Social Science Children of the 90s

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 26, 2012
Block 123
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, FC St. Pauli
Being a child of the 90's is something I'll always look fondly upon. Cheez TV, Tamagotchis, dunkaroos, life was sweet :p

2 decades later and I've reached an age in which I have started to think deeply and thoroughly about my own existence, the nature of the universe, what it means to human and the nature of life itself.

I came across this today and it got me thinking about all the above, but also intrigued as to how other 90s kids see themselves and the world around them:
a2ayye.jpg

Incoherent mumblings aside, I thought I would start a discussion for the children of the 90's; how do you see the universe, humanity, life and all that junk?

I'm also interested in opinions from older posters as well; how do you perceive 90's children, are we generally ****holes, or have we done well in our transition to young adulthood?

I realise the scope of this thread is broad and it might not lead to much discussion, but why not try and see if it takes off.

Over to you, GD

We're the people Tyler Durden talks about in Fight Club, the middlemen of society.

Also, AFL where full forwards kick lots of goals, and don't tell me that has always happened, 3 of the top 4 are from that late 80s to 90s period. That was the peak of goal kicking. Not 19ticketytwo when the average game was 5.12 to 7.9

80's>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>90's

I was born in the early 80s and was still in school in the 90s, does that count?

- Footy where the players could yell at the umpire over a decision, which was actively bragged about on commercials promoting the game.
- Motor racing that was more inclusive, more unpredictable with great race tracks (Suzuka was once looked upon as an average race track, think about it).
- Watching Tv not knowing what was going to happen beforehand as everyone was watching at the same time, then all talking about it at school later.
- More adult films that weren't PG-13 nonsense, then studios selling toys based on those adult films to kids (Robocop, Terminator, Alien, etc). Its hard walking into a cinema now without knowing the characters from previous movies, books, or comics. So you already know motivations and in a way how the story will play out. Out of all their films have Marvel even done a sad/depressing ending?
- Decent Australian TV shows and movies.
- A world that wasn't angry at George Lucas

- Motor racing that was more inclusive, more unpredictable with great race tracks (Suzuka was once looked upon as an average race track, think about it).

You should of seen Bathurst in the late 70's early 80's.

- Watching Tv not knowing what was going to happen beforehand as everyone was watching at the same time, then all talking about it at school later.

Unless you watching when Molly died, you aint seen nufink.

- More adult films that weren't PG-13 nonsense, then studios selling toys based on those adult films to kids (Robocop, Terminator, Alien, etc).
i use to wave around luke skywalkers wand

- Decent Australian TV shows and movies.
Number ninety sex, copshop, sons and daughters, was pretty good.

I'm a child of the 80s and we had Sony Walkmans, I upgraded to a Sony Discman in the 90s which was state of the art back then (no such thing as iPods)

I've got no idea about Pokemon or Tamagotchis though as I was too old for that s**t.

Footy was definitely better back in the 90s as was music.

As I understand it, everything was better twenty years ago. When I was in my twenties, my folks assured me this was true as well.

I think it's definitely true when it comes to music being better in the 90s than it is now.

There were a heap of amazing bands around back then producing great albums, moreso than today, although I'm sure plenty of Gen Ys would beg to differ and say that's just because I'm older now and out of touch.

I think it's definitely true when it comes to music being better in the 90s than it is now.

There were a heap of amazing bands around back then producing great albums, moreso than today, although I'm sure plenty of Gen Ys would beg to differ and say that's just because I'm older now and out of touch.
I'm sure anyone 10 years older would say the same about 80s music compared to 90s music, even though it was all just hair metal and boring pop. You will always enjoy what you're familiar with most, and generally the stuff that came out as you were growing up is the most accessable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we're very ****ed, to be honest.

Our parents have left us a pretty average world. They were the ones who were the worst contributors to global warming. But they had a luxurious life – average people owned their own houses, the economy was decent, they had cheap prices and all the resources to themselves. They also get to retire at an okay age and will get a good pension. We'll be lucky to retire before 65 and I'll be shocked if our pension is anything more than beer money.

People say we get great technology, globalisation, and things like travel being way easier and cheaper... but at the same time, that's barely a consolation.

While it's great to be able to walk up to the footy for extremely cheap, with heaps of legroom and comfort and amenities, great transport links, and a basically stress-less day... I only ever got to a suburban ground once (though Subi should still be considered one). I could imagine the buzz and excitement of going to those different grounds in the 1990s. Going down to Moorabbin, up to Windy Hill, contemplating having the jatz to head to Vic Park.. I always love that feeling of a day trip and somewhere totally different and rare. Wish I could've experienced that. It can be a bit repetitive going to the same stadiums every weekend.

10308209_10152390023491645_7997500607825276104_n.jpg

This sums it up
I was born in the mid 90s but we never had iPhones in high school. About six or seven kids in the whole year group had the very first iPhones and that was in year 11 or something. I think I remember one of my mates getting the 4S in year 12.

If you were caught texting in class then, you were reamed. How is it now? I don't think anyone even got their phone out their pockets at lunch. Maybe to check the time or text someone who was going for a Maccas run or something, but now I imagine kids snapchatting their lunch time fights and using Tinder in double maths. Bizarre s**t.

I even consider MSN dying and smart phones being prevalent as my 'pre/post' internet, even though I can remember a time when dial up was so bad, you didn't even bother going online.

I think we're very stuffed, to be honest.

Our parents have left us a pretty average world. They were the ones who were the worst contributors to global warming. But they had a luxurious life – average people owned their own houses, the economy was decent, they had cheap prices and all the resources to themselves. They also get to retire at an okay age and will get a good pension. We'll be lucky to retire before 65 and I'll be shocked if our pension is anything more than beer money.

Baby boomers. It's not enough that they were gifted everything from their parents, they have to steal from their children as well.

At least on the whole video games have improved, although I still regularly played the classics from Nes to now.

Think I woulda went crazy with all the games where my gameplay was limited to "walk across a 2d landscape, jump, attack"

At least on the whole video games have improved, although I still regularly played the classics from Nes to now.

Think I woulda went crazy with all the games where my gameplay was limited to "walk across a 2d landscape, jump, attack"
Are you talking about games where that was what you did, or where that was literally what you typed in?

The '90's for me were all about 3 things:

Children's TV (Babar, Johnson & Friends, Mr Squiggle, Barney et al.)
Game shows.
Eurodance.

Born in 1991 so remember all that.

We're sandwiched between the clothesline swinging and metal playground attending generation and the synthetic turf and tablet and phone generation.

6pm, streetlights go on and we, the kids go inside without fuss.

I can't believe Bibra Lake was a suburb in the 90s!

The '90's for me were all about 3 things:

Children's TV (Babar, Johnson & Friends, Mr Squiggle, Barney et al.)
Game shows.
Eurodance.

Born in 1991 so remember all that.

We're sandwiched between the clothesline swinging and metal playground attending generation and the synthetic turf and tablet and phone generation.

6pm, streetlights go on and we, the kids go inside without fuss.
Interesting. I always like hearing different people's associations with the 1990s. To me, it wasn't really about Eurodance at all. I was born right at the peak of Britpop – Blur's Tender and Coffee & TV were on plenty of mix CDs, the last of my parents relevant CDs was stuff like Nirvana, Morning Glory, Bjork, the Trainspotting soundtrack. The most profound early musical memories are Nirvana's Unplugged in New York booklet as a toddler, and songs like Steal My Sunshine when I was a little older (a song I still find way too melancholy for what it is).

Their dress sense is so like... turn of the century. What a time capsule.

Also reckon the playground thing is interesting. I reckon most kids would have really vivid memories of basically having brand new parks. All the old metal and wood being replaced by that plastic coated stuff. I can still really clearly remember being in year 3, and we were changing school campuses, anyway we all got to trial that new bouncy stuff you get in parks these days. We were getting it in our new assembly area/gym, and the guy 'spruiking' it said he didn't think it'd actually catch on...

As I understand it, everything was better twenty years ago. When I was in my twenties, my folks assured me this was true as well.

My parents moved out here in their 30's They were basically giving away houses and public service jobs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back