Coaches under the pump - version 2014/15

Remove this Banner Ad

Buckley should be. In just 3 years he has taken at young team that had just played in a GF, got rid of a heap of those players, and created a team that cant make finals . Thing is if Buckley gets the arse, there will be calls foe Eddies head and he wont let that happen,

Which coaches in 2015 are under the pump to keep their jobs?
I would say the following coaches would have to make finals to keep their positions.

Brenton Sanderson
Guy Mckenna
James Hird

I'm excluding Buckley as I think even if me missed finals Eddie wouldn't sack him anyway, a failed 2016 would probably do it though.

Brendan McCartney is another but I'm not sure the Dogs could afford a sacking if things don't pick up but perhaps they would surprise and pull a Freo/Ross Lyon type scenario.
Either way he'd want to get to at least 10 wins next season.

Hird disgraced the club more than any other coach in memory, and they gave him a contract extension. I think he is safe for a few years.

Hird disgraced the club more than any other coach in memory, and they gave him a contract extension. I think he is safe for a few years.
All the more reason for him to be “unsafe”. If he is re-installed as coach and the club finds the negative attention he attracts is too much of a distraction, then they may have to make “plans”. I simply cannot see opposition crowds allowing Hird to forget what he has done

Ross is signed until the end of 2017, not going anywhere.

Yeah, cause coaches never get sacked before the end of their contract.........do they :rolleyes:

Personally, I think he's safe though.

Sanderson, McKenna, McCartney and Buckley for mine.

Sanderson: If he missed the finals for a 3rd year with what is a pretty good list I'd say he's in trouble.

McKenna: See above. Needs finals, as well as an improvement if/when Ablett not there.

McCartney: Needs to see some improvement after dropping off this year from the previous year. Needs double figure wins and to be competitive against the top sides more regularly.

Buckley: Whilst Eddie is unlikely to want to sack him, the collective of Collingwood supporters could make the difference here. If they fail to make finals and show any serious improvement then Buckley could be in strife. You don't want 80k of members unhappy.

You'll change your tune when he fails to win another premiership, his game plan will NEVER EVER win a grand final.

This is such a load of crap.

It's not Lyon's game plan that has cost his teams in Grand Finals, it's players cracking just 5-10% under the pressure.

If Milne, Schneider and McQualter stop with the smart arse dribble kicks/snaps in 09 the game would've been over at 3/4 time. If Fyfe and Ballantyne had kicked true in the first half of 2013 then Freo are in with a great chance. Not Lyon's fault they didn't convert.

No-one blames Bomber Thompson for Cam Mooney choking do they?

A toe poke, a once in a lifetime bounce and about half a dozen uncharacteristic misses and his game plan will NEVER EVER win a flag? He could be a 3 time premiership coach across 2 clubs that only have 1 flag in their combined history if it wasn't for some crazy bad luck that was totally outside his control.

I see Brad Scott as the most vulnerable. Has been there for longer than Sando, McKenna and McCartney, and to this minute has had a good side for a couple years without a finals win. All three will attract heat if they miss finals in 2015, but Scott will have less of an excuse. I just don't see Brad as a long-term coach, I always smelt a bit of Ratten about him. If North collapsed to bottom 6, he would almost certainly be shown the door.

Brad Scott is first on the firing line and the most likely to lose his job if he doesn't produce results. I think Brendon might be in a similar boat if Bulldogs don't improve. Sanderson is another if they don't make finals. I think the rest of the coaches are reasonably safe.

Sandos the big one. 4 players in the AA squad suggests there's a very good team there. They need to sort out the fringe, though. Maybe it's more of a list management problem

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sanderson needs to turn it around pretty quick if he's to keep his job. The Crows aren't a top 4 side by any means, but they've been under performing this year. If they get away to a 3-0 start again in 2015 then watch the sparks fly.

I thin Guy Mckenna will have some pressure on him, but I don't think they will rush to get rid of him if they miss the finals, unless they go significantly backwards. I could see he being given the arse Mark Harvey/Fremantle style if the club can convince a big name coach to take over.

Brendan McCartney should be right I think, as long as the Bulldogs show some improvement. I don't think there would be expectations of them making the 8 in 2015, but the development of the squad certainly needs to be heading in the right direction.

I'm not convinced Hird will be coaching in 2015 yet, but if he is then I expect he will be fine.

I'm not sure where Collingwood are at - if the clubs expectations are finals then I'd expect he'd be under real pressure should they falter next season. Personally I think the club is in the minor rebuild phase at the moment, and so long as the board agrees he'll be retained.

Under the pump
Sanderson - two years of no finals, very good team with strength across the field, should be better, a 3rd year of no finals and he'll be gone.
Hird - The saga, Bomber Thompson being a better coach and everything else, his every move will be scrutinised, might not be sacked, but he'll be under pressure.
McKenna - team has matured now, we saw what they were capable of and if he's to prove himself they need a plan B - i.e. win without Gablett.

The rest:
Buckley - A year or two out of the 8 won't kill the coach, but if performances really drop off he might be under pressure.

McCartney is safe for now, very young team, they've recruited well and I think a change of coach will set them back.

B. Scott should be taking the team to top 4, I would imagine if they have a 3rd year of inconsistency and if someone better is available they may jump. I'd expect North to rise and he'd be safe though.

Simpson, Leppa, Richardson and Cameron have a another year or two of honeymoon period until questions are asked. Simpson probably with the most pressure given he isn't coaching a bottom 4 team.

The rest are safe as houses be it through success, money restraints or otherwise.

Mckenna, Brad Scott, and Sanderson probably the most under pressure. Richmonds finish to the season has basically guaranteed Hardwick another season and McCartney is probably safe for another year, as is Malthouse The rest are either too newish or extremely stable (Chris Scott, Clarkson, Longmire, Hinkley, Lyon are all safe for obvious reasons.) Only Collingwood would sack their coach in the middle of a successful period.

It would be incredibly harsh to sack Sanderson.

Inherited a team going nowhere from Neil Craig
Had the team pillaged from the expansion clubs
Then had a hampered rebuild due to loss of draft picks for the admin doing the dodge with Tippett

If they had a disaster year ie finish bottom 6 and lose Dangerfield to FA, then sure, otherwise they would be crazy to sack him IMO.

We only took Phil Davis! Hardly pillaging!

Back on topic - Brad Scott probably would have gone this year if he hadn't made the finals.

Sanderson needs to make the eight, McKenna needs to win without Gazza.

What's the chance of a player revolt against Bucks?

Last edited:
This is such a load of crap.

It's not Lyon's game plan that has cost his teams in Grand Finals, it's players cracking just 5-10% under the pressure.

If Milne, Schneider and McQualter stop with the smart arse dribble kicks/snaps in 09 the game would've been over at 3/4 time. If Fyfe and Ballantyne had kicked true in the first half of 2013 then Freo are in with a great chance. Not Lyon's fault they didn't convert.

No-one blames Bomber Thompson for Cam Mooney choking do they?

A toe poke, a once in a lifetime bounce and about half a dozen uncharacteristic misses and his game plan will NEVER EVER win a flag? He could be a 3 time premiership coach across 2 clubs that only have 1 flag in their combined history if it wasn't for some crazy bad luck that was totally outside his control.

That Collingwood team that beat you was ordinary. If Lyon couldn't win a flag against that mob then his chances with an unadjusted game plan are bugger all. Fremantle dish up the same bullshit that St Kilda did under the biggest fraud in football.

Ross Lyon is a rotten coach. His record looks better than it is because he took over a side that Grant Thomas built and then shafted them once their premiership window was shut to go to a club in the mix….and he looks like making a mess of that too.

If he doesn't win it this year, he won't win it because any club that does their due diligence won't get sucked in by this campaigner.

McCartney has to be held accountable if the Western Bulldogs don't make the finals next season.

It'll be his 4th year, and by your 4th year of building a squad, especially one that had a decent base like the Bulldogs did, you should be able to get them contending for the Top 8.

10 wins is the absolute minimum for the Dogs, or Macca has to go. Ideally 12 wins and a finals birth, or just missing out on a finals birth by % or something.

I don't think there are many under extreme pressure, but Carlton, Adelaide and the Bulldogs are all sides that can't afford a poor first half of next year without the heat turning up on their coaches.

McKenna
Macartney
Sanderson
Buckley -if we have a similar year believe me he will be under the pump.
Hird- big mistake bringing him back

Sandos the big one. 4 players in the AA squad suggests there's a very good team there. They need to sort out the fringe, though. Maybe it's more of a list management problem
Or you could argue the team relies too much on 4 players

If the Suns don't make finals in 2015, or even if they only narrowly scrape into finals by percentage, McKenna is gone.

As for others, 2015 will be do or die for Sanderson and Buckley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back