News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

Wish Des swung the axe like Dimma does

Don’t follow the Titans much as you know Bodsy but does he have the luxury of bringing in a quartet like Witter Mac Mally and Humper plus a couple of highly touted off season recruits
We all know the key to any winning game plan is squad depth

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don’t follow the Titans much as you know Bodsy but does he have the luxury of bringing in a quartet like Witter Mac Mally and Humper plus a couple of highly touted off season recruits
We all know the key to any winning game plan is squad depth

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The short answer is “No”.

The short answer is “No”.
Excuse the ignorance here but I've always wondered why the Titans seem to lose a lot of their best juniors. Reece Walsh for example, born and raised Gold Coaster who played juniors at the Nerang Roosters, Keebra Park product etc. How does he end up at a rival club like the Broncos? Same question with Currumbin junior Xavier Coates, how so? These are Origin players who are Gold Coast products but somehow don't end up at the Titans. I don't get it.

Excuse the ignorance here but I've always wondered why the Titans seem to lose a lot of their best juniors. Reece Walsh for example, born and raised Gold Coaster who played juniors at the Nerang Roosters, Keebra Park product etc. How does he end up at a rival club like the Broncos? Same question with Currumbin junior Xavier Coates, how so? These are Origin players who are Gold Coast products but somehow don't end up at the Titans. I don't get it.
Players wanting to go to the big clubs

With Rugby League Juniors there is no protection and it’s a free for all and it generally comes down to money. None of it is in the salary cap because they aren’t on the main roster.

The Drongoes have tonnes of players on their junior books because they have the cash.

With Rugby League Juniors there is no protection and it’s a free for all and it generally comes down to money. None of it is in the salary cap because they aren’t on the main roster.

The Drongoes have tonnes of players on their junior books because they have the cash.
I know some of you here enjoy it but God that makes a garbage sport even more garbage.

I know some of you here enjoy it but God that makes a garbage sport even more garbage.
I legitimately do not see the appeal anymore.

and I preface this by mentioning (again) that I grew up 20mins from WIN Stadium and played both league and union as a kid.

But it doesn't resemble the skilful game anymore, It's just a bunch of meatheads "running it straight" and giving each other CTE like it's a badge of honour.

Not to mention anytime I do see news coming out of Rugby it's usually some kind of behaviour scandal. There's a distinct lack of likeable personalities coming from the players marketed as their billboard types.

I'm sorry if that upsets the people here that enjoy rugby league but it's upsetting for me to watch the game I grew up playing turn to s**t.

Yeah I hate it. It’s a terrible non-system. There are plenty of good GC kids on the books of not only the Drongoes but the likes of Melbourne, Souths and Easts.
Titans have very little money compared to other clubs so they just do their best to target the best they can.
Yeah it’s really crap.

I never get into the my version of football is better than yours because its what you grow up with and what you love but I do quote my grandfather who played for NSW Country and NSW in both Union and League
During the Depression he moved from the family farm at Condobolin down to his own in NE Victoria
He said that once he saw Australian Rules he never wanted to watch another game of rugby any form again in his life

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I didn't think the NZ Warriors were considered a big club and that's where Reece Walsh started his career upon graduation from Keebra Park High.
Walsh was a Drongoes listed player and he asked them to release him to NZ because he didn’t want to bide his time anymore.

Also I think the GC never bothered making a play for him because we were happy to invest in Brimson and Campbell as the long term fullback.

I never get into the my version of football is better than yours because its what you grow up with and what you love but I do quote my grandfather who played for NSW Country and NSW in both Union and League
During the Depression he moved from the family farm at Condobolin down to his own in NE Victoria
He said that once he saw Australian Rules he never wanted to watch another game of rugby any form again in his life
I think I can just about count on one hand the amount of Rugby games of either code I've watched since going to my first Suns game.

As if on cue, I saw a clip on reddit from last nights Roosters/Bulldogs game of a clothesline that would make JBL shed a tear.
Don't we have a NRL thread? This is about genius Hardwick era :)
I genuinely missed that this wasn't the other sports thread. My bad for letting it go this far.

Dimma is a genius and I won't hear otherwise.

That’s pretty damning on Dewy.

Is it improved self belief?
Change in training emphasis?
Better game plan?
Playing to our strengths?
All of the above but especially game plan. Dews game plan was win the ball at the contest and no plan B.
Whereas Dimma has a plan for winning the ball and then a plan for when we don't have the ball. We set up so so well for when we don't have the ball is blows my mind.

Richmond board ready to burn an effigy of Hardwick

Pretty ungrateful bunch considering how long they were irrelevant for
if hardwick won my club 3 flags and then pissed off i would still call him the messiah for the rest of my life haha

That’s pretty damning on Dewy.

Is it improved self belief?
Change in training emphasis?
Better game plan?
Playing to our strengths?
Listening to Collins, he mentioned several times confidence instilled by Hardwick.

IMO, keep the ball in our forward half at any cost is another one. I tried to understand our plan, players positioning against Hawks live but I was not wiser. I actually had a feeling that quite often some players were out of positions but then re-watching the game we controlled the game beautifully and were putting great pressure on Hawks ball movement causing turnovers. We defended well as a team. Obviously, dominating in the middle was decisive advantage.

I would say forward pressure is a key to Dimma's plan, even players like Miller are heavily involved in this.

Let's see how we go against better oppositions under more pressure. So far, we only won at home against average teams at best on game day.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back