Channel 7 - early verdict

Remove this Banner Ad

Only first game, hopefully they'll improve, but:
The crowd volume was too high, made it hard to hear the commentators
Commentators were nowhere near as good as Nine's FNF in 2006 - but should improve once they get used to working with each other
Annoying camera angles, hopefully just cause of Carrara
Didn't imagine I'd ever say this, but Tony Jones was way better than the boundary rider tonight, whoever it was.

i'm in Perth watching 7, with my fanitical 11 year magpie fan.

half way through the first quarter, my 11 year says:

"this sounds like the horse racing!, doesn't this bloke do the horses"

out of the mouths of babes

( he was 6 when Bruce last called footy, he had never heard of him)

Seems no one bothered watching fuxtel, OH well not surprised. ;)

If you had a choice to watch a close game or Collingwood getting thumped,which would you choose ?

;)

Ch7 should get rid of the term "field commentators".It's sounds Yanky.Stick with special comments and boundary rider.

You're a Pies supporter, seems the only ones bagging it out, are Pies supporters & Fuxtel people. I am loving it, it's free & no Eddy. :thumbsu:

No eddie last year either.
Collingwood supporters only ones bagging it :rolleyes: , why would foxtel people care, they have both :rolleyes: . And out of 100+ comments i counted about 10 that were positive. Good job 7:rolleyes:

sharpen your game 7. or 9 will have a field day my only excuse for them is the carara ground which may not of given them enough vantage points.

lets see what happens at the dome or the g. cazaly stadium wont be a fair call either.

biggest disapointment =cutting into the club song,

call quality= sounded like they were patting themselves on the back already, just for getting the footy back.

bring in SOME younger callers or stuff, not everyone watching footy is 60.

the one thing that i enjoyed was the result and the music used by 7 and the nab cup commercial, but then again i listen to gold fm,:D

The Ox will be great. Give him time to warm into the position...geez.

Bunch of whining babies.

sharpen your game 7. or 9 will have a field day my only excuse for them is the carara ground which may not of given them enough vantage points.

lets see what happens at the dome or the g. cazaly stadium wont be a fair call either.

True.

biggest disapointment =cutting into the club song,

True. You could tell Bruce was thrown by it and tried to cover up the fact that the screen just went black.

call quality= sounded like they were patting themselves on the back already, just for getting the footy back.

bring in SOME younger callers or stuff, not everyone watching footy is 60.

I think they just need more time to gel. And they have bought in younger people. Ox and Ricky. Surely you don't want MORE personell of such high class:D

the one thing that i enjoyed was the result and the music used by 7 and the nab cup commercial, but then again i listen to gold fm,:D

GOOD GOD NO!!! the music was the same crappy song all night (hopefully just a NAB cup thing) and as for the commercial... don't get me started!:( :thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't remember and problems with the Melbourne vs Adelaide game last year, except Melbourne being robbed :D That was on nine from Cararra.

I haven't seen any of it, sounds shocking by all accounts, has Bruce cut back his level of commentary? Read an article last year saying he'd be looking at a form of commentary where he lets the action speak for itself. :rolleyes:

Bet he couldn't help himself but yaffle and talk ******** all night.

GOOD GOD NO!!! the music was the same crappy song all night (hopefully just a NAB cup thing) and as for the commercial... don't get me started!:( :thumbsdown:

hey im 41 and i did say that i listen to gold fm;) :D

I'm well aware of that. The point is that the quality of the broadcast on a decent sized HD capable TV is terrible. The cricket on 9 was fine, the rubgy league Test (Aus v NZ) on 9 was great (both SD produced upscaled to 1080i). This rubbish 7 are serving up is utter garbage.

Did you see the Foxtel game tonight?

I have just had Foxtel update my digital box and I am now pumping DVI out to component and picture quality is still crapola on a 50 inch HD plasma screen.

Yes C7's idea of digital broadcasting is inferior to both C9 & C10 (especially with 10 about to go HD on Saturday nights) but you should never complain about the picture quality of C7 until you see the current diabolical effort from Foxtel.

And they call it digital television..............

DST
:D

What about FOX? Did anybody watch crows v power? Are they just using the same old fox footy graphics?

Pretty much the same, but tonight fox >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> channel 7

whereas last year fox was last in comparision with 9 and 10. Looks like 10 could be the premier footy broadcaster this year, years ago who would have thought that.

They had the cameras on the boundary fence (at Carrara), which i havent noticed before, and a camera way up in the air in a cherry picker, which is definitely a first, plus a few on some rickety looking scaffolding above the commentary box. I think the problems with the boundary cameras was highlighted by the fact that someone went over to one of the security guards on the ground in the second quarter and asked him to move coz he was in the way of the shot.

I think it was simply a halfarsed effort by seven.

I think people should cut them some slack. Its not easy to jump straight back into the swing of things after a fiver year hiatus. It was only 5 years ago when Channel Ten started and they were pretty amateurish as well. It will improve over the next few weeks. It didn't help that it was at Carrara either.

Having the scorecard graphic down the bottom didn't bother me much as well. It's less obtrusive then the Foxtel one which runs along the whole bottom screen.

The ch7 commentating didn't stand out. Which is exactly what I want. I'm there to watch and listen to the footy. Not all the extra sh_it the Ch9 guys throw in like bicep size and sock/shoe colour (ch9). Although Commetti hasn't obviously quite washed himself clean of that yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back