Coaching Roundabout - Coaching structure for 2015 finalised

Remove this Banner Ad

To the whole room as well. I'm actually astonished that could happen..
there is nothing wrong with Bomber's mental state. This is a concerted push to discredit the guy in case he says anything controversial, then it will be, "Oh that's just crazy old bomber again"

In the end, it's all speculation. Different people hear different snippets but it's never going to be the full picture.

Filling in the gaps, while a natural temptation for some, really doesn't serve much purpose.

Above all, we were lucky he took the role this year and the club owes him for it.

Since the B&F it's been hard to imagine him working with Hird, so I think it's probably for the best, especially without a clear role for him vacant.

That said, he did a tremendous job this season and I really hope the circumstances of his departure aren't as bad as some are making out, because this footy club needs to do everything it can to support individuals and maintain a strong culture because you feel it is on a precipe of sorts at the moment.

Yes I could see where you were going and I agree.

I think it's totally inappropriate for anyone to make comments about someone else's mental state. Especially at a sportsmanship night.
While I agree that, in our current unenlightened culture, we shouldn't speculate on one's mental health, I have a slightly different perspective in general.
We should be able to speculate about somebody's mental issues as much as we speculate about someone's physical issues. It's a disgrace that taboo/stigma results in us not talking openly, without fear of offending the subject. It inevitably results in people not seeking appropriate support whilst also compounding the feelings of alienation and worthlessness.

There's a bit of a difference between speculation and open discussion, though.

Personally I find it incredibly disrespectful. The bloke has given a tremendous amount to the club in very trying times.

We speculate about whether someone has damaged a hammy or got a corky. It really should be equated that similarly if we are to ever get beyond the damage of mental illness stigma.
One can be seen with our most powerful and perceptive sense; sight. When someone has a physical ailment, it is often readily visible. Mental ailments are not the same because they're usually more hidden. No amount of stigma will ever change that fact.

Anyway, we're getting off topic, but I think you'll find the main reason people are often so reactive to speculation on mental issues is, quite simply, it involves so much supposition, assumptions and guesswork. I think that's more prominent a reason than the stigma.

While I agree that, in our current unenlightened culture, we shouldn't speculate on one's mental health, I have a slightly different perspective in general.
We should be able to speculate about somebody's mental issues as much as we speculate about someone's physical issues. It's a disgrace that taboo/stigma results in us not talking openly, without fear of offending the subject. It inevitably results in people not seeking appropriate support whilst also compounding the feelings of alienation and worthlessness.
My issue is that this comment was made in an open forum by someone who may or may not have any inside information. This speculation can be harmful whether someone does or does not have mental health issues

My issue is that this comment was made in an open forum by someone who may or may not have any inside information. This speculation can be harmful whether someone does or does not have mental health issues
Whilst not saying 84859300 is full of s**t, we also need to bear in mind it's third hand information and I just find it very difficult to imagine an Essendon great telling a room full of random people those things unless they have an axe to grind.

Whilst not saying 84859300 is full of s**t, we also need to bear in mind it's third hand information and I just find it very difficult to imagine an Essendon great telling a room full of random people those things unless they have an axe to grind.
Beerfish I have no issue with 84859300 my issue is that someone from the EFC community whether past or present has potentially seen fit to make a comment on a persons mental state.

I find this inappropriate, and disrespectful.

Sorry if I'm sounding a little harsh

I'll leave it alone now

Beerfish I have no issue with 84859300 my issue is that someone from the EFC community whether past or present has potentially seen fit to make a comment on a persons mental state.

I'll leave it alone now
I fully agree with you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I find it incredibly disrespectful. The bloke has given a tremendous amount to the club in very trying times.
I'd find it inappropriate regardless of what he's given to the club.

It's none of our business.

Not much annoys me more than people talking about the personal lives of others; celebrity or not.

Last edited:

I'll leave it alone now
Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting you had an issue with 84859300 (amazing how easily I can type that username now I know what it means) and I completely agree with you.

I'm disappointed that it has ended this way.. with confusion, angst and now (imho) some BS rumours about some serious health issues.

I was disappointed about his speech and gutted about what that would mean for our club. It was always my preference through the year that Bomber would step back into a key developmental role and continue to support Hird as Senior Coach. It is sad that circumstances have meant this can't happen.

It is very disappointing that an EFC great, a fantastic coach and someone with such an amazing record has been lost and we didn't get a chance to say a proper good bye. I believe he deserved more.

I wonder if Thompson had his time again whether he would do things differently...

With Chappy signed now.. it looks like our coaching and list are finalised for next year, bar the two recruits and rookie list.

I only quote this Beerfish post to keep the context....

The information I received was by email - so I'm still yet to catch up and discuss in depth the full understanding of the detail.

Personally at the end of the day I see it as maybe some of you Bomber stepped in to coach while Hirdy was awaybut found out he still has the passion or maybe rediscovered it.In the end he wanted to be the head coach it seemed at the Bombers,I don't know really if any such role could've been cereated now at the Red&Black to have kept him there.We don't really know what was discussed between Bombers,Paul Little etc etc I mean maybe some of you guys may know some facts about it:D.

We speculate about whether someone has damaged a hammy or got a corky. It really should be equated that similarly if we are to ever get beyond the damage of mental illness stigma.
huh??? never seen anyone comit suicide due to a hammy twinge... but ur right, we should be able to speculate if bomber has advanced delusionary schizophrenia with involuntary narcissistic rage because if we can't then all things are not equal in the world and mental health issues will never get over this "hump" of having a stigma attached to them.

finally found this post so i can make my joke now

Sad Bomber is gone.

But hope he does not pay the 30K and embarrasses those dogs. I want to see him bait them to come after him.

afl: if you don't pay this fine we will prevent you from working at any AFL club and we'll also probably have discussions with our broadcast partners over any position you may have or wish to have with them.
thompson: lol i just embrassed you so hard n00b

huh??? never seen anyone comit suicide due to a hammy twinge... but ur right, we should be able to speculate if bomber has advanced delusionary schizophrenia with involuntary narcissistic rage because if we can't then all things are not equal in the world and mental health issues will never get over this "hump" of having a stigma attached to them.
You've selectively taken part of my post completely out of context. But I'm not surprised that this would occur when you put a view like this into an open forum.

I'm not condoning the speculation as it definitely could have shockingly bad consequences. Mental illness will continue to be an issue that results in suicide so long as it is spoken of in hushes and whispers. The aim is that eventually we, as a society, will be able to speak about it in the same way we speak of physical ailments. People avoid treatment because of the stigma attached. There should be no stigma. Then you can treat people before suicide becomes their only option. I hope that is clearer.

Apologies for the interruption, just wanted to say that the Thompson rumor is very, very unlikely. Average age of onset for Schizophrenia in males is late teens-mid 20s. It's not common after 30, and rare indeed after 40, esp. among men. He's an off beat guy, that was obvious from his time at Geelong. But speculating he has a serious psychosis (on a public forum, no less).... steady on.

FWIW, I am posting here as I am curious about Bombers career post Geelong. I thought he did a good job this season, all things considered.

I'll see myself out. All the best for season 2015.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back