Draft mechanisms under review

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok Well Pennant hills isnt near The Sydney Harbour Bridge isnt it?

I am sure Struggle Street in Mount Druitt is near The Sydney CBD lol.

Ok so Pennant Hills is at a North Western Suburb of NSW. its Still in the Western Half of NSW. As I posted earlier in other threads, I am suprised GWS didnt go after Lenny Hayes to make him play for GWS at the end of his career. Made sense as he is from Pennant Hills too. Last I heard he is part of the coaching staff at GWS.

Mark McVeigh spent his whole playing career at essendon. He is also part of the GWS coaching staff too.

So you think everything West of the Harbour Bridge is Western Sydney?

Pennant Hills is in the Hornsby Shire Council area and Hornsby is 100% not Western Sydney.

well this is and interesting map.... Its like that Sydney swans only has 20-25 % of the state , land wise while GWS has the rest.
Population-wise, it isn't too different, but GWS definitely have the faster-growing and historically richer grounds. It's always been amusing to me when people talk about Sydney's zone as though they would kill to be able to recruit from the Hunter Valley, Illawarra/Shoalhaven and the eastern suburbs of Sydney.

Ok Well Pennant hills isnt near The Sydney Harbour Bridge isnt it?

I am sure Struggle Street in Mount Druitt is near The Sydney CBD lol.

Ok so Pennant Hills is at a North Western Suburb of NSW. its Still in the Western Half of NSW. As I posted earlier in other threads, I am suprised GWS didnt go after Lenny Hayes to make him play for GWS at the end of his career. Made sense as he is from Pennant Hills too. Last I heard he is part of the coaching staff at GWS.

Mark McVeigh spent his whole playing career at essendon. He is also part of the GWS coaching staff too.
Pennant Hills is a bit of a weird place. It doesn't really match up to where it is. Culturally, it is closer to the northern suburbs (which is historically Swans territory) than the western suburbs (arguably GWS territory, if GWS actually has any territory). Geographically, it is a darn long way from the SCG or Homebush (but closer to Homebush).

A random Pennant Hills AFL fan would definitely be more likely to support the Swans, but I am not even sure that is what we are arguing any more.

Pennant Hills is a bit of a weird place. It doesn't really match up to where it is. Culturally, it is closer to the northern suburbs (which is historically Swans territory) than the western suburbs (arguably GWS territory, if GWS actually has any territory). Geographically, it is a darn long way from the SCG or Homebush (but closer to Homebush).

A random Pennant Hills AFL fan would definitely be more likely to support the Swans, but I am not even sure that is what we are arguing any more.

Problem is that Homebush really isn't Western Sydney either. Rooty Hill, which is where that training base was built for GWS would have been a much better location for a stadium.

Problem is that Homebush really isn't Western Sydney either. Rooty Hill, which is where that training base was built for GWS would have been a much better location for a stadium.
Hey, I don't even understand the argument! If we really wanted to grow GWS it should be based in Penrith or Blacktown though. The talent out there is insane, union is dying, and it is ripe for the taking.

But yeah, Pennant Hills is a weird place.

Hey, I don't even understand the argument! If we really wanted to grow GWS it should be based in Penrith or Blacktown though. The talent out there is insane, union is dying, and it is ripe for the taking.

But yeah, Pennant Hills is a weird place.
Argument was we shouldn't have had access to Braeden Campbell
He was from our zone (Pennant hills)

Doesn't show favouritism.
Shows they probably miscalculated the appropriate games figures for WaFL and Sanfl players.

You're looking at 16 father son teams. Vic's are 62.5% if that 16. So 75% is a bit over but not dramatic. Plus I suspect some of the inflated percentage is due to more romanticism as the fathers actually played for the club, so some pretty ordinary kids have been taken by Vic teams as f/s - particularly in the early days.
It definitely shows favouritism.

They acknowledged that they stuffed up the calculation for SA based clubs.

They included night games and ore season games in the calculations used to come up with 200 games.

Once they realised they made sure that they weren't counted towards qualification but made no effort to rectify the mis calculation.

If it was a Vic problem it would have been rectified.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Argument was we shouldn't have had access to Braeden Campbell
He was from our zone (Pennant hills)
Oh, thank you! Yeah it makes sense for Pennant Hills to be Swans land. Those are Swans supporters up there.

You can argue about whether Sydney paid enough or whatever, but I have absolutely no issue with PH being Swans zone. It makes sense.

What's the story with Port? Do they get Port Adelaide Sanfl players of 100 games or are they in a similar multi club many more games scenario to you guys?
Same as the other non elevated club based sides.

It's why 246 game, 4 x premiership player, 1 x premiership captain Daisy Borlase's son wasn't eligible for us yet was eligible for the Crows NGA as he was born in Egypt when his Dad was stationed there working for the wheat board.

well this is and interesting map.... Its like that Sydney swans only has 20-25 % of the state , land wise while GWS has the rest.
Hardly new, its been like that pretty much since GWS entered the comp.

If the Swans were having 3 players in the draft top 20 right now like Suns are their would be screaming and battering of the doors at AFL House. But any other northern team, nope. Thanks Eddie for the persecution.

It definitely shows favouritism.

They acknowledged that they stuffed up the calculation for SA based clubs.

They included night games and ore season games in the calculations used to come up with 200 games.

Once they realised they made sure that they weren't counted towards qualification but made no effort to rectify the mis calculation.

If it was a Vic problem it would have been rectified.

TBH. I think it's the wrong thing to complain about. Father Son for the conglomerate teams is a complete load of rubbish. A WCE/ East Fremantle fan gets to watch the son play for Freo as a nostalgic gesture? I suspect they tried to come up with an equal measure but didn't factor in the best players often produced the best sons and the best Claremont, Subiaco, Glenelg players didn't play enough games because they moved to the VFL. I just don't think it was bias at all. It was an attempt at equalisation that didn't quite work and frankly it may just be all down to luck as many Vic teams don't have a Ben Cousins father Son in their history or have had little more luck than Freo.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same as the other non elevated club based sides.

It's why 246 game, 4 x premiership player, 1 x premiership captain Daisy Borlase's son wasn't eligible for us yet was eligible for the Crows NGA as he was born in Egypt when his Dad was stationed there working for the wheat board.

It throws up some ludicrousy.

Why wasn't he eligible for you? His dad had played enough games and surely Port have access to Port sons? Did he not play them in the right time frame?

Bryce Gibbs was the bad one
Was it though? For most Crows fans, who didn't barrack for his dads team, it'd be like Tim Watson's's son being eligible for Collingwood.

The issue was that they stuck with, and despite tweaks, still stick with really discounted ways of recruiting these kids.

Was it though? For most Crows fans, who didn't barrack for his dads team, it'd be like Tim Watson's's son being eligible for Collingwood.

The issue was that they stuck with, and despite tweaks, still stick with really discounted ways of recruiting these kids.
Not sure how you come up with that...
Crows didn't have a SANFL team, Gibbs was from Glenelg the club aligned to the crows

I'm sure the Norwood fans who barrack for the Crows have wonderful memories of cheering on Daddy Gibbs.
The crows team is completely different to the SANFL
Do you think the Glenelg crows supports care about Michalaney?

Not sure how you come up with that...
Crows didn't have a SANFL team, Gibbs was from Glenelg the club aligned to the crows
I'm sure the Norwood fans who barrack for the Crows have wonderful memories of cheering on Daddy Gibbs.
They don't care. They just want to get a top 5 player for 3 3rd rounders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back