Changes vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin named at half-back, and while it's not always the case, this means he's likely to not start as sub.

These team sheets often mean nothing but Cameron named on a wing too. Would love to see this, even if it's only for a short sint in each quarter. If my memory serves correctly, he played most of his juniors as a wingman/half-back. He certainly didn't play crumbing small forward so he's still learning the role we're giving him and he's still very slight so gets bumped off very easily despit the effort you can see in him.

Won't hit a target, kick a goal or take a mark but he will block.
I bet he hits more targets, kicks more goals and takes more marks than VB. I'm glad he's in. I actually think he has qualities that Walsh will like if he just takes his chance to win the coach's confidence. I accept that that is a fairly substantial 'if' though.
Martin will hit more targets and kick more goals than VB
Snap!

We are going to be absolutely demolished. I wonder if Freo will consider resting players?

This is the same Martin that kicked 4.16
That's the really frustrating part…and he's actually not that bad a kick!

Can only put it down to not handling the pressure i guess but if he nailed even half those shots he could've established himself as the rest of his game was solid.

I distinctly remember a couple of plays last year where he was involved in a defensive clearance, ran like a man possessed, and ended up with the ball inside our forward 50…be nice to have a player like that again (esp while Sloane, Smith, Douglas, Henderson, Kerridge are all out).

Jaensch, Smith, Hendo. Three of our best kicks and all of our rebound.

Meh Martin for Hendo leaves us pretty much in the same spot.

I understand all the doom and gloom in this thread but there's a few things I just want to clarify. Theres so much talk of our 'lack of depth' and whilst this is true id like to see how most teams go without 3 of their best 5 mids, their best outside runner and their designated kicker.

We are playing at home, this alone gives us a more realistic chance of winning. We generally play the ground well and the crowd must get involved.

Final thing, other than midfield (I know I know) we match up OK with them. Our defence is young but Talia will go fine on Pav and our 2 smalls should be well matched with theirs. Our forwardline is potent, but they'll need to make the most of what they get.

Dont think we will win but it shouldn't be the slaughter some are predicting. I would imagine the same people who bemoan my first point will be the first to go full lindy when we are beaten by a much better side.

I also don't understand the doom and gloom in this thread. You guys still have a very good side filled with match-winners. Sure, you have a couple of weak spots, but all it takes is a couple of stand out performances by guys like Tex, Betts, Sauce and Thompson and you'd barely notice them. I'd expect this game's result to be within 3 or 4 goals, either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't see why people are so upset with Martin coming in. It's not like he under-performed last year - he was consistently decent, with a couple of very good games. He always gives it his all. Yes, he's very clearly a depth player only... which is exactly what we need right now. We've got half the side out so I'm glad we've got someone like him on the list who we can rely on to come in and play a decent game. He's got enough experience under his belt now that we can expect this from him.

Looking at this glass half full, I'd rather we have this many injuries playing against a team we are expected to lose too, than have half a team play against a carlton or Gold Coast and lose to them.

Martin named at half-back, and while it's not always the case, this means he's likely to not start as sub.
That would have just been a straight swap for Hendo in the named line up. They wouldn't have re-shuffled everything

Don't see why people are so upset with Martin coming in. It's not like he under-performed last year - he was consistently decent, with a couple of very good games. He always gives it his all. Yes, he's very clearly a depth player only... which is exactly what we need right now. We've got half the side out so I'm glad we've got someone like him on the list who we can rely on to come in and play a decent game. He's got enough experience under his belt now that we can expect this from him.

Exactly, if we weren't gonna play Martin in this situation he might as well not be on our list at all.

I also don't understand the doom and gloom in this thread. You guys still have a very good side filled with match-winners. Sure, you have a couple of weak spots, but all it takes is a couple of stand out performances by guys like Tex, Betts, Sauce and Thompson and you'd barely notice them. I'd expect this game's result to be within 3 or 4 goals, either way.
A couple of wins over poor sides have papered over major cracks. Our form over the last month has not been good and we're missing a third of our best 22 (with several of those next in line injured too). A couple more are coming off concussions last week. Our gun players will need to fire big time for us to snatch it, but it just seems really unlikely on last week's evidence. I think at our best we're a very good shot at knocking you off, but we're wounded right now.

I'm more interested in seeing how our youngsters go. Kelly, Lever, Ellis-Yolmen, Cameron, Matt Crouch and Grigg have all shown positive signs so far this year. 2015 is basically a development year. We're building.

Last edited:
I fully expect Freo to be too good to us but a win tomorrow would be so huge for our season. With Carlton to come then Sloane, Smith, Hendo and potentially Douglas and Crouch back for the Hawks game at AO we could be sitting pretty in a few weeks.

I fully expect Freo to be too good to us but a win tomorrow would be so huge for our season. With Carlton to come then Sloane, Smith, Hendo and potentially Douglas and Crouch back for the Hawks game at AO we could be sitting pretty in a few weeks.
Yep its why I'm no nervous. We shouldnt win, but if we do it sets up the season.

I have little to no time for Brodie Martin but less for Hendo. What we don't need vs Freo, especially if it's going to be wet, is guys who don't want to put their body in the firing line. At least we know Martin will not shirk an issue.

These team sheets often mean nothing but Cameron named on a wing too. Would love to see this, even if it's only for a short sint in each quarter. If my memory serves correctly, he played most of his juniors as a wingman/half-back. He certainly didn't play crumbing small forward so he's still learning the role we're giving him and he's still very slight so gets bumped off very easily despit the effort you can see in him.

Charlie lacks fitness for this IMO

he started a ball up off half back in the betts/sloane role last home game- got involved for a bit, then was a liability for the next 5mins as he was visibly out on his feet. Think same last week when his poor defensive work was highlighted on the tv, he had just charged down the wing in offence, no doubt he was probably too stuffed to push back hard enough and as such got highlighted as it looked lazy

IMO one of the reasons he burns a lot of his chances, mixture of lack of composure to steady and the old jelly legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back