team no gifted games whatsoever

The best first year player that has great spatial awareness and makes solid on-field choices is Marcus Bontempelli, but in all honesty the kid is a freak of nature. I can't think of a single first year player that is anywhere near his level. The two second year freaks are Jack Macrae and Ollie Wines (it's a bit scary that the Bulldogs have Jack Macrae and Marcus Bontempelli, their midfield is destined to be amazing). You have to remember even Bradley Hill didn't perform all that consistently last year, but only came into some consistent form at the end of 2013 (supposedly his break-out game was against the Crows in 2013, but I honestly think his true break-out game was against Geelong in the preliminary final). Bradley Hill is a third year player, and though he may be one of the elite outside runners now, it took about three years to get there. Brad Hill still got to this level at an incredible pace compared to most, though. He has less than 50 games under his belt, so even he falls under the unusual.

We should wait and see what Sean Lemmens is like when he has fifty games under his belt. I am just saying that although Sean Lemmens may not be as good as Marcus Bontempelli at this point in his career, he is still about as good as Brad Hill in his first year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back