Assistant Coach – Midfield: Shaun Grigg

Assistant Coach – Backline: Josh Drummond

Assistant Coach – Forwards: Brad Miller

VFL Head Coach & Head of Development: Tate Kaesler

Development Coach: Nick Malceski

Development Coach: Richard Douglas

Director of Coaching – Academy: Rhyce Shaw

Kaesler to VFL is interesting. I assume Grigg is the Senior Assistant

I think we shouldn't underestimate how attractive it would be to Dimma to get his hands on high end draft picks.
With Richmond famously finishing 9th every year for a while and then Premiers young guns were few and far between.
Of course we know first hand that Richmond bought ready made stars or cherry picked the State Leagues for talent.
I get the impression moulding a young list and getting super 18yo talent is what will be a big part of giving him the drive to succeed and turn up to work every day.Should be very exciting for him-and for us if he can finally start turning more of our rough diamonds into gems

Just saw Dimma at bunnings burleigh. He double take looked at me. Just realised i had my suns cap on 😂
Seen him a few times at Burleigh beach over the last few weeks. Fair to assume Dimma is living in Burleigh along with a lot of the players - living the dream. I'm sure he was happy to see a Suns supporter that wasn't going to bother him in his private time.

I think we shouldn't underestimate how attractive it would be to Dimma to get his hands on high end draft picks.
With Richmond famously finishing 9th every year for a while and then Premiers young guns were few and far between.
Of course we know first hand that Richmond bought ready made stars or cherry picked the State Leagues for talent.
I get the impression moulding a young list and getting super 18yo talent is what will be a big part of giving him the drive to succeed and turn up to work every day.Should be very exciting for him-and for us if he can finally start turning more of our rough diamonds into gems

They didn't actually finish 9th that often.

They also had some nice high picks. Deledio, Cotchin, Martin, etc. Not as many as GC, but they got some quality from the top end of the draft.

The curious part this year is that a new coach coming in often makes some changes and draft to suit their goals, but Hardwick was stuck with taking the available academy picks in the draft, so he didn't have much by way of choices/flexibility/influence over the playing list.

Be interesting to see how next year goes in that regard. Indeed, given the academy looks like becoming a production line we might be faced with some interesting decisions over the coming years as list management requirements don't match up with what is coming through.

They should have written about the 'flaw' when the Nick Daicos bid came at pick 4 and the Pies used picks 38, 40, 42 and 44 to match.

But they would have been shouted down by all the Pies fans, including those in the media.

So they waited for a small northern club to do the same thing, then make the 'flaw' the focus.

We get it, but sadly I suspect the people writing it actually don't get it. 'Careful' coverage of the big Melbourne teams is just baked in.

They should have written about the 'flaw' when the Nick Daicos bid came at pick 4 and the Pies used picks 38, 40, 42 and 44 to match.

But they would have been shouted down by all the Pies fans, including those in the media.

So they waited for a small northern club to do the same thing, then make the 'flaw' the focus.

We get it, but sadly I suspect the people writing it actually don't get it. 'Careful' coverage of the big Melbourne teams is just baked in.
I think it’s the fact that it is four players that irks people. Their narrow-minded brains just see it in the same vein as North getting compo picks to take 5 first round picks, or a continuation of draft night “handouts” to our club.

Never mind we don’t have next gen academies or father-sons. This is all we have for some time, and four first round players is quite the anomaly for an academy.

Unfortunately, I can see a knee-jerk reaction coming for academies…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it’s the fact that it is four players that irks people. Their narrow-minded brains just see it in the same vein as North getting compo picks to take 5 first round picks, or a continuation of draft night “handouts” to our club.

Never mind we don’t have next gen academies or father-sons. This is all we have for some time, and four first round players is quite the anomaly for an academy.

Unfortunately, I can see a knee-jerk reaction coming for academies…
To be fair, not all media. I watched AFL draft on Kayo and analysts Ablett and old man Sheehan mentioned several times that this is fantastic outcome and it should be celebrated. Saying that some changes are coming as flagged by AFL.

At least we have a coach with some balls now. Can see him biting back a bit next year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We need personalities like this up here. Our Coch has been replaced with a Harddick.

What a man. I’ve already got a hard on.
Hardwick will be massive for Suns and QLD footy

I both love and hate how Dimma continues to openly push the idea that we need to be much better offensively.

Playing with more freedom and creativity and not sticking to archaic structure at all times is so needed with this list and I am excited to hopefully enjoy watching us play.

However, WTF was happening at the club where some bloke can come in off 6-months sipping limoncello in Europe and see that the way we played is an issue on Day 1 of the pre-season? Was it yet another case of ‘its Dew’s way or the highway?’ Or were the other coaches complicit? Either way, shows the change we made was clearly needed.

Dew I feel did develop our contested game, so that would be something that Dimma won't have to focus on so strongly.
I can’t fault the effort, diligence or fitness of most of our list. It’s doing something with any of that that I want to see. Time to see if Dew was the main contributing problem…

I do like the way Dimma speaks though. Maybe I just haven’t gotten used to his generic lines yet, so everything seems more genuine. He even dropped a New Balance product placement in the interview—bloke knows what he is doing.

I both love and hate how Dimma continues to openly push the idea that we need to be much better offensively.

Playing with more freedom and creativity and not sticking to archaic structure at all times is so needed with this list and I am excited to hopefully enjoy watching us play.

However, WTF was happening at the club where some bloke can come in off 6-months sipping limoncello in Europe and see that the way we played is an issue on Day 1 of the pre-season? Was it yet another case of ‘its Dew’s way or the highway?’ Or were the other coaches complicit? Either way, shows the change we made was clearly needed.
I reckon Dimma foreshadowed this in initial press conference back in August. Remember when he said Steven King stole some of his tactics and that he was going to expand further on that? We saw that on display in the QClash when it appeared the shackles were released and our guys played with the freedom that allowed them to really dominate a top 2 team. I remember guys like Ainsworth looked incredible in that game and it really made you wonder if Dew was actually doing more harm than good when it came to the development of these young players.

Dimma made it clear that he did his research on our list prior to agreeing to join the club so you'd think he would have done a full analysis of all this stuff. Don't forget, we're talking about a pretty exceptional coach here. Arguably the best coach of the modern era and I still can't really believe we are the club that managed to land his signature, but here we are and I'm so excited for 2024!

I reckon Dimma foreshadowed this in initial press conference back in August. Remember when he said Steven King stole some of his tactics and that he was going to expand further on that? We saw that on display in the QClash when it appeared the shackles were released and our guys played with the freedom that allowed them to really dominate a top 2 team. I remember guys like Ainsworth looked incredible in that game and it really made you wonder if Dew was actually doing more harm than good when it came to the development of these young players.

Dimma made it clear that he did his research on our list prior to agreeing to join the club so you'd think he would have done a full analysis of all this stuff. Don't forget, we're talking about a pretty exceptional coach here. Arguably the best coach of the modern era and I still can't really believe we are the club that managed to land his signature, but here we are and I'm so excited for 2024!
i look at dimma the way the players in your avatar look at eachother

Dimma definitely knew what list he had before he signed up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back