Preview Changes vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Pods looks spent to me.. Doesn't seem to be moving enough... I thought he looked a bit disinterested to be honest
Agree he is gets out of puff easily, but he has been doing lots of chasing for an old guy.

Have been really pleased with his team footy - does the 1% that often go unnoticed.

Should not be dropped based on last few weeks, but will need to be rested during the season (when Tex is back).

Disagree he looks disinterested.

Hartigan needs to play, he's a gun so give him game time so keep proving himself to be a quality AFL player

He is.. But not sure he, Talia and Rutten make a good fit. I think Shaw was very good on the weekend and gives us better balance.
If the Truck is fit, he plays. He deserves that respect.

Agree he is gets out of puff easily, but he has been doing lots of chasing for an old guy.

Have been really pleased with his team footy - does the 1% that often go unnoticed.

Should not be dropped based on last few weeks, but will need to be rested during the season (when Tex is back).

He is running out of puff and just does not look dangerous... At his age not many blokes improve. Lynch and Jenkins are much better options with plenty of upside

Pure fantasy. If Rutten is fit, he absolutely returns, on the demonstrable basis of still being a much better and more composed key defender than Hartigan at this stage.
But don't drop Hartigan though, when Truck retires who's gonna play his position a 6 gamer?

Interesting to see how our backline will match up for this weekends game.

Crameri is a very smart footballer and deceptively quick. Do we go with our no. 1 defender in Talia on him, or do we play the quicker Kartigan on Cram?

If the latter, does Talia then go to Minson/Campbell and Shaw to Liam Jones?

Pure fantasy. If Rutten is fit, he absolutely returns, on the demonstrable basis of still being a much better and more composed key defender than Hartigan at this stage.

It will give me no joy to be proven correct on Truck.

Did you watch the St Kilda match? He made a number of poor decisions and was clearly too slow and too small for either Riewoldt and Stanley. When we have the ball in the F50 and our defenders press up, it becomes a foot race when the ball goes over the top. Both Hartigan and Shaw saved goals on the weekend with their pace. Every time Truck has been in this position it's six points to the opposition.

Even if Truck is slightly ahead of Hartigan, does it mean it is best for us to leave Kyle in the twos. I hate to break the news but we won't win the flag this year, we need to develop players who are AFL ready.

I thought Hunt, Chapman, JPod and Corey were all instrumental in Geelong's win over Hawthorn on Monday :rolleyes:.

Crameri is a very smart footballer and deceptively quick. Do we go with our no. 1 defender in Talia on him, or do we play the quicker Kartigan on Cram?

for me best defender on best forward, so Talia to Crameri

I think the Truck debate has been going on since 2007 and each year he proves to be our best defender...
He deserves respect... Until he starts getting chopped up or isn't fit he plays

People calling for Pods to be dropped - have you been to any of the games this year, or only seen on TV? Genuine question.
Same thought occurred to me. His work off the ball is great, and some of his taps to advantage have to be seen live to be believed. Jenkins is developing the same traits. Must be rubbing off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Smack's papers have been stamped for the last time. Had the chance at the start of the year to cement his spot but he isn't ******* good enough.

Same thought occurred to me. His work off the ball is great, and some of his taps to advantage have to be seen live to be believed. Jenkins is developing the same traits. Must be rubbing off.
Hartigan was saying today that he does his post match reviews with Pods, who sits there and gives him the forwards perspective on everything to help him learn. Not just the forwards he's helping out.

Why Pods? He seems to me to be doing some great work--especially one-percenters in the fwd line.

Petrenko needs a name change to Pods then he will have a free pass to do nothing but 1%s.
Absolutely bonkers.

Seems people like to overlook the horrible unpressed decisions he makes when he has the ball and his lack of ability to actually get it.

Even if pods is mentoring he doesnt have to be out there to do it as well, it really seems like bottom of the barrel spin like the wayne carey saga.

His dropped marks have to be seen to be believed? That's some delusion, Sounds like the porplyzia forever troop have a new champion of the 1% tap ons...

Pods out for rutten, better at both ends then Pods. Grigg for douglas (tribunal are blouses)

Last edited:
Hartigan needs to play, he's a gun so give him game time so keep proving himself to be a quality AFL player
He's definitely not a gun ....but he does need to play as IMO this will be Ruttens last season and Hartigan needs the experience

Can't see him being dropped anytime soon based on last weeks performance

IMO we'll see Shaw on Crameri ......Shaw is definitely our quickest tall and has the game to stop Crameri

Think Smack's papers have been stamped for the last time. Had the chance at the start of the year to cement his spot but he isn't ******* good enough.
:confused: huh ? .......was replaced due to concussion and his replacement has been too good to drop

That in no way means McKernans papers are stamped .....in fact his form was the best of his career and SLOWLY on an upward curve .....VERY SLOWLY ;)

I think the Truck debate has been going on since 2007 and each year he proves to be our best defender...
He deserves respect... Until he starts getting chopped up or isn't fit he plays

I have never suggested that Truck should be dropped in previous seasons. The only game I have not seen live this year is the St Kilda match. It may be due to injury but he is way behind last year's form. He is fumbling, missing targets by hand and foot and has been beaten one-on-one by some average footballers. Ben Hart would still be lining up at full back if we left the decision to him.

Which players have we retired too early? Jason Torney? How did he and Ben Hart perform in the SANFL the year after they were "delisted"? Our history is to allow players to go on too long rather than cut them off in their prime.

I would still like to have seen Brown and Laird played in 2012 rather than Callinan, Dogga and Stiffy. Just as well that we won the flag and proved me wrong.

:confused: huh ? .......was replaced due to concussion and his replacement has been too good to drop

That in no way means McKernans papers are stamped .....in fact his form was the best of his career and SLOWLY on an upward curve .....VERY SLOWLY ;)
Why wasn't he subbed out then? He would've been dropped if it wasn't for this concussion. He isn't even pressing for selection in the SANFL.

I have never suggested that Truck should be dropped in previous seasons. The only game I have not seen live this year is the St Kilda match. It may be due to injury but he is way behind last year's form. He is fumbling, missing targets by hand and foot and has been beaten one-on-one by some average footballers. Ben Hart would still be lining up at full back if we left the decision to him.

Which players have we retired too early? Jason Torney? How did he and Ben Hart perform in the SANFL the year after they were "delisted"? Our history is to allow players to go on too long rather than cut them off in their prime.

I would still like to have seen Brown and Laird played in 2012 rather than Callinan, Dogga and Stiffy. Just as well that we won the flag and proved me wrong.

I have no problem with Rutten being tapped on the shoulder. As you mentioned it has happened to many a good player. But the club owed it to Rutten to do it at the end of 2013 not after a few games this year... If he is struggling to come up don't play him. And if they are going to rest him once a month no problems... But if he is fit and performing he plays unless his form seriously drops away

There is no way Truck is finished as an AFL footballer.

There is also no way that playing him against the Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium is a good idea (as proven in last year's corresponding fixture).

Rutten at this stage of his career is a 'play him 2/3 of the time, depending on the venue and opponent' player.

This week represents the worst possible venue and worst possible opponent for him.

The end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back