Preview Changes vs Hawthorn Rnd 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you reckon Jong will come in then Mof, or someone different?
Perhaps Darley again?
Picken plays a tagging role in the midfield which opens the door in the backline, unless they play Cooney as a HBF.

Personally I like the idea of trying Jong as a lockdown defender (similar height and slightly quicker than Dale Morris) but that's a whole other issue...

In Jones, Darley, Roberts, Higgins
Out Redpath, Wallis, Roughead, Cooney

Sorry I just don't see it with Redpath. Doesn't offer anywhere near enough offensively to combat his defensive work rate. His opponent ran off him all day.
Roughead should be put on ice until the rest of the season. I saw him holding his shoulder a couple times on the weekend, he's clearly not right. Roberts deserves another game given his form in the VFL.
Cooney needs a kick up the backside for his half hearted effort on the weekend. I think it's the most disappointed I've been in a player all season. Higgins looked good on the weekend and we could use his class.

Re watched a replay of the game. Why is everyone so dark on Austin? He probably played his best game for us, has a lot of toe for a key position player and can hold his head high after that game. It is not his fault that Carlisle kicked 8 goals.

I sometimes wonder what game people are watching? I am not saying, Roberts and Talia should not get games but Austin can't be dropped on that performance.

I was critical of a few things, but I will happily admit I wasn't able to sit uninterrupted through the full game. I'll give you my thoughts and we can discuss.

I didn't see Austin play on Carlisle at all, it was just Roughie and Morris. I would have thought that Austin should of at least had a go on him, given how dominant Carlisle was. Now, this is not necessarily Austin's fault, but my problem/questions is: If he wasn't deemed suitable by the coaching staff to swap onto Carlisle, what is he doing in the side ? Surely you need to have some flexibility in who you can play on if you are a tall defender ?

In addition, I didn't see him drop off his man to help either Morris or Roughie out in any significant way. The ball was only coming into 1 player 90% of the game, he could have played a few metres off his man and then acted as a third man up. He may have done this and I just missed it, or was too busy throwing the remote at things...

In addition, I happened to see him kick into a pack (from very close range), or into his opponent on a number of occasions. Not saying he is flying solo in this department, as we made a number of errors particularly late. IMO, he took some risky options better suited to players with better skills...

So I've added all this up and come up with the number 434985-295-08a8d09fa. It might be close or it might not...

Thoughts ?

Austin played on Ambrose didn't he and Ambrose was completely ineffectual.
Would bring in Tutt for Wallis and Jones for Cooney and let Cooney get some form and fitness (and accountability) in the 2s.
Boyd to do Wallys role.
Would also like to see Roberts in but don't know who else to drop.

Austin played on Ambrose didn't he and Ambrose was completely ineffectual.
Would bring in Tutt for Wallis and Jones for Cooney and let Cooney get some form and fitness (and accountability) in the 2s.
Boyd to do Wallys role.
Would also like to see Roberts in but don't know who else to drop.
Yeah that's his ideal match up, problem is it's also Mozs ideal match up so with our current set up one of them needs to play tall. I'd like to swap one of them (probably Austin) for Roberts.

Thing is Austin had a mixed game for me. Took a couple of important marks in the last quarter but at the same time a couple of little things like bad positioning and there was a bad spoil in the last quarter by him that instead of being a stoppage, it lead to a Essendon goal.

Where's gia at? Can't escape the feeling that we would have won if he was the sub. Nah well.
Yeah I reckon we might of. I said at the time after we kicked the first of the last quarter we just need one more goal to put them out of it, would have been well on top an the kids would have been flying, instead they kick the next one and you could just see them running over the top of us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where's gia at? Can't escape the feeling that we would have won if he was the sub. Nah well.
I thought the same thing. "Perfect time for the supersub" were my exact thoughts as Essendon kicked another.
But at the same time we would have won if Wallis hadn't have gotten injured, so it can't be just that.

OUT--Roughead-Walliss-Austin-Boyd-Minson-Stevens
Inn----Darley-Talia-Campbell-Honeychurch-Cordy-Jones

Why not give Campbell and Cordy a shot together...

Rest- Roughead-Minson-Boyd-Stevens
Wallis Injured and give Austin a week back at Footscray

Year is over so lets see these guys play....

I think we would've won had Tutt been the sub. We needed run in that last quarter desperately.

I'm liking this as well this year. We have players that nearly all agree were stiff to be left out of the side. Roberts a few weeks back, Tutt before him, Honey and Darley on the weekend... This is good news people... Depth is building...

He will play against the Giants, i believe he has already announced his retirement to the club.

I'm entertaining a theory that Campbell went to Queensland and didn't play against Box Hill so the Hawks didn't get a close look at the new and improved Campbell. So Campbell in and provides a different kind of threat to Jones plus genuine ruck chop out. Can't see Hawks being particularly worried by Jones but Campbell's size and one on one marking ability in the GS might allow our 2nd 3rd and 4ths a bit more latitude. Wallis out Honeybadger in. Will they or won't they drop Cooney after his net negative impact? I would so Tutt in. Roberts in for Austin if Roughy OK and Roughy if he's not but either way he's in. Jong could be a bolter for Wallis if they want a role player.
Hawks should be very very sore after playing Swans this weekend which will help us. I'd like us to continue the bashing for the first 3/4 the week after and run over them in the 4th. Stranger things have happened.

We were pretty competitive when we played them in Tassie last year.

Was at that much last year and we actually should've won it as we controlled a lot of play that day. Anything is possible this time round, when you have so many young players games can be so unpredictable!

Was at that much last year and we actually should've won it as we controlled a lot of play that day. Anything is possible this time round, when you have so many young players games can be so unpredictable!

Was that the game where we kicked the last 4 or 5 goals to bring the margin back under 30 points ?? If so, I don't think we can state that we should have won it having been out to close to a 10 goal margin in the last quarter....

Was that the game where we kicked the last 4 or 5 goals to bring the margin back under 30 points ?? If so, I don't think we can state that we should have won it having been out to close to a 10 goal margin in the last quarter....
This is true. Hawthorn hammered us for most of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back